Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'travel 90' dublin bus tickets in spar shops

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

they went up in price from 17euro to 18euro a few months back. i bought a couple of the old stock in some stores for 17euro. but when i had to get them and the only place i could find beside me that sold bus tickets was spar i payed 18euro and was handed the old ticket with the 17euro price blackened out with a marker. the next few i bought were the same. they all had the old price covered.

what id like to know is did spar make an extra euro from their old stock of bus cards or did they have to pay dublin bus the new price when they sold each card(or do they pay for them in bulk?), how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds like they are pulling a fast one. If they had old stock I bet they could have got replacements, I doubt dublin bus would have said just run a marker over it. I would contact dublin bus, I am sure they would be very interested in that scam, for all you know that shop bought up a rake of them just before they went up to pull this very scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they went up in price from 17euro to 18euro a few months back. i bought a couple of the old stock in some stores for 17euro. but when i had to get them and the only place i could find beside me that sold bus tickets was spar i payed 18euro and was handed the old ticket with the 17euro price blackened out with a marker. the next few i bought were the same. they all had the old price covered.

what id like to know is did spar make an extra euro from their old stock of bus cards or did they have to pay dublin bus the new price when they sold each card(or do they pay for them in bulk?), how does it work?
    yes it is very much a scam and dublin bus will be very interested as the €17 tickets are still valid and can be sold for €17 until stocks run out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

rubadub wrote: »
    Sounds like they are pulling a fast one. If they had old stock I bet they could have got replacements, I doubt dublin bus would have said just run a marker over it. I would contact dublin bus, I am sure they would be very interested in that scam, for all you know that shop bought up a rake of them just before they went up to pull this very scam.

****, i threw out some that i had saved, last week i bought one of the new ones with 18euro printed on it but today i got another 17euro markered out ticket, i didnt say anything cos i didnt want to wait for a manager as i was in a rush and didnt need any stress, but they are pullin a fast one indeed.

ill call dublin bus 2moro, i hate spar anyway, theyre only 1 letter away from spa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It's not just Spar. I've bought 3 from at least 3 different shops since January and all have €17 on them blacked out with marker... can't remember which shops exactly, I know one was that corner-type shop on the top of grafton street, beside stephens green shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Bad news guys and gals, SOME of the tickets were coming out of dublin bus like this. Even now, my shop has some of the 90 euro tickets which are now 100 euro.

Dublin Bus have improved on the marker, they now has a little sticker over the price.

Oh, and one other thing, its completely legal even if the shop did do it. !!

• Advertisement

Bad news guys and gals, SOME of the tickets were coming out of dublin bus like this. Even now, my shop has some of the 90 euro tickets which are now 100 euro.

Dublin Bus have improved on the marker, they now has a little sticker over the price.

Oh, and one other thing, its completely legal even if the shop did do it. !!
    as far as i know covering it with a marker isnt legal, u have to put a sticker over it with a new price, i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I don't know the answer but it happened to me too and it was a small corner shop not a Spar Centra etc.

as far as i know covering it with a marker isnt legal, u have to put a sticker over it with a new price, i could be wrong

As far as you know?

Well you know wrong. The price on something can only be classed as a recommended retail price. Even if it has one euro on it in two foot high letters, it still is legal to charge two, three or even four euro. As long as the customer is informed at the time, there is no problem. Look up invitation to treat.

This is fact, and is NOT "as far as I know".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'd like to know where the one journey Travel90 tickets went :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The price on something can only be classed as a recommended retail price. Even if it has one euro on it in two foot high letters, it still is legal to charge two, three or even four euro. As long as the customer is informed at the time, there is no problem.
    Well there's false advertising to consider also, you must correct the displayed price after the error has been realised also...

• Advertisement

But we are not talking about advertised price, we are talking about flashed stock.

In a lot of adverts you will see E&OE exempted. This means errors and Omissions exempted, in other words, if the advertised price is incorrect, then we dont have to honour it.

In a shop, its classed as invitation to treat. If a product has a euro on the wrapper but a shelf label saying 1.20, then no offence has been commited.

If it has one euro on the wrapper, and a sign that says 1 euro, but it scans at 1.20, then an offence has been commited.

Coming back to the original question about the price being blacked out, and an increased price charged, it is completely legal and the OP cannot do anything about it. He can shout and stamp his feet, but it may, or maynot get him anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

But we are not talking about advertised price, we are talking about flashed stock.

In a lot of adverts you will see E&OE exempted. This means errors and Omissions exempted, in other words, if the advertised price is incorrect, then we dont have to honour it.

In a shop, its classed as invitation to treat. If a product has a euro on the wrapper but a shelf label saying 1.20, then no offence has been commited.

If it has one euro on the wrapper, and a sign that says 1 euro, but it scans at 1.20, then an offence has been commited.

Coming back to the original question about the price being blacked out, and an increased price charged, it is completely legal and the OP cannot do anything about it. He can shout and stamp his feet, but it may, or maynot get him anywhere.

It makes one wonder what false advertising actually is if it can be excused by a simple E&OE

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    It makes one wonder what false advertising actually is if it can be excused by a simple E&OE

advertising by its very nature is false, u never get what they 'promise'

Advertisement