Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top earners, means testing etc.. Justified?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

silverharp wrote: »
    Exactly. Many of the Privatisation notions are based upon pure theory. They are difficult to operate and manage in the real world. The potential for total failure is too high.
    there is nothing wrong with failure , that is one of the principles of capitalism. if failure isnt a possibily you end up with stagnation and lack of innovation.

Um, no - there's nothing wrong with a business failing, and that is indeed one of the principles of market capitalism. That isn't the same thing as an unsuccessful privatisation at all.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Well, now, I call libertarian thinking nineteenth century thinking as an insult, but if you're prepared to consider that period as being dominated by libertarian economic theories, then you don't really need to hear my 'alternative history' of it. While I might occasionally think the redistributive and statist tendencies in modern society go a little too far, I don't have any doubts whatsoever on the absolutely dire results of the economic and social theories of that period.

It's bizarre, though, that libertarians detest the "coercion" of the state, yet wish to return us to a period where the state relied on the pretty regular use of troops against the populace. I presume most of you simply don't think of yourselves as the kind of people who the troops would be used against.
    O-kay. And here was I thinking that we'd spent the past seven months witnessing the sham promises of social democracy come face-to-face with a solid brick wall called reality. But all is not lost—I'm sure y'all can borrow or print a few more trillion to pay for more fancy economic special effects. ;)

Hm. The problem there is that it wasn't the welfare system, or the income tax system, that suddenly exploded, but the much more "liberal", market-driven, bonus-oriented, and comparatively de-regulated financial sector. So while you're welcome to personally see that as evidence of the "failure of social democracy", I frankly think the guys selling snake oil in the bottles marked "failure of liberal capitalism" will probably have more buyers - not that either of you are right, or are doing anything other than reflexively attributing the bad stuff to the things you respectively always attribute bad stuff to, and holding out the solution that each of you respectively always hold out to everything.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Scofflaw wrote: »

Hm. The problem there is that it wasn't the welfare system, or the income tax system, that suddenly exploded, but the much more "liberal", market-driven, bonus-oriented, and comparatively de-regulated financial sector. So while you're welcome to personally see that as evidence of the "failure of social democracy",

Roll the clock back to 2001 please in the US , or back further to LTCM. To put it simply if the bailout mentality hadnt been used back then the system woulnt be in this mess. Gov. and central bank policy was not to let recessions happen (snake oil at its best) , the answer to the correction was to pump excess money into the economy and remember the phrase " the Greenspan put" that was basically a green light for the finance industry to lever up and go nuts.
    This mess is very much a failure of big gov. The US gov made the same mistakes as Ireland , for instance making it public policy to get people into their own homes at any price when as can be seen today thats not always a good thing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Roll the clock back to 2001 please in the US , or back further to LTCM. To put it simply if the bailout mentality hadnt been used back then the system woulnt be in this mess. Gov. and central bank policy was not to let recessions happen (snake oil at its best) , the answer to the correction was to pump excess money into the economy and remember the phrase " the Greenspan put" that was basically a green light for the finance industry to lever up and go nuts.
    This mess is very much a failure of big gov. The US gov made the same mistakes as Ireland , for instance making it public policy to get people into their own homes at any price when as can be seen today thats not always a good thing.

I'm hardly disagreeing with the idea that some governments made extremely poor policy choices starting in about 2001 - indeed, as you say, in particular the choice to "avoid" what was clearly a structural recession by blowing up an interest and asset bubble of astonishing proportions was disastrously stupid.

So far so good - but then we find that the Marxists claim that this shows the failure of liberal capitalism, the libertarians claim it shows the failure of social democracy, the Greens claim it shows the failure of consumption-driven economics, the neo-liberals claim it shows the failure of regulation, the racists claim it shows the failure of 'mass immigration', the eurosceptics say it shows the failure of the EU, the god-squad claims it shows that godlessness doesn't pay....

...in short, everyone has taken it as (a) proof of the failure of something they don't like, and (b) by corollary, proof that things would be better if their preferred way of doing things were substituted.

It would be more believable if everyone wasn't doing it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

So far so good - but then we find that the Marxists claim that this shows the failure of liberal capitalism, the libertarians claim it shows the failure of social democracy, the Greens claim it shows the failure of consumption-driven economics, the neo-liberals claim it shows the failure of regulation, the racists claim it shows the failure of 'mass immigration', the eurosceptics say it shows the failure of the EU, the god-squad claims it shows that godlessness doesn't pay....

...in short, everyone has taken it as (a) proof of the failure of something they don't like, and (b) by corollary, proof that things would be better if their preferred way of doing things were substituted.

It would be more believable if everyone wasn't doing it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I appreciate that you see the policy failings in the US for what they were.

I had a quick look at the 2007 Manifesto for the greens , from a financial point of view they seem to be worried that interest rates were to high. lol

Other then that stuff to do with energy policy and spatial policy , I dont see any evidence that they were overly concerned with the way the country was been run. If they are crowing now , I see no basis for it

http://www.greenparty.ie/en/about/party_archives/election_2007/manifesto_2007/manifesto

Banks and Financial Services
    Ireland has one of the highest interest rates in the
    Eurozone. We will implement the recommendations of
    the Competition Authority to ensure that customers
    are given accurate, reliable and understandable
    information on alternative banking products.
    The Green Party will:
    • reform legislation to make the Financial Regulator
    and the Competition Authority more accountable;
    • grant greater powers to investigate, regulate prices,
    lift entry barriers and penalise malpractices;
    • appoint a Registrar of Credit Unions as an
    independent officer with a view to increasing credit
    union penetration of the financial services market.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's right.

Well, that's a nice try, but I'm not claiming the "impossibility of objectivity" - I'm saying that none of those groups have bothered to provide any objectivity. In most cases they also appear to be incapable of even recognising what would be involved in doing so.
    The absolutely dire results? Are you serious? The period from the mid-eighteenth to the early twentieth centuries saw unprecedented expansions of human freedom, unparalleled advances in science and technology, and astonishing increases in living standards. That momentum continued in the twentieth century—despite the statist war on liberalism that gave us two World Wars and the collectivist bloodbath of communism.

I'm not sure how to respond to that except by laughing. Are you really really trying to claim that it was the momentum provided by the nineteenth century that gave us the advances of the twentieth? What rot. What utter drivel. The rate of advance in the nineteenth century was undoubtedly unprecedented compared to the equally libertarian period before it, but the rate of scientific advance per decade now outstrips quite comfortably that of the entire nineteenth century - if that were "momentum", it would be declining, not accelerating - an acceleration that has largely gone hand in hand with increased social democracy. There's even a causative mechanism there - the huge expansion in educational opportunities that resulted from the social changes.
    Mine is not a reflexive response, by any means. It is a rational response to a clear and evident systems failure at the heart of social democracy.

I'm not going to ask whether you honestly believe this dreck, because the hilarious thing is that you clearly do! You also believe that it's a rational belief - but Creationists believe that theirs is a rational belief, so that doesn't get us anywhere either.

laughing,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Ah, you'll see the world differently once you have kids. Libertarianism makes perfect sense when you don't really need to engage with the world.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ah, you'll see the world differently once you have kids. Libertarianism makes perfect sense when you don't really need to engage with the world.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Where have you read that libertarians dont want to engage with the world? Having kids has made me more scared that they will pay the price for the arrogant way this country and others have been led. I would hold my head in shame if I passed on debt to kids yet this is policy using the "in the long run we are all dead logic"

Austrian economics and libertariansim aside , if something has lies build into the core of system then feel free to throw bricks at it or as least watch out and prepare for when it fails. The lies as I see it are inflation which is a form of theft that also encourages speculation over work and investment, moral hazzard in various guises , corruption based on state monopolies false promises based on ponzi style policies and lack on choice in areas like healthcare and education.
    This global crash is probably 30 or 40 years in the making , that is plenty of time for nonsense politics and economic polices to be accepted as normal and sustainable. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't think anybodies minds are being changed by the discussion so I don't really think there is a winning or losing end of the argument.

It is easy to point at the failings of an existing system and say that a theoretical system will solve all of societies problems when it has never been tried in a modern society so there is no evidence of failures or successes to back it up.

Anytime anybody proposes something that doesn't work in a Libertarian system, you can just say whatever you like and come back with something which would most likely never work if implemented (but has the benefit of never having being implemented so nobody can point to a failed example) or would never happen in the first place.

The whole thing will never happen in the first place IMO. I don't think we will ever have a Liberterian society. I don't think it is what the people want so I don't think we'll ever have it.

You haven't put forward an argument (or arguments) for me to be on the losing end of - instead you've put forward a belief position. I have accepted that you believe in your belief position - there's not much more I can do. I gave up on the great big Creationist thread over in the Religion forum because of their stubborn refusal to move out of the nineteenth century or to accept any evidence that contradicts their beliefs - I see no point in taking up those particular cudgels all over again here. Just like them, you are welcome to regard yourself as having won the discussion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Of course we have conclusive proof as far as your concerned. Whenever anything goes well, you attribute it to the free market working and whenever something goes wrong, it is the "welfare state's" fault.

I remain unconvinced.

• Advertisement

Any reading of nineteenth century history - however brief - will illustrate the extent to which soldiery was used either successfully (as in England) or unsuccessfully (everywhere else) against the populace as a result of the appalling inequities in the then-current social/economic systems. Nowhere did the liberal state succeed in resisting the movement to social democracy.

Of course, I'm sure you just chalk that up to the "tyranny of the majority" - and no greater illustration of the depth of the gulf between the libertarian notion of "fairness" and that of the rest of humanity is required. That gulf is unbridgeable by argument in either direction.

The parallel is obvious to anyone who is neither a Creationist nor a libertarian.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And I was assuming your question was rhetorical - any history of the period will cover them, unless libertarians have special editions that leave them out - look up Chartism, Luddites, the Peterloo Massacre, the Reform Bill, and so on. Now that's England, where suppression went hand in hand with reform, and was successful in defusing the situation. Everywhere else, the suppression was eventually unsuccessful, but otherwise followed the same pattern.

1344417.jpg
    Cavalry charge, German riots in Leipzig, 1892

How do you not know this stuff? If you're unaware of the use of state repression in the "Liberal" Victorian period, it's clear that your view of it as some kind of utopia is based on a profound ignorance.
    That's correct. What you fail to note is that the abandonment of limited government and the rise of unlimited statism gave rise to the bloodiest century in human history. For Ireland, the statist model has produced decades of economic protectionism, mismanagement, debt, emigration, and state/church moral repression.

Actually, the industrialisation of warfare was already producing far more deadly wars before the end of the liberal period - and your attempt to claim that it was social democracy that produced it rather falls in the face of the way that yet further increases in social democracy have produced no further wars. It would be nice, though, if you even attempted to link the two causally, as opposed to simply stating an extremely contentious claim as if it were a fact.

As to Ireland, it has become prosperous almost exactly as it has moved towards social democracy and away from a church-dominated corporatist state. Again, since you're simply stating your claim as a fact, I'll simply say you're wrong and leave it at that - argument would require refuting, but claiming requires mere rebuttal.

Slavery was not "virtually wiped out" during the liberal period - it was industrialised during the early liberal period, and slowly made illegal by the efforts of interfering busybodies, who eventually made a sufficient nuisance of themselves that the state repressed it, contrary - as people pointed out at the time - to the freedom of trade.

You're capable of believing that the outlawing of slavery was a result of liberalism. I think that tells us everything we need to know, including why you cannot see the parallel.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well, I've seen people deliberately miss the point before, but not by quite such a wide margin. Did it take you long to come up with that particular angle?

I know what you wrote. I also know that you didn't bother to offer any argument to support it, so I just dismissed it. I can do it again if you like.

The nineteenth century - so peaceful. Not in any way full of wars at all.
    And here I was thinking that disastrous borrow-tax-spend social democratic policies have driven us to the brink of bankruptcy for the second time in a generation. Silly me....

Amazing what some people will believe, isn't it?

Yup.

Look, I'm very sorry I'm not engaging with you, but I can't take you seriously. The idea that returning us to a nineteenth century socio-economic system would produce a juster, fairer, more prosperous and peaceful world is...well, let's start with amazing. That someone is prepared to espouse such a view in public while offering no better argument in support of it than that the nineteenth century was juster, fairer, more prosperous and peaceful than today is...well, let's move up to incredible.

I've always appreciated the line "those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it", but never expected to find someone urging people to follow it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Here is a question. If people are generally are willing to live with the current system , be it in the US or here , do they have a right to be angry now? we have to assume they understand the moral hazzard and inefficiencies built into the system and that there must be consequences? I assume smokers dont get angry with cigarette companies if they get ill , they understand what they have signed up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickymickey

Well, the rationale behind it is the same as for any redistributive taxation - that a more equal society is both a fairer society and a better one for everyone.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    seems like the commies are on the rise again..people with wealth create jobs and the more jobs they create the less tax they should pay and the bleeding hearts and begrugder go vote for joe higgins next time around then we will be all equal.

Here is a question. If people are generally are willing to live with the current system , be it in the US or here , do they have a right to be angry now? we have to assume they understand the moral hazzard and inefficiencies built into the system and that there must be consequences? I assume smokers dont get angry with cigarette companies if they get ill , they understand what they have signed up to.

They have a right to get angry because the understanding is that we will accept a tax on our effort as long as that tax is then spent wisely. We are, if you like, in the position of people in a shared building who are paying a management company to maintain the property. We don't like it, but we accept that the alternative is worse...but we've just discovered at the first winter storm that the roof has not been maintained, the gutters and drains not cleared - and the management company is asking us to cough up more money to pay for those things.

I get the following mini budget summary from a friend who is a tax advisor:
    The government has relied on the short term tax bonanzas from the property boom to boost the level of public sector pay and employment and these income sources have now vanished. Following the great tradition of the 1980’s the government feels it can’t borrow its way out of this situation, but doesn’t want to attack the hard target of public sector jobs (the only people in Ireland who can vote their employers out of office). So they have increased taxes more than they have cut spending. Still, an eighties Minister for Finance said that however much you tax, it is impossible to completely destroy the economy – there will always be somebody left to tax. Well, that helps.

The assumption, by the way, that those who are not libertarians have signed away their rights to be angry with the inefficiencies and moral hazards in the system argues a deep but unsurprising incomprehension of anyone else's point of view.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Advertisement