Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs on Good friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

If they open the pubs in Limerik, then they should open the pubs in all of Munster.

Or is "Munster Rugby" just a Limerick team?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lets be realistic here - the pubs would open to accomodate the visitors to Limerick - the rest of Munster will be largely unaffected (unless the Leinster boys and girls go on a pub crawl through North Limerick on their way home) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

magma69 wrote: »
    You're way out of order. I'm sure there are people from O'Malley Park who would find your post very arrogant/elitist/offensive. Or do you think nobody in O'Malley could afford a computer or the internet :rolleyes:.

Missed this until just now, my apologies!!!

- I have multiple opinions of O'Malley Park - none of which were conveyed in the post that you subsequently picked up on and ran around with?

What are your own views? Or would you prefer to just leave it that Nobody can mention certain areas in Limerick without suffering some well-intentioned, yet misguided attack?
    If they open the pubs in Limerik, then they should open the pubs in all of Munster.

Or is "Munster Rugby" just a Limerick team?

Why? Is the Match on in all of Munster now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Raiser wrote: »
    Ha? Isn't it obvious?

The main concern is the Game being ruined by impediments to the fulfilment of our alcohol dependent urges put in place by People, who are in many Folks opinion, Idiots loyal to the absurd notion that some Martian Intergalactic Superhero died around 2000 years ago.

- Wouldn't you think they'd be off sorting out their compensation claims and constructing desperate last-ditch defences for their horrific, animalistic actions?

So tell us all Talkingclock of all the destinations in all the World where did you jet off to?

wow

your a horrible human being after that

john_cappa wrote: »
    wow

your a horrible human being after that

If this knee-jerk spite is aimed at me is because I expressed an anti-religious point of view then you'd better check the Headlines to see what the Religious establishment has been up to from the Altar at your local Church to the Bishops, to the Cardinals and the whole way up to the rotten tip of the Hierarchy in the Vatican where the Pope is busily preparing a plausible defence for decades of Institutional Child abuse in the Fatherland.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Lets be realistic here - the pubs would open to accomodate the visitors to Limerick - the rest of Munster will be largely unaffected (unless the Leinster boys and girls go on a pub crawl through North Limerick on their way home) :)

So essentially Munster Rugby is just a Limerick thing then? Cork people who travel 100 kilometres up the road to watch their home team playing because their matches are only shown on subscription television based in the UK in the case of Sky, (although I know that the Magners League is on Setanta,) should be able to watch the match in the pub in Cork if the supporters in Limerick are able to do so. Otherwise it distorts the market.

The best solution is to rename the team "Limerick" and be done with it.

No. It's only on in Thomond Park.

But Munster Rugby, when it established the brand and began promoting the franchise justified it's existence by saying that Limerick had too small a catchment area, and that the support for the team came from all of Munster.

My point is that local supporters should be able to watch their local team on TV in their local pub if the match is only available on subscription television.

And in Cork, apparently, Munster is the local team.

Same in Kerry, Waterford, Clare, and Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

No. It's only on in Thomond Park.

But Munster Rugby, when it established the brand and began promoting the franchise justified it's existence by saying that Limerick had too small a catchment area, and that the support for the team came from all of Munster.

My point is that local supporters should be able to watch their local team on TV in their local pub if the match is only available on subscription television.

And in Cork, apparently, Munster is the local team.

Same in Kerry, Waterford, Clare, and Tipperary.
    And yes, pubs in general in Ireland should be allowed open on Good friday, its an antiquated law that has no place in modern society. But if they tried to run that debate now, it wouldnt be sorted in time for the match. The vintners are picking their battle right now, and a special area licence is their best shot, so, for now, Limerick is the best option to argue for, as that is where ~10k Leinster fans will be staying overnight looking for something to do, as well as all the local fans. As for the other fans around the country, yes they desrve an option, but there isnt enough time to get them that option. However, 3 months free setanta sports sub was given away with the Irish independent only a few weeks ago, so everyone (with cable of some sort) COULD be watching the match for free if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Missed this until just now, my apologies!!!

- I have multiple opinions of O'Malley Park - none of which were conveyed in the post that you subsequently picked up on and ran around with?

What are your own views? Or would you prefer to just leave it that Nobody can mention certain areas in Limerick without suffering some well-intentioned, yet misguided attack?

This isn't a sociology forum so I'm not going to give my opinions on O'Malley Park. But if I see someone who posts in the way you did I will call them out on it. I don't mind people mentioning any place, it was the context in which you mentioned that I had a problem with. You implied that living there is something to be shameful of. In my eyes this is a dreadful attitude to hold. Don't play the fool and worm your way out of it saying that is not what you meant. Your post speaks for itself.
    Bet yer actually living in a Bedsit in O'Malley Park holding your knees and rocking as you mutter to yourself

magma69 wrote: »
    This isn't a sociology forum so I'm not going to give my opinions on O'Malley Park. But if I see someone who posts in the way you did I will call them out on it. I don't mind people mentioning any place, it was the context in which you mentioned that I had a problem with. You implied that living there is something to be shameful of. In my eyes this is a dreadful attitude to hold. Don't play the fool and worm your way out of it saying that is not what you meant. Your post speaks for itself.
    think you're reading far too much into it, it seemed to me to be a post where O malley park would be considered less glamorous a place to be than somewhere else in the world that one would "jet off" to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

tut tut people this is a thread about good friday being killed by the catholic church this isnt a thread about how crap o malley park is:D yes its crap its full of scobes. cops firemen and even the postman is scared to go there. its not every family yes but one is enough. its a hazard to our fine city and those scobes do not deserve the dole they steal from our pockets with no intention of ever contributing. in fact drug dealers have an income why should they get social welfare??????????????:rolleyes:

If this knee-jerk spite is aimed at me is because I expressed an anti-religious point of view then you'd better check the Headlines to see what the Religious establishment has been up to from the Altar at your local Church to the Bishops, to the Cardinals and the whole way up to the rotten tip of the Hierarchy in the Vatican where the Pope is busily preparing a plausible defence for decades of Institutional Child abuse in the Fatherland.

I have no problem with an anti religious view, everyone is intitled to their opinion. It is simply the childish, childish way you put your opinion across e.g. "Idiots loyal to the absurd notion that some Martian Intergalactic Superhero died around 2000 years ago"

No doubt the church is, unfortunately rotten to core and in need to radical reform from the top down but the common knee jerk reaction is now to throw the "baby out with the bath water" and abandon the church entirely.

What of all the good the catholic church has done in the past? is all that to be forgotten and ignored?

With regards good friday i think the law is outdated and pubs should be allowed open to take into account the varying religions in the country.

I'll go back to my alien leader now.

I have no problem with an anti religious view, everyone is intitled to their opinion. It is simply the childish, childish way you put your opinion across e.g. "Idiots loyal to the absurd notion that some Martian Intergalactic Superhero died around 2000 years ago"

No doubt the church is, unfortunately rotten to core and in need to radical reform from the top down but the common knee jerk reaction is now to throw the "baby out with the bath water" and abandon the church entirely.

What of all the good the catholic church has done in the past? is all that to be forgotten and ignored?

With regards good friday i think the law is outdated and pubs should be allowed open to take into account the varying religions in the country.

I'll go back to my alien leader now.

The Devout need to step back and look at their own role in all of this - if a bit of glib sarcasm contributes to letting the Faithful know that People are repulsed by their venerable Institution and also starting to question why the Church car parks are still not empty then surely its all in the interests of the greater good?

You must remember that People are steadfastly supporting the same Church, the same People, the same agendas, the same cover-ups, the same hypocrisy, the same profiteering and the same Evil that is rife in our Society - perched as it is under a towering Steeple and masked as innocence.

- In my opinion a thorough and complete history of the Church as carried out by any honest and unbiased source would show enough evil perpetrated to essentially negate the whole Enterprises reason to be.

The Devout need to step back and look at their own role in all of this - if a bit of glib sarcasm contributes to letting the Faithful know that People are repulsed by their venerable Institution and also starting to question why the Church car parks are still not empty then surely its all in the interests of the greater good?

You must remember that People are steadfastly supporting the same Church, the same People, the same agendas, the same cover-ups, the same hypocrisy, the same profiteering and the same Evil that is rife in our Society - perched as it is under a towering Steeple and masked as innocence.

- In my opinion a thorough and complete history of the Church as carried out by any honest and unbiased source would show enough evil perpetrated to essentially negate the whole Enterprises reason to be.

Perhaps you need to step back?

Your use of the English language, while pleasant on the eye, does not disguise the childish manner in which you are "grinding" your axe. You clearly have personal issue with the "church" and its "people" and this issue is blinding you.

I refuse to engage any further with you.

again, pubs open on good friday thread.

maybe you both should step back.

zuroph wrote: »
    again, pubs open on good friday thread.

maybe you both should step back.

Yeah fair dues.

On topic, there is always a great buzz around on Easter Saturday and i think this will be lost if they pubs open on the friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'm hearing the publicans are going to be successful in their appeal to open. A friend of mine was talking to a publican who attended some of the hearing earlier and said that the judge seemed to be taking a very sympathetic line with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Can we appeal to remove the bank holiday on Monday seeng as its based on crazy old religious grounds :)

Perhaps you need to step back?

Your use of the English language, while pleasant on the eye, does not disguise the childish manner in which you are "grinding" your axe. You clearly have personal issue with the "church" and its "people" and this issue is blinding you.

I refuse to engage any further with you.

Everybody is entitled to make empty accusations and to take the easy way out - Bless you, and may your salvation be guilt free and substantially eternal my Friend.

- Hopefully the Publicans will win the day and restore for us the true meaning of Easter, the meaning often lost since the first Good Friday - Rabble-rousing and Mob rule on the Streets!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pianofella

Roadend wrote: »
    Can we appeal to remove the bank holiday on Monday seeng as its based on crazy old religious grounds :)

Appparently the decision is posponed until Thursday. I see that on some threads the broadcaster is being blamed but i have it on very good authority they offered to show the game on either holy thursday r sat 3rd apri.

celtic league rugby decided good friday as munster were not prepared to field a full strength team on the thurs and leinster were'nt repared to do so on the sat.

the fixture was decided on the basis what was best for the games and not the local economy.

i do feel sorry for publicans though. i can't see celtic league making this mistake next year.

• Advertisement

Roadend wrote: »

in fact Ireland has far less bank holidays than most european coutries so no we shouldnt remove a bank holiday. pubs arent forced to close on a bank holiday.

the arguement is no business should be forced to close because of the church

the decision will be made thursday at 9.30am

The broadcaster stands to sell more subscriptions as a result of the match being shown on a day when the pubs are closed, so I would be dubious about the assertion that the broadcaster had no problem with the match being moved. Most pubs already subscribe to Setanta, so if the pubs are closed, the only place to see the match is by subscribing to Setanta for a month.

Also, the term "special event" is being interpreted by the Gardai as meaning a "one off" event, and Thomond Park regularly hosts matches this big in the Heineken Cup, so it is not really a "one off" event, according to the radio this morning. I remember going down to the Circuit of Ireland car rally in Killarney years ago and not being able to have a pint on Good Friday. That event used to draw thousands of people to Killarney, but the difference at the time was that it was not on Subscription TV and therefore a culture of watching sporting events on subscription TV had not built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Icky Thump wrote: »
    in fact Ireland has far less bank holidays than most european coutries so no we shouldnt remove a bank holiday. pubs arent forced to close on a bank holiday.

the arguement is no business should be forced to close because of the church

the decision will be made thursday at 9.30am

So,you want the easter bank holiday to remain ?Bit hyprocitical isnt it.

So,you want the easter bank holiday to remain ?Bit hyprocitical isnt it.

no what im saying is i think there should be more bank holidays. i think that there should be bank holidays celebrating everyones religious holidays. i just dont think a business should be closed because of a religious holiday.

i am a catholic(non-practising). i am not affected by jewish, muslim, jehovas witness's or budist holidays. but those religions are affected by the catholic religion which says the pub has to be closed on good friday and christmas. before you reply with "muslims and budists dont drink" im talking about non practicing people.

no religion should influence law in a multicultural society

as far as the tv crowed are concerned............ bars pay more to subscribe to the likes of setanta or sky so setanta and sky wouldnt exactly lose money because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

pianofella wrote: »
    Appparently the decision is posponed until Thursday. I see that on some threads the broadcaster is being blamed but i have it on very good authority they offered to show the game on either holy thursday r sat 3rd apri.

celtic league rugby decided good friday as munster were not prepared to field a full strength team on the thurs and leinster were'nt repared to do so on the sat.
    the fixture was decided on the basis what was best for the games and not the local economy.

i do feel sorry for publicans though. i can't see celtic league making this mistake next year.

1. Why would Munster not want to play a full strenght team on Thursday, if anything, I'd guess it would be more of a problem for Leinster as they have one less day between matches?

2. Do Celtic Rugby ask teams for their team sheet before scheduling games?

Bless you, and may your salvation be guilt free and substantially eternal my Friend.

My conscience is clear my non-believing friend, as are the consciences of 99% of the "people" from the "church".

If you get your chance move towards the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Can anybody please give a definitive answer on the following,

Can my local GAA Club bar legally open on good Friday to members?

celticbest wrote: »
    Can anybody please give a definitive answer on the following,

Can my local GAA Club bar legally open on good Friday to members?

I think so! Same as clubs can open on xmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

so will this mean that pubs can open on xmas day if they like? i mean the same rule should apply no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pianofella

phog wrote: »
    1. Why would Munster not want to play a full strenght team on Thursday, if anything, I'd guess it would be more of a problem for Leinster as they have one less day between matches?

2. Do Celtic Rugby ask teams for their team sheet before scheduling games?

on your first point, Leinster, The Catholic Church, Celtic Rugby and Setanta are being blamed for the scheduling of this game. i wonder how many people in Limerick have lobbied Munster on this point. they have been a little quiet on where they stand and how passionatley they fought for the game to be moved.

as for the second point. the teams have to turn up and play once the decision has been made but be under no illusions, if they don't like teh date they'll pass the message up the line that they'll keep their stars on the bench.

Advertisement