Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs on Good friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

The church shouldn't have any influence over Irish law, in the same way they shouldn't have any influence over the Irish education system anymore.

I'll be drinking, eating meat and enjoying rugby on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Stab*City wrote: »
    so will this mean that pubs can open on xmas day if they like? i mean the same rule should apply no?

I think is a one off special exemption they are applying for not a change to the law long term so no, pubs wont be open xmas day any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

It's not looking likely anyway guys as my understanding goes the state, read as the gardai have objected, so the exemption will probably not be granted. I would be fairly surprised if it was. I couldn't give a toss anyway i'm off to a house party good Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    It's not looking likely anyway guys as my understanding goes the state, read as the gardai have objected, so the exemption will probably not be granted. I would be fairly surprised if it was. I couldn't give a toss anyway i'm off to a house party good Friday :)

The State (Gardai) also objected to the Mucky Duck's License in Nicholas Street and that was granted by Judge Tom O Donnell. On the contrary I would say it's guaranteed to be granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

pianofella wrote: »
    on your first point, Leinster, The Catholic Church, Celtic Rugby and Setanta are being blamed for the scheduling of this game. i wonder how many people in Limerick have lobbied Munster on this point. they have been a little quiet on where they stand and how passionatley they fought for the game to be moved.

as for the second point. the teams have to turn up and play once the decision has been made but be under no illusions, if they don't like teh date they'll pass the message up the line that they'll keep their stars on the bench.

What :confused:

I still dont see why Munster wouldn't field a full team against Leinster on Thursday when we had an extra days rest over them and it would give us another extra day before our Qtr Final game against Northampton. Doesn't make sense that Munster would have objected to a Thursday game.

What about the people all over the two provinces that haven't a Setanta subscribtion that normally visit their local to watch the game on Setanta, these are now prevented from watching the game, Celtic Rugby surely have an obligation to ensure the game is available to as many viewers as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Pubs are opening...............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Pubs are opening...............

Link?

John_Mc wrote: »
    Link?

I told ye yesterday it was in the bag. My status as an internet legend should be proof enough for you. Don't you dare question me again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just on the news now. Pubs will be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Yip just heard it on the news...

This could be the best night in town in an age!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Heard it on the news. Pubs can open and serve alcohol between 6pm and 11.30pm.

I think it's absurd that this 'law' still exists in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

So what would happen if a pub was run by a muslim?
    Could he take a case to the court of human rights because he is being forced to close his business in recognition of the observences of another religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

jimoc wrote: »
    Could he take a case to the court of human rights because he is being forced to close his business in recognition of the observences of another religion?

He'll be pointed to the "Thou shalt not drink" section of the Koran

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I think it's the beginning of the end for this law.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Hooked

funkyflea wrote: »
    The church shouldn't have any influence over Irish law, in the same way they shouldn't have any influence over the Irish education system anymore.

I'll be drinking, eating meat and enjoying rugby on the day.

Seconded, thirded and Fourthed!!!

Meat, beer and no mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I wonder will the nightclubs open now as technically it won't be "Great Friday" after 12.00am...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A massive moral victory for the beer-bellied David versus the towering Paedophile Goliath.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I heard the news. Hmmm

6pm. Yeah right. It will be like on St Patrick's day when ALL PUBS must stay closed until 12pm even the one's with early license's.

Now all the bar staff who only get 2 days off per year are now working again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Heard it on the news. Pubs can open and serve alcohol between 6pm and 11.30pm.

So do the pubs have to close at 11.30 or do they just stop serving for 1/2 an hour and blaze away again after midnight ?...

gryff wrote: »
    So do the pubs have to close at 11.30 or do they just stop serving for 1/2 an hour and blaze away again after midnight ?...

Interesting point actually!

- What would Jesus do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I wonder is it just the city pubs that are open?

Does that mean that pubs like The Unicorn, Finnegans which are outside the city boundery must stay closed

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jimoc wrote: »

Thats about as likely as a jewish butchers dealing purely in pork

I wonder is it just the city pubs that are open?

Does that mean that pubs like The Unicorn, Finnegans which are outside the city boundery must stay closed

It depends, some pubs in the suburbs can open but it depends if they applied to get themselves included on the list that was submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Does anyone know what pubs this applies to?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Raiser wrote: »
    Interesting point actually!

- What would Jesus do?

Buy a bottle of water and turn it into wine and have a cheap night in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Does anyone know what pubs this applies to?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/

According to the leader it's all the city pubs as well as pubs in Castletroy, Dooradoyle, Corbally and Anacotty.

Pubs in Castleconnell, Boher, Caherconlish, Clonlara and Parteen wont be allowed to open.

Roadend wrote: »
    Buy a bottle of water and turn it into wine and have a cheap night in

Limerick Sin City - Now available with a good dose of Sodom and a little extra Gomorrah.

JesusAndTheMiraculousPint.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Berty wrote: »
    I heard the news. Hmmm

6pm. Yeah right. It will be like on St Patrick's day when ALL PUBS must stay closed until 12pm even the one's with early license's.

Now all the bar staff who only get 2 days off per year are now working again. :rolleyes:

not entirely true doh is it?

i mean i worked in bars and i was off 2 days a week like most other jobs. people working in the corus call center work christmas day aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

will the city see a deluge of people taking advantage of the pubs opening, or will it be just the usual rugby night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

flutered wrote: »
    will the city see a deluge of people taking advantage of the pubs opening, or will it be just the usual rugby night out.

Why start another thread on this?

Advertisement