Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dept of defence

Options
  • 07-04-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi anyone know what changes they made in the department of defence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

serious cuts, hot waters been turned off in block for the last 2 days haha. Seriously though i dont know the exact details but rest assured the defence budget will be fleeced as were a "neutral" country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The same freeze on promotions as in the gardai, departmental wide freeze on recruitment - both of these measures run into the reserves too, same pay cuts, levys as all other civil servants, probably not as drastic a reduction in annual budget next year as some of us think, mostly due to the Chad mission being re-hatted to (and now mostly funded by) UN, which should save quite a bit over last years costs. Apparently new the ships (much needed) and the new mine protected RG32M LTAV acquisitions will not be affected.

Expect reshuffling of a few things internally, but think that the freeze on promotions is not necessarily a good thing with the full timers for same reasons as their garda colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

They're saving 11mEUR, according to the budget projections. In all likelyhood they'll lean in again next budget, and the one after that, as long as they don't cut back on No. 2's and a square to practice marching in time for 2016 it'll be alright. Still, for the moment it's ok compared to days gone by, from what I see.

Advertisement