Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats does it take to make a good moderator

• 07-04-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Ok been pretty new here i realise i have no idea of the bigger picture or the everyday problems that may take place but...........
    and its a big but
    who are the moderators from now on known as the mods this is what they seem to like to be referred to as..so what makes a mod how do you become one and does anyone mod the mods
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Common Sense.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

but see the problem with common sense is its not so common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Mods are picked by the admins of the site. If an existing forum or new forum needs a mod they look at who are good contributors to the area of interest, if they have a level head and a good posting history then it might just happen. If a forum needs a new mod or an old mod is stepping down then the other mod/s can make suggestions to the admins but again the final decission is down to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Are you referring to boards in general or asking who the mods of the noc forum are?

From the definition in FAQ...
    Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

sorry ??? "it might just happen "you make it sound like the holy grail is it like a vocation to become a mod do they get paid ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Personally I think it's common sense for this not to be in the Nocturnal forum. Sending feedback ways as I think it's a loaded q.

What does it take to be a mod? Patience, free time, some form of numbing addiction such as alcoholism helps.

so we have people with a lot of free time and substance abuse...........hmmmmmmmm sounds very political to me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Are you referring to boards in general or asking who the mods of the noc forum are?
    I think his query stems from adverts support where he was having trouble understanding the adverts rules.

ah see you talk to me in third person ;) my thread was started to get the views of the users of the site but you mods telling me the reasons for your existance and your values but i must admit i like the substance abuse confession ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ok so no money involved so whats the reward is it a power trip and whats to stop it becoming one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ok so no money involved so whats the reward is it a power trip and whats to stop it becoming one
    You are a troll and a very poor one at that. Thats me addressing you in the first person.

ok is a troll a code word on here or was that an insult ;)

can you please explain the context of which you refer to me as a troll ..
    muffler wrote: »
    You are a troll and a very poor one at that. Thats me addressing you in the first person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Common sense, a level head, and an interest in the progression of a forum, whether it's by stimulating conversation on a new forum, or keeping a well run forum going.

Just making it easier for folk of all post counts to post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have an issue with a mod action then you start by pming them and thier co mods in that forum.
    IF you are still not happy then contact the catagory moderator, if the issues can not be resolved then start a thread in the help desk to have the matter looked into by the smods/admins.

There is a chain of command and a process by which mod actions are reviewed.

Mods do not get paid we give of our time to help contribute to a community we are part of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What is a troll ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
    An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion

wow so i was pretty much insulted then .. thank you, nice ,so please one of you try moderate your mod god .. because my posts ,if he cared to follow them were all on topic ,the topic was about a ban, the ban was handed out my a mod to a guy for off thread trading.My posts were all about modsand asking what was this off thread trading. which actually lead me to starting this post and in fairness just because someones a mod does not mean that we can not have fun on a thread or must we all follow the mods line..or maybe it means that because they can just ban us on give us point as they see fit.they might like to use that power
    ok thanks for an insight into the mind of the mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You must posess the heart of a lion and the stride of a zebra. Weapon Proficiency in longbows is also preferred. Chaotic Evil alignment is not a disqualifying trait, but you will lose your fortitude bonus when you apply.

/actually 6th said it best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wow so i was pretty much insulted then .. thank you nice so please one of you try moderate your mod god .. because my posts if he cared follow them were all on topic the topic was about a ban the ban was handed out my a mod my posts were all about mods which actually lead me to starting this post and in fairness just because someones a mod does not mean that we can not have fun or all must follow there line..or maybe it means that because i guest they can just ban us on give us point as they see fit.
    ok thanks for an insight into the mind of the mods
    Mods have to be able to understand gobbledogook posts, like this one.....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hrrrmm what does it take to make a good mod?

Someone who cares about their forum.
    Someone who cares about the well being of the posters on the forum they moderate.
    Someone who is diplomatic enough to see sense and take appropriate action.
    Someone who is levelheaded enough not to abuse the above characteristic.
    Someone then to tell people like the OP that what is understood doesn't need to be discussed.

... wait, how the hell did i get this gig in the first place then?! :rolleyes:
    Bottom line, you got canned from adverts because you didn't read the rules, you'll know better for next time, but in the meantime you're making no friends this way. Just some food for thought. ;)

??? "making no friends" by doing what questioning the ethics of certain mod-gods seriously guys chill
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Hrrrmm what does it take to make a good mod?

Someone who cares about their forum.
    Someone who cares about the well being of the posters on the forum they moderate.
    Someone who is diplomatic enough to see sense and take appropriate action.
    Someone who is levelheaded enough not to abuse the above characteristic.
    Someone then to tell people like the OP that what is understood doesn't need to be discussed.

... wait, how the hell did i get this gig in the first place then?! :rolleyes:
    Bottom line, you got canned from adverts because you didn't read the rules, you'll know better for next time, but in the meantime you're making no friends this way. Just some food for thought. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

can you please explain the context of which you refer to me as a troll ..
    A Troll is someone who makes a post in an effort to get an argument going or in attempt to upset the process of the thread.

Here is a fine example on another of your trolling posts. In this case you said this in an attempt to upset a polish guy who made a post just before you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think OP is wondering because of this post
    are the mods gods ??? is there a anti mods forum who appoints the mods and why they want to be mods come on ok we need get some mod info here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

who are the moderators from now on known as the mods this is what they seem to like to be referred to as
    Nah, it's just an abbreviation anyone would use.
    sorry ??? "it might just happen "you make it sound like the holy grail is it like a vocation to become a mod
    "It might just happen" is just a figure of speech.
    so we have people with a lot of free time and substance abuse...........hmmmmmmmm sounds very political to me ;)
    That was a tongue-in-cheek comment.
    my thread was started to get the views of the users of the site but you mods telling me the reasons for your existance and your values
    Was it? Looked like you wanted to know who mods are.
    ok so no money involved so whats the reward is it a power trip
    Not everyone needs a reward to justify certain things they do - some people just enjoy contributing in that capacity and if they're really interested in a forum, are happy to have a hand in the running of it.
    and whats to stop it becoming one
    Reprimand from co-mods/category mods/site mods/admins. Oh and whingeing from a small but vocal minority of members. ;)
    wow so i was pretty much insulted then .. thank you, nice
    Oh no, it was an observation in accordance with your style... not an unprovoked attack.
    so please one of you try moderate your mod god because my posts ,if he cared to follow them were all on topic ,the topic was about a ban, the ban was handed out my a mod to a guy for off thread trading.My posts were all about modsand asking what was this off thread trading. which actually lead me to starting this post and in fairness just because someones a mod does not mean that we can not have fun on a thread or must we all follow the mods line..or maybe it means that because they can just ban us on give us point as they see fit.they might like to use that power
    Oh so you wanted to air a grievance. Why didn't you say so from the start instead of disguising it as a general query about moderators?
    The gist I personally get is you were questioning a moderating decision on-thread - threads aren't the place for that, private messaging is.
    Mods are there to draw attention to the rules which exist in the first place (i.e. the mods didn't make them up) - if what you mean by "have fun" is to break those rules, well a mod reprimanding you is perfectly reasonable, no?
    And maybe they do so because it's simply what they're expected to do (as mods) rather than simply wanting to use the "power"?
    Honestly, mods aren't out to get you. If people just abided by the charter rules, they'd hardly notice the mods were there at all.
    ??? "making no friends" by doing what questioning the ethics of certain mod-gods seriously guys chill
    "Making no friends" is again, a figure of speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

A Troll is someone who makes a post in an effort to get an argument going or in attempt to upset the process of the thread.

Here is a fine example on another of your trolling posts. In this case you said this in an attempt to upset a polish guy who made a post just before you.

Totally off topic but I have to ask,was albert-bundy even warned for this comment.People get banned for calling other posters a clown but a racially inflammatory comment like this,aimed at 2 different ethnic groups (appears) to get away scot free.:eek:

Apologies if it has been addressed already,I would just find it slightly worrying if it hadnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Totally off topic but I have to ask,was albert-bundy even warned for this comment.People get banned for calling other posters a clown but a racially inflammatory comment like this,aimed at 2 different ethnic groups (appears) to get away scot free.:eek:

Apologies if it has been addressed already,I would just find it slightly worrying if it hadnt.
    I reported it but its in an extremely low traffic forum so it might not be picked up on yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If this is about an issue the op has with adverts mods why is it the boards feedback forum? Should this not be in the adverts support forum or somewhere like that? Boards mods and adverts mods are not the same thing, adverts mods have no powers on boards at all unless they also happen to mod specific forums here, but even then they are still seperate from their position as adverts mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ok been pretty new here i realise i have no idea of the bigger picture or the everyday problems that may take place but...........
    and its a big but
    who are the moderators from now on known as the mods this is what they seem to like to be referred to as..so what makes a mod how do you become one and does anyone mod the mods

can I ask you a question? If you have some beef with somebody, would you ever have the balls to just come out with it, and stop throwing loaded questions about? You'd get a lot more respect if you did. The fact that you're unwilling to request a straight answer to a straight question just leads me to question your integrity. Gracias.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Referring to mods as mod-gods, is not helping your case. It makes you look even more trollish. You also don't appear to be questioning the ethics of any particular mod, you're just firing off loaded question that are intended to provoke negative or defensive responses. Again, very toll like behavior.

Whether you like it or not, you are a troll, but given the lack of fiery or argumentative responses, I'd have to agree with muffler's opinion, that you are not a very good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement