Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs on Good friday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

its silly to start a new thread but i guess its a new question.

yea i think some people will come to limerick just for the drink. listen we get people that go to munster games when munster are doing well so this is nkinda the same thing. people with no interest been in limerick.

at least it will be a really busy night everywhere i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Berty wrote: »
    I heard the news. Hmmm

6pm. Yeah right. It will be like on St Patrick's day when ALL PUBS must stay closed until 12pm even the one's with early license's.

Now all the bar staff who only get 2 days off per year are now working again. :rolleyes:

I work in a call centre and worked christmas eve, day new years eve and day, paddys day, good friday, easter sunday, my birthday etc etc many times, its not like pub staff dont ever get any other days off now is it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Proof at last.
    Munster Rugby.....Bigger than JESUS !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

krudler wrote: »
    I work in a call centre and worked christmas eve, day new years eve and day, paddys day, good friday, easter sunday, my birthday etc etc many times, its not like pub staff dont ever get any other days off now is it

Two days you are guaranteed off. My OH worked in the Off Trade and you could always plan to have a long weekend off at Good Friday and head away.

• Advertisement

Two days you are guaranteed off. My OH worked in the Off Trade and you could always plan to have a long weekend off at Good Friday and head away.

your other half still can. just put in for holidays

no other job has Guaranteed days off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

RonMexico wrote: »

TBH, they do nothing for the image of Limerick or Munster rugby and I'm delighted that MR have spoken out against them, only wish the vintners had done the same.

By all means open the pubs and even allow alcohol for those that want it but please dont mock the beliefs of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Icky Thump wrote: »
    your other half still can. just put in for holidays

Forget it.

If I say "Black" you will say "White"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

phog wrote: »
    By all means open the pubs and even allow alcohol for those that want it but please dont mock the beliefs of others.

How is it mocking their beliefs ? They can still do whatever they want.

If you "believe" that you shouldn't have a drink on Good Friday, you can still choose not to.

And in fact, I'd view it as a bigger and more meaningful penance if drink was available and someone didn't avail of it, rather than being forced to abstain*.

* Which, of course, no-one was, because the off-licences were open on Thursdays.

If anything, for those of us who don't subscribe to rip-off satellite sports, the ban meant we would have to abstain from rugby, not drink.

Then again, if someone REALLY wanted to do this right, they'd have ensured that the match was available on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I think Phog was referring specifically to the T-Shirts which are?/were on sale Liam.

2603_tshirt_indo_536842t.jpg

Personally I believe that if the Church spent more time actually living in accordance with decent core values, and spent more time actually respecting others and so on they might see enough of actual life as lived by the ordinary People and perhaps see their pious way to understanding a good natured and ultimately harmless joke......

Also in my opinion Munster Rugbys intervention has more to do with the Munster Rubgy brand being too much of an unstoppable cash cow to its Handlers to risk having it tainted by rival knock-offs on the High St.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Oh,the annual Good Friday house party piss ups for all bar staff

Yeah,there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I can't believe people are getting their knickers in a twist because of the t-shirts it's only a bit of fun. Before you know it the guy who owns the shop will be getting death threats like the guy who drew the cartoon that show muhammed(sp)! It's not like they are making fun of people who believe in mr.Christ the carpenters son

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    How is it mocking their beliefs ? They can still do whatever they want.

If you "believe" that you shouldn't have a drink on Good Friday, you can still choose not to.

And in fact, I'd view it as a bigger and more meaningful penance if drink was available and someone didn't avail of it, rather than being forced to abstain*.

* Which, of course, no-one was, because the off-licences were open on Thursdays.

If anything, for those of us who don't subscribe to rip-off satellite sports, the ban meant we would have to abstain from rugby, not drink.

Then again, if someone REALLY wanted to do this right, they'd have ensured that the match was available on RTE.

What are you on about? I fully support the opening of the pubs, I was referring to what I find as offensive T-Shirts as do Munster Rugby.

Oh,the annual Good Friday house party piss ups for all bar staff

Yeah,there is.

ive worked in bars ive also worked in call centers

bar staff are complaining that they have to work. i have no sympathy for them. when i was in call centers i had to work christmas day never mind good friday. when i worked in factories i worked on good fridays. when i worked in shops in town i worked christmas day and good friday.

bar staff are the only ones who get the guaranteed days off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Batmans dad

im just glad i have setanta...

im just glad i have setanta...

Me too but ever happier that the the ML will now be available on free to view from next year, Setanta are a joke and agreeing to scheduling this match on Good Friday is the final straw. I'll be giving them my 2 months notice shortly :D:D

Me too but ever happier that the the ML will now be available on free to view from next year, Setanta are a joke and agreeing to scheduling this match on Good Friday is the final straw. I'll be giving them my 2 months notice shortly :D:D

The TV feed for Munster V Glasgow Warriors dropped for a good while inexplicably and without subsequent apology the other night.........

- Their pricing system is designed to rip off Customers (In my opinion)

Raiser wrote: »
    The TV feed for Munster V Glasgow Warriors dropped for a good while inexplicably and without subsequent apology the other night.........

- Their pricing system is designed to rip off Customers (In my opinion)

Is that what happened? My Sky+ of the game was missing about 7 mins of the game and I thought my Sky box might have be on the way out.

Is that what happened? My Sky+ of the game was missing about 7 mins of the game and I thought my Sky box might have be on the way out.

I can confirm that the Queens TV Hardware is sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andyournameis

Hey Guys

Just wondering if the pubs have to closed at 11.30pm on Good Friday night, Are the night clubs in Limerick opening at 12.00pm because it actually Easter Saturday then???:confused:

What are you on about? I fully support the opening of the pubs, I was referring to what I find as offensive T-Shirts as do Munster Rugby.

At the risk of drifting off-topic, why is it offensive to say that Munster Rugby has more fans than the Catholic Church ?

Firstly, it's more than likely true, at least in the environs that the t-shirt is being sold.

Secondly, Big Brother and the X-factor are "bigger" than intelligent, watchable TV; in those cases it definitely doesn't mean they're better.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

No!

There was thread on this yesterday! Still Good Friday laws even after midnight!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    At the risk of drifting off-topic, why is it offensive to say that Munster Rugby has more fans than the Catholic Church ?

Firstly, it's more than likely true, at least in the environs that the t-shirt is being sold.

Secondly, Big Brother and the X-factor are "bigger" than intelligent, watchable TV; in those cases it definitely doesn't mean they're better.

As with most thing it's not always whats said but what message is being delivered, one doesn't have to bigger or better to be offended or offensive.

Why did Munster rugby request that they be withdrawn if they are acceptable to the masses?

Why did Munster rugby request that they be withdrawn if they are acceptable to the masses?

You'd have to ask them that.

I was going to buy one this week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

wow some statement :rolleyes:

My interpretation was that they were entitled to ask that anything that bore the official Munster Logo be removed and duly did so.

- They then requested that the rest be removed; Munster only cares about protecting its brand and rightly so - Those horribly cheaply made plasticky/nylon jerseys they mass produce in the arsé end of China or wherever retail for ~€70 while they can't cost more than a €3 to manufacture, given that they snag on every surface known to man within 60 seconds of purchase.....

wow some statement :rolleyes:

why???

no job has a guaranteed day off every year. also most barstaff work on good friday anyway cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

why???

no job has a guaranteed day off every year. also most barstaff work on good friday anyway cleaning

They should be glad they have a job at all :mad: and stop complaining...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

why???

How many teachers are working today or xmas day?

How many bank staff work on wait bank holidays?

Two of many

as for most spend it cleaning i'd have to say the vast majority dont.
    They should be glad they have a job at all :mad: and stop complaining...

Who said they were complaining about having a job?

Advertisement