Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs on Good friday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

ah bringing back to life my almost year old thread. missed you thread. its been a long time. about 47 weeks and 4 days :D

anyway back to old arguements i guess.

ok ill start "TheLoc" your so very wrong

to qoute the great doctor cox your
    "wrong wrong, wrong wrong,
    wrong wrong, wrong wrong
    your wrong, wour wrong"

stupid law says we cant open bars on good friday. stupid law was influenced by the catholic church to say we cant open bars on good friday. the same catholic church that told stupid law that we had to close bars for the couple of hours every sunday to make people go to church. the same catholic church who stops us eating meat on good friday. the same catholic church who wanted us to not eat meat any friday. the same catholic church who told law that the church had to approve any content released to the public through any form of press. the same catholic church who censored everything that our little minds couldnt handle in this country. the same catholic church that turned a blind eye to the christianb brothers abuse of kids and then decided to partake themselves. the same catholic church that tried to cover these incidents up by even telling some members of the law to destroy evidence(reference to a thread about the english police who sent evidence over to dublin only for *ahem* someone to acidently destroy said evidence). the same ctholic church that ruled our country with an iron fist throughout the 70's and 80's.

now back to the point.

i dont need to drink on a good friday.

in fact i might go out maybe once or twice a week. lets say twice for arguements sake. that 104 nights out a year out of 365. why should i be told what days i cant go out. why should any hard working tax paying individual be told when they can and cant go to the pub. why should a pensioner who has worked and payed tax's their whole lives be told that they cant go to the pub because of a ridiculous out dated law that helps noone.

we Irish or foreign nationals should be alowed the option of going to the pub on good friday. i was born and raised a catholic. i still consider myself one. i am non practicing. i dont pray i dont do anything a catholic is suppose to do but i consider myself one anyway.

it says more about religious people that they need the pub closed to stop them entering it on good friday than it does about non religious people.

its more of a sin to eat meat on a good friday but the butchers and all chippers are open that day.

so to sum it up good friday or any day for that matter the pub should be alowed to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭istabrac77

thanks for the insight....

but the question was are there any bars opening late on good friday at midnight?

istabrac77 wrote: »
    thanks for the insight....

but the question was are there any bars opening late on good friday at midnight?
    :D unless a club opens there wont be

usually no place opens good friday night at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Said on the radio today they were serving booze at the munster match! Cue thousands of people trying to get tickets just to get in the bar out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The bars are outside the grounds, should be no trouble getting in there for a pint. they're clubhouses, so are we all signing in?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can ye not do without drinking for one night?/QUOTE]
    krudler wrote: »
    wtf is wrong with Irish people? the other 360 odd days pubs are open not enough?

That's a stupid argument, as a non catholic why should any law be based on that stupid archaic system,

It's absolutely not about boozing, as I work fridays well past pub closing time so won't be drinking anyway, but it's ****ing beyond belief stupid, I was only saying about a week ago how I loathe when people come out with that stupid ****ing argument "AH sure can't you go one day without drink?" I don't drink during the week so that makes in 60/70% of the days in the year that I definately don't drink alcohol, and at the weekends it's probably 50/50 - the probelm is that no law should be based on this old bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Theres no way around this folks, Christmas Day & Good Fridays are the days pubs must legally close, in fact even supermarkets, off licenses etc are not permitted to serve alcohol and in the case of supermarkets, all displays must be covered.

Hotels can only legally serve residents who are dining and i whilst its possible some Hotels may chance there arms, i suspect the boys in blue will be watching diligently.

As for the stadium serving alcohol, not a chance in Sundays (or Fridays for that matter) Absolutely no alcohol can be sold or served, even free on this occasion.

On a more practical level, Pubs traditionally plan renovations, maintenance issues etc for good Friday, usually planned months in advance.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Theres no way around this folks, Christmas Day & Good Fridays are the days pubs must legally close, in fact even supermarkets, off licenses etc are not permitted to serve alcohol and in the case of supermarkets, all displays must be covered.

Hotels can only legally serve residents who are dining and i whilst its possible some Hotels may chance there arms, i suspect the boys in blue will be watching diligently.

As for the stadium serving alcohol, not a chance in Sundays (or Fridays for that matter) Absolutely no alcohol can be sold or served, even free on this occasion.

On a more practical level, Pubs traditionally plan renovations, maintenance issues etc for good Friday, usually planned months in advance.

the stadium will be able to serve it because they are a club house. it will be sold there

Paulegend wrote: »
    the stadium will be able to serve it because they are a club house. it will be sold there

Thats not entirely correct i am afraid, ALL LICENSED PREMISES, including private clubs are not permitted to sell or serve alcohol on good Friday. Technically private members could be served but i doubt the stadium as 40,000 members. I doubt the stadium would risk exposure on the day given the controversy over this.

For example, a hotel can serve a resident but only if they are consuming food, how does the hotel prove those being served alcohol are residents? there are ways to do this but my experience is Hotels just close to non residents and Hotel Bars definitely shut completely, alcohol, if served is normally done in the restaurant areas only and with food!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Paulegend wrote: »

Thomond Park are able to sell it because they have a Stadiums Licence which operates differently to all other licences. Only themselves and Croke Park have one.

• Advertisement

I stand to be corrected but both stadiums have the same licenses applicable to sporting clubs and associations, these would be similar to the same licenses Golf Clubs, sporting and GAA clubs have, there is no difference or special licenses attributed to both stadiums. I really doubt the stadium will serve alcohol and if they do, it will be strictly to members of the Club only and tightly controlled.

I stand to be corrected but both stadiums have the same licenses applicable to sporting clubs and associations, these would be similar to the same licenses Golf Clubs, sporting and GAA clubs have, there is no difference or special licenses attributed to both stadiums. I really doubt the stadium will serve alcohol and if they do, it will be strictly to members of the Club only and tightly controlled.

You are being corrected.
    Thomond Park Stadium Director, John Cantwell, said that “Thomond Park is one of three venues with a National Stadium Licence, along with the RDS and Croke Park. That’s great for the city in general. The criteria of that means that we can trade to ticket holders during an event”.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    You are being corrected.

Thanks for your words of wisdom but i still maintain there will be difficulties with Good Friday. I know of no license that can get around good friday, should be interesting how this pans out on the day!

Thanks for your words of wisdom but i still maintain there will be difficulties with Good Friday. I know of no license that can get around good friday, should be interesting how this pans out on the day!

How about a National Stadiums Licence?

How about a National Stadiums License?

I do see where you are coming from on this, i work in the Hospitality sector and over the years in many different sectors of same to include private clubs etc. In over twenty years at this game, i have yet to come across any establishment serving alcohol on good Friday. You could be right, i am just saying this is a very unique situation with such a big match falling on good Friday. I note the stadium directors statement but he makes no mention of good Friday.

I am really curious about this, and not in anyway trying to doubt anyone, i wonder is there any members of the club who could make definitive enquirers about this. I will be at the match, don't drink however! I really do think there are going to major difficulties with this, you can see the publicans are up in arms over it.

I do see where you are coming from on this, i work in the Hospitality sector and over the years in many different sectors of same to include private clubs etc. In over twenty years at this game, i have yet to come across any establishment serving alcohol on good Friday. You could be right, i am just saying this is a very unique situation with such a big match falling on good Friday. I note the stadium directors statement but he makes no mention of good Friday.

I am really curious about this, and not in anyway trying to doubt anyone, i wonder is there any members of the club who could make definitive enquirers about this. I will be at the match, don't drink however! I really do think there are going to major difficulties with this, you can see the publicans are up in arms over it.

I think this is a relatively new licence (in the last 2 years) so it is probably the first time this situation has ever arisen.

I think this is a relatively new licence (in the last 2 years) so it is probably the first time this situation has ever arisen.

Seems they will indeed be serving alcohol, just found this article.

http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=11767&sid=7c8582b9fa1ea84f4f01437f846ae41d

Seems they will indeed be serving alcohol, just found this article.

http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=11767&sid=7c8582b9fa1ea84f4f01437f846ae41d

humblepie-logo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

you start to wonder what is more important: the game or the alcohol dependency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

"With kick-off scheduled for 8.05pm, it is understood that the bars in the grounds can open two hours ahead of the game and remain open an hour after it has finished.

Two rugby clubs, Shannon and UL Bohemian, both have club bars at Thomond Park also.

When Munster are playing at Thomond Park, both clubs are packed with supporters, adding greatly to the coffers of the rugby clubs.

Should they wish to open on the day of the game, they must apply for a club exemption licence at the local district court."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/publicans-furious-over-good-friday-rugby-match-2085247.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Or the bandwagoners

once I have my ticket sorted I don't care about bandwagoners, the more the merrier, we still need to pay for that stadium, a full house is better than a half empty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ha? Isn't it obvious?

The main concern is the Game being ruined by impediments to the fulfilment of our alcohol dependent urges put in place by People, who are in many Folks opinion, Idiots loyal to the absurd notion that some Martian Intergalactic Superhero died around 2000 years ago.

- Wouldn't you think they'd be off sorting out their compensation claims and constructing desperate last-ditch defences for their horrific, animalistic actions?

So tell us all Talkingclock of all the destinations in all the World where did you jet off to?

zuroph wrote: »
    humblepie-logo.gif
    Love it, yes i am humbly humbled LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats not entirely correct i am afraid, ALL LICENSED PREMISES, including private clubs are not permitted to sell or serve alcohol on good Friday. Technically private members could be served but i doubt the stadium as 40,000 members. I doubt the stadium would risk exposure on the day given the controversy over this.

Nice one, I am a member of Shannon RFC - bringing my member book to this match so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Raiser wrote: »
    So tell us all Talkingclock of all the destinations in all the World where did you jet off to?

Civilisation. That should do for you and karmafaerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Civilisation. That should do for you and karmafaerie.

Why not tell?

- Bet yer actually living in a Bedsit in O'Malley Park holding your knees and rocking as you mutter to yourself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Raiser wrote: »
    Why not tell?

- Bet yer actually living in a Bedsit in O'Malley Park holding your knees and rocking as you mutter to yourself :(
    You're way out of order. I'm sure there are people from O'Malley Park who would find your post very arrogant/elitist/offensive. Or do you think nobody in O'Malley could afford a computer or the internet :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I think it is about time we brought this silly ban of alcohol sales to an end. A business should not be prohibited for plying their trade on the grounds of religion. Not everyone is a hard core catholic. If business owners personally do not want to open then that is their prerogative. Nobody is forcing Catholics to go to the pub. They don't have to go if they won't want to.

People's argument of "surely they can stay away from the pub for a day" is completely irrelevant. If people want to run their business and there is customers willing to go then they should be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

here we are the thread that started it all:D we love you Paulegend. we hope the fight against Good friday ends happy

Advertisement