Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs on Good friday

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

hey guys i was just wondering if the bars in limerick still "officially" close on good friday or is there anywhere to drink on good friday. id hate to waste a good night(excuse the pun). im not really into the whole house party thing as i like to be social and talk to strange girls in the hope that they take advantage of me:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hotel bars, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Francis Kellys' shebeen in Lilac Court, Southill. I doubt if he will take too much notice of the licensing laws on Good Friday. Just bang really loud on the back door and shout "Open up Mr Kelly, we know you're in there". Then duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Francis Kellys' shebeen in Lilac Court, Southill. I doubt if he will take too much notice of the licensing laws on Good Friday. Just bang really loud on the back door and shout "Open up Mr Kelly, we know you're in there". Then duck.

good way of getting a few shots in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I'd say that majority of pubs will be closed. Most, (I think), use Good Friday to do some painting and redecorating. The bar I used to work in did this on Good Friday anyway.

yea same in a few i know of. ah sure i guess its a long weekend anyway wouldnt do too much harm to take it easy and get a bit of fresh air that day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Sibin is owned by Anthony Kelly. Great place for a pint. 3 euro a drink. No closing time. Yup Yup. Manys the time me and Speakingclock oftne spent a few days up there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can ye not do without drinking for one night? There will be enough done on Sunday i suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wtf is wrong with Irish people? the other 360 odd days pubs are open not enough? am as anti religious as they come so couldnt really give a shyte about the drinking thing but this attitude of "society says i cant drink, must find way around it!" attitude is ridiculous, tomorrow night people will be stocking up on booze even though every other friday they probably wouldnt be drinking anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There are special offers in Dunnes atm! Saw one lad loading up three boxes of Millers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Many of the sports clubs ,rugby ,football and gaa open on good friday ,if i remember rightly,there is a cover charge to go in and only open for 3to 4 hours just like christmas day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Baldie wrote: »
    I'd say that majority of pubs will be closed. Most, (I think), use Good Friday to do some painting and redecorating. The bar I used to work in did this on Good Friday anyway.

Heh i remember doing this one good friday, there was a knock and the door and there was a bout 10 gardai with riot gear. Should've seen the look of dissapointment on their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Sibin is owned by Anthony Kelly. Great place for a pint. 3 euro a drink. No closing time. Yup Yup. Manys the time me and Speakingclock oftne spent a few days up there

classy!i hate people saying yup yup in a scumbag accent why is it done in limerick??id rather avoid criminals and drink at home

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What will the serving hours tonight/Thursday be any different? Late bars still able to serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What will the serving hours tonight/Thursday be any different? Late bars still able to serve?

Well legally all public bars/late bars have to be closed by 12midnight thursday night.

(You do know where you are, right? :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

a disgrace on our country that people can't stay away from a pub or booze for one day of the year. a bloody disgrace...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

seachto7 wrote: »
    a disgrace on our country that people can't stay away from a pub or booze for one day of the year. a bloody disgrace...:mad:

or now could it be that everyone knows all their friends that they prob rarely see due to work and other commitments are all off and would love to have a few drinks with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Iang87 wrote: »
    or now could it be that everyone knows all their friends that they prob rarely see due to work and other commitments are all off and would love to have a few drinks with these people.

Not everyone,Im working and so are a few of my mates

how is it a disgrace that people cant stay out of the pub for one day???

first point.... why not have a smoking free day?????

second point...... you going to not eat meat that day aswell being that its a black fast!!

third point.... people that are only off friday this weekend might want a pint

fourth point.... nobody here is acting like an alcho. i can only speak for myself but i dont go out to get 'langers'. i go out and meet my mates, have few pints and catch up.

why is it that we as a society are still clinging to a law that was passed by our once facist ruler the church. im not religious and either is alot of the country so why do these silly ridiculous laws still exist.

and if you are religious you are not aloud to judge me or anyone else. your god says so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Yea, Thursday late bars stop serving at 12, I don't know how strict they'll be. So no night clubs will open. Icon not open Thursday/Friday...Painting and the like being done on Good Friday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Iang87 wrote: »

So ye HAVE to meet in a pub and HAVE to have drink? Meet up somewhere and have a coffee or a glass of coke...:rolleyes:

A paddy whack attitude for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Do Wan

scandalous the pubs being closed tomorrow. i made a pre emptive strike and filled me tinkers wellies with jameson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Lads i'm sure they will all be shut. even pharmacy's that sell alcohol for medication purposes are shut.
    Anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to some luthers out there if the pubs werre shut for a day or 2. esspecially in ireland where apparently... there is feck all else to do.

I dunno what paul"notmuchofa"legend is on about. Its only a pub. every other country in the world except ireland and england do other things without interference of a pub. just go do somethin else. Don't even know why this is a big deal. it shouldn't be. and a smoke free day/week would be brilliant. that **** is way more harmful than alcohol because it affects everyone around the smoker too. that stuff should banned, its rotten. I know millions of people will disagree there since everyone smokes it seems. just get a few cans and have a house party if your that stuck. or else the owl russian roulette thing would be somethin else to do. seems to be the thing to do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Leaving out the whole.....cant ya go one day without drink..
    ...thing.

I've been on forced leave from work at the moment and
    was not keeping track of what day it was, as I went
    on a mental online gaming session totally forgot it was Good Friday, Went to the shop
    to pick up a Chicken, Pasta and a few cans, for the evening
    and it was not until then I realised that everyplace was closed.

I'm not religious at all, but the first thing that annoyed me
    was they Legally could not sell Drink on Good Friday.

It was the fact that a Religious aspect forced Pubs and offlicences to close in the 21st Centurary where we
    live in a country where we may have different religions, or
    ethnic backgrounds.

When at the counter I had asked the girl is there no-place open, she looked at my Chicken and said..
    "Your not supposed to eat meat either"

It then struck me Odd that They Could not sell Drink due
    to the Law. Yet they could sell Meat???

If your not Legally allowed to buy Drink on Good Friday
    because of some Religious Mumbo Jumbo why can you legally buy Meat then?

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

I always make it my business to get pissed and have absolute meat feast on Good Friday. I work in a pub and even though the day off is handy I'd rather the pubs were open, its all about choice you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

1)People saying its mad that people cant stay away from the drink, the MAIN difference here is that it a friday of a long weekend. Sort of signifies the end of winter and is a welcome break from work. thats why more people are inclined to want to do something on good friday, to celebrate the long weekend.
    2)As for the not eating meat, I'll eat meat on good friday, purely because I dont eat fish. **** the self-righteous fish eaters pretending to make a sacrifice by eating something they like anyway.

at the end of the day if people where really religious they wouldnt eat eat on any friday and i think it was sunday aswell. every week was black fast. having backward ideas such as the pub must be closed is ridiculous. and even doh i might not go to the pub on that friday doesnt mean it shouldnt be open. anyone who is so far up their own arse saying grow up its only a day. thats not the point. the point is why is there such a stupid law this day and age.

and i am a Legend:) so screw u THELOC and ur cheap dig:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

bullets wrote: »
    Leaving out the whole.....cant ya go one day without drink..
    ...thing.

I've been on forced leave from work at the moment and
    was not keeping track of what day it was, as I went
    on a mental online gaming session totally forgot it was Good Friday, Went to the shop
    to pick up a Chicken, Pasta and a few cans, for the evening
    and it was not until then I realised that everyplace was closed.

I'm not religious at all, but the first thing that annoyed me
    was they Legally could not sell Drink on Good Friday.

It was the fact that a Religious aspect forced Pubs and offlicences to close in the 21st Centurary where we
    live in a country where we may have different religions, or
    ethnic backgrounds.

When at the counter I had asked the girl is there no-place open, she looked at my Chicken and said..
    "Your not supposed to eat meat either"

It then struck me Odd that They Could not sell Drink due
    to the Law. Yet they could sell Meat???

If your not Legally allowed to buy Drink on Good Friday
    because of some Religious Mumbo Jumbo why can you legally buy Meat then?

~B
    Haha i made the same point in the legal discussions forum but not as neatly as you did. Great minds etc etc :D
    zuroph wrote: »
    1)People saying its mad that people cant stay away from the drink, the MAIN difference here is that it a friday of a long weekend. Sort of signifies the end of winter and is a welcome break from work. thats why more people are inclined to want to do something on good friday, to celebrate the long weekend.
    2)As for the not eating meat, I'll eat meat on good friday, purely because I dont eat fish. **** the self-righteous fish eaters pretending to make a sacrifice by eating something they like anyway.
    This is another crock of *beep*. Why is it not ok to eat meat but it is ok to eat fish??? (Before anyone else says it yes I have a hugh problem with "vegetarians" who eat fish...but thats a different days discussion!! ;))

:) i love this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Paulegend wrote: »
    at the end of the day if people where really religious they wouldnt eat eat on any friday and i think it was sunday aswell. every week was black fast. having backward ideas such as the pub must be closed is ridiculous. and even doh i might not go to the pub on that friday doesnt mean it shouldnt be open. anyone who is so far up their own arse saying grow up its only a day. thats not the point. the point is why is there such a stupid law this day and age.

and i am a Legend:) so screw u THELOC and ur cheap dig:)
    At the end of the day it is only a day. be it religious or not its not a bad thing. I still odn't see the problem. people are still complaining about this religious bollix and eatin meat. the religious are the way they are. I'm not religious. maybe one friday a year the pub should be shut and irish people can just call it somethin else. like sobriety friday or somethin. too much fuss made out of it. although I do agree with BULLETS' earlier point. the good firday thing is just stabbing itself in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭istabrac77

What bars are opening at midnight on good friday
    After the leinster match ill be thirsty

Advertisement