Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats does it take to make a good moderator

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

i think if you read the rest of the previous threads you will see the comment was not so bad and actually jovial but of course that depends on a persons sense of humor or lack of it... and please see where the chat also finnished do you guys even know who pawel and magda are ???
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    Totally off topic but I have to ask,was albert-bundy even warned for this comment.People get banned for calling other posters a clown but a racially inflammatory comment like this,aimed at 2 different ethnic groups (appears) to get away scot free.:eek:

Apologies if it has been addressed already,I would just find it slightly worrying if it hadnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Whats makes a good mod?

being the polar oppsite of me would increase your chance of becomming a mod to the point of being unmeasurable

O.K THIS TOPIC IS GREAT ;) see we are getting all the mods united and rallying to defend each other tis great to see and as regard to my integrity i think thats a pretty sly comment imagine if i was a moderator ;) i would have to strongly advise you to refrain from assuming things about me
    tbh wrote: »
    can I ask you a question? If you have some beef with somebody, would you ever have the balls to just come out with it, and stop throwing loaded questions about? You'd get a lot more respect if you did. The fact that you're unwilling to request a straight answer to a straight question just leads me to question your integrity. Gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

O.K THIS TOPIC IS GREAT ;) see we are getting all the mods united and rallying to defend each other

Actually, i didn't defend one single mod in my response to you. You asked a question, I answered it based on my own experiences. So i would appreciate it if you didn't tar us all with the one brush.

Oh wait, you did that from the get go, didn't you?
    God, i love being right. :)

I am not trying to provoke a negative response but i think your post is really very negative, i mean loaded questions to get a responce??? is this not a chat forum ,Do question not lead to answers ,that lead to threads ..are my questions so bad so negative or are they striking a cord close to home to the point i am the one thats getting very vailed but relative nasty comments .
    jor el wrote: »
    Referring to mods as mod-gods, is not helping your case. It makes you look even more trollish. You also don't appear to be questioning the ethics of any particular mod, you're just firing off loaded question that are intended to provoke negative or defensive responses. Again, very toll like behavior.

Whether you like it or not, you are a troll, but given the lack of fiery or argumentative responses, I'd have to agree with muffler's opinion, that you are not a very good one.

• Advertisement

;) you do realise that the people who usually rejoyce in been right are the ones not used to been so ...just a thought !!
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Actually, i didn't defend one single mod in my response to you. You asked a question, I answered it based on my own experiences. So i would appreciate it if you didn't tar us all with the one brush.

Oh wait, you did that from the get go, didn't you?
    God, i love being right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Common Sense.!

Unfurtunately some of them dont apply it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

O.K THIS TOPIC IS GREAT ;) see we are getting all the mods united and rallying to defend each other tis great to see and as regard to my integrity i think thats a pretty sly comment imagine if i was a moderator ;) i would have to strongly advise you to refrain from assuming things about me

I don't think it's sly at all I think it's pretty obvious what I'm saying.

CAn I just assume a couple of other things?

I'll assume you broke the rules
    I'll assume someone pulled you up on it
    I'll assume you felt like your rights were being oppressed (I'm guessing here you saw someone else do something similar to what you were pulled up on and you didn't see them get punished)
    I'll assume you fought your corner and
    I'll assume you got banned - site banned.
    I'll also assume that you re-regged and generally kept your nose clean, but couldn't give up on your grudge against the mods, and started having little jabs at them at any opportunity. sly jabs, you might say.
    I'll finally assume that you didn't get the reaction you wanted and thought it'd be funny to start a mod-bashing thread in here, in much the same way as the "rebel" in first year thought it was deadly to stick his two fingers up at the teacher when the teachers back was turned.

If you have a gripe, and you obviously do, then why not just come out with it? The only reason I can possibly think of why you'd not just come out with it is that you know you don't have a case. So instead, this.

Go on - marks out of ten for that. 1? 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Being a mod clearly requires an immeasurable amount of patience.

I - lacking patience - would've banned your ass for trolling, and generally being an irritation 30 posts ago. This is why i am not a mod.

I'm impressed they're humouring you for so long. No matter how eloquently you try to phrase/hide it, this whole thread is just your whiney little soap-box.

You dont have to like or appreciate the administration around here. You also dont have to stay. Feel free to protest the supposed idiocy of the mods by permanently deleting your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

see we are getting all the mods united and rallying to defend each other tis great to see
    Wow, that's a really original comment that doesn't get trotted out every few seconds on Feedback/Help Desk! ;)
    Get this: there are moderators that cannot STAND each other. But yes, they are all united on one thing - they know what it's like to put up with sh1t from people who have a chip on their shoulder in relation to/are obsessed with moderators.
    and as regard to my integrity i think thats a pretty sly comment
    He only said certain stuff you posted and the manner in which you posted it was causing him to question your integrity - he's entitled to surely, no?
    imagine if i was a moderator ;) i would have to strongly advise you to refrain from assuming things about me
    But he's not assuming anything about you - just speculating, based on what YOU have posted.
    And you can only act as a moderator in the forums which you moderate, so here, he is a member like you (look at the forums he moderates - you will not see Feedback there).
    I am not trying to provoke a negative response but i think your post is really very negative, i mean loaded questions to get a responce??? is this not a chat forum ,Do question not lead to answers ,that lead to threads
    What Jor El means by "loaded questions to provoke a negative/defensive response" is: there is more to what you're posting than meets the eye - i.e. you've an agenda to have a go at mods. And you do, don't you? Based on a gripe? It's pretty obvious.
    ..are my questions so bad so negative or are they striking a cord close to home
    The former - there's nothing "close to home" or "striking a chord" about them. That's just one of the usual assumptions by people who have never moderated. I used to sometimes make assumptions like that before I moderated (although I wasn't as OTT paranoid as some people are). There probably is a minority of moderators who take liberties, as is the case in any large group, but they do so because they're opportunistic assholes, not moderators. Perhaps don't tar all moderators with the same brush.
    i am the one thats getting very vailed but relative nasty comments .
    Just because you're being justifiably suspected of trying to have a go at mods/stir up sh1t in a roundabout way, doesn't mean the comments in relation to same are "nasty".
    Stuff isn't nasty just because you don't like reading it. ;)
    ;) you do realise that the people who usually rejoyce in been right are the ones not used to been so ...just a thought !!
    Moot point: he's right this time.

• Advertisement

wow you assume a lot and you know the old saying ass u me ass of you not me ;) marks out of ten about 3 maybe 4 and i started this thread in responce to another thread about a person getting banned not me i got banned long time ago for a few days for mentioning a product-service it was in my first ten threads... am i hiding an agenda .......nope but do i find some of the mod gods remarks condesending yes 10 out of ten on that one..
    maybe they should have mod school ;) and lighten up this is open chat it does not mean i have a bad agenda or as you call it am mod bashing ..and your remarks about the rebel in the classroom are really quite strange
    sorry for hurried reply just off to review a movie
    tbh wrote: »
    I don't think it's sly at all I think it's pretty obvious what I'm saying.

CAn I just assume a couple of other things?

I'll assume you broke the rules
    I'll assume someone pulled you up on it
    I'll assume you felt like your rights were being oppressed (I'm guessing here you saw someone else do something similar to what you were pulled up on and you didn't see them get punished)
    I'll assume you fought your corner and
    I'll assume you got banned - site banned.
    I'll also assume that you re-regged and generally kept your nospe clean, but couldn't give up on your grudge against the mods, and started having little jabs at them at any opportunity. sly jabs, you might say.
    I'll finally assume that you didn't get the reaction you wanted and thought it'd be funny to start a mod-bashing thread in here, in much the same way as the "rebel" in first year thought it was deadly to stick his two fingers up at the teacher when the teachers back was turned.

If you have a gripe, and you obviously do, then why not just come out with it? The only reason I can possibly think of why you'd not just come out with it is that you know you don't have a case. So instead, this.

Go on - marks out of ten for that. 1? 2?

Dude... you write movie reviews?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm a crap one so I couldn't tell you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I spent over 40 seconds looking at some of your previous posts and all I see is the same troll here tonight again but with a bigger post count. Thats the only difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dudess wrote: »
    Dude... you write movie reviews?
    You should know better than make reference to the P word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

When your words carry the strength so that the editorial buttons don't need to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you have an issue with a mod action then you start by pming them and thier co mods in that forum.

Pop Quiz ^___^

You have just been temp banned from a forum for not reading the charter and posting something that everyone in the forum is so sick of you didn't even get a warning. You PM the mod of the forum. Which one should you use to ensure that the ban would be rescinded or temp at best?

(a) "Hey fuktard! Your the biggest fuktard from fuktard village on top of fuktard mountain. I have freedom of speech you Nazi! You can't ban me!!!!"

(b) "Hi, sorry I should of read the forum charter. As it was my first post can I come back? I will behave. Thanks."

This quiz is actually quite hard (based on temp bans I've given).

Well that's easy Hobbes. Obviously it's the first one. Didn't you read it? (S)he said: "I have freedom of speech, you can't ban me!"

Like, duh...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not seeing the purpose here. You're not even trying to get anything repealed, you're just troll-baiting and twisting posts around with your winks and giggles.

I mean c'mon, a petition to release Brian, at least. After Hours is a chat forum. Feedback is for feedback. If you have a suggestion, make it here, and make it plain. If you have a problem, there is the Help Desk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

This thread has reached the end of it's life.
    B

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement