Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois Local Elections 2009

• 08-04-2009 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Its getting close to Election Time again. Anyone have any opinions on the way things are in Laois at the moment? Any funny story of visiting politicians or prospective candidates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr. vain

Im living in the portlaoise area and Ive had a few hopefulls knock on my door already. Pat buggy, Jim O Brien and Alan Hand.
    The race is on , may the best team win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brand New

Come on Fianna Fail! Some Sinn Fein eejits called around. Like they even have a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Had a visit from Ray Fitzpatrick, I thought he was very environmentally focussed for a Labour candidate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Who do Fianna Fail have running in Laois?

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Who do Fianna Fail have running in Laois?

Tony Walsh, Liam Phelan, John joe Fennelly, Ray Cribban, Jerry lodge, Dick Miller, Pascal Mc evoy, Larry Phelan, Paddy Bracken, Seamus Mcdonald, Tolita Horan, Catherine Fitzgerald, Willie Murphy, Pauric Fleming,.

Let me know if Ive left out anybody, thats most of them.

• Advertisement

mr. vain wrote: »
    Liam Phelan

Wtf? Is that a joke?

Wtf? Is that a joke?

No Joke, Liam is standing for election for Fianna Fail in Portlaoise.

He,s quite young alright but who knows? We will have the resuts on sat 6th june.

Jesus Christ. Say what you will about the quality of the other Fianna Fail candidates, but what experience does that lad have?

Jesus Christ. Say what you will about the quality of the other Fianna Fail candidates, but what experience does that lad have?

Look he is young and he is involved with the local Gaa, surely he wil get a few votes.

Look he is young and he is involved with the local Gaa, surely he wil get a few votes.

Is that all it takes for Fianna Fail in Laois? Put somebody from the GAA on a ticket and SURELY somebody will vote for him? I think that's a joke. I think that's rather cynical of them and says alot for what they think of the people of Laois - which isn't alot.

They think they can stick a popular lad with GAA connections onto a ticket and get some votes. What the **** happened to somebody going on the ticket who had a genuine interest in the best interests of Laois? Somebody who has serious experience and capability and has worked in the community?

Fianna Fail must be desperate.

• Advertisement

Is that all it takes for Fianna Fail in Laois? Put somebody from the GAA on a ticket and SURELY somebody will vote for him? I think that's a joke. I think that's rather cynical of them and says alot for what they think of the people of Laois - which isn't alot.

They think they can stick a popular lad with GAA connections onto a ticket and get some votes. What the **** happened to somebody going on the ticket who had a genuine interest in the best interests of Laois? Somebody who has serious experience and capability and has worked in the community?

Fianna Fail must be desperate.

Ok fair enough. who is working hard in this area and deserves a vote ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Am I the only one who thinks, given the current climate especially, that we should be insisting that our representatives should have to qualify for their privilege to be voted for by having at least a degree in Economics, Law etc? Instead we have a popularity contest that smacks of the stupidity of the beauty pageant to vote in our leaders.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know", keeps ringing in my ears.

Show me their qualifications.

Ms K Sir A wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks, given the current climate especially, that we should be insisting that our representatives should have to qualify for their privilege to be voted for by having at least a degree in Economics, Law etc? Instead we have a popularity contest that smacks of the stupidity of the beauty pageant to vote in our leaders.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know", keeps ringing in my ears.

Show me their qualifications.

Look you have a point, but we should have candidates from all walks of life. Will you be voting in the laois local elections? and if so for whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i will be voteing in the laois elections and i will be voteing for the independant paul mitchell and for sinn fein aidan mullins, i will not be voteing for fianna fail i.e ray cribbin or willie murphy to me there just a joke completely useless, at least mitchell and mullins will show a bit of interest in local issues the other two just dont care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Look you have a point, but we should have candidates from all walks of life.

If your point is that once a person becomes educated they stop being from the walk of life they were from prior to education....

Perhaps you might argue that once a person becomes elected... they equally stop being from that walk of life they were from before no?
    Or is it possible that an education effects these people while the massive salary, beauty treatments, dining in the company of famous people, invites to big events, new found power etc doesn't alter a person?

At the very least.... once a person decides they wish to rally our support for election, I think they have a duty to us to get their asses into the classroom. I can't become a garda to serve and protect the people without an education, even though I know the difference between right and wrong. Why should I be permitted to represent the people without an education?

It's just very insulting to the Democratic process that Fianna Fail have picked this guy because they believe his background in the GAA will garner votes - "ah sure he's a good lad and plays GAA, vote for him!" That mentality I cannot stand at all.

A candidate should first and foremost care about their town, care about the people in it and the issues affecting them. And thats people from all over the town and all over the county. I have serious doubts that Liam Phelan gives a flying **** about people in, say, Lakeglen or Knockmay or O' Moore Place or any other disadvantaged area in Laois. Yes those are rough areas, but they're also areas which need serious attention if they are to improve and not just be a sorespot to be avoided. I doubt you'll see Liam knocking on any doors down there.

Infact I doubt you'll hear him make any serious political statements or opinions, I doubt you'll see him make any real stands for any real causes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Has anyone any hard data as to how many 1st preference votes a candidate would need to garner to get elected in the 1st count?
    Or how many 1st preference votes gets you over the line down the count process?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,707 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Has anyone any hard data as to how many 1st preference votes a candidate would need to garner to get elected in the 1st count?
    Or how many 1st preference votes gets you over the line down the count process?

http://electionsireland.org/results/local/council.cfm?election=2004L&area=257

heres the results from the 2004 elections

it appears jerry lodge at 667 votes made the quota for 1st preferences at the lowest level... others needed transfers......

ports best wrote: »
    i will be voteing in the laois elections and i will be voteing for the independant paul mitchell and for sinn fein aidan mullins, i will not be voteing for fianna fail i.e ray cribbin or willie murphy to me there just a joke completely useless, at least mitchell and mullins will show a bit of interest in local issues the other two just dont care

Good Choice on your behalf. I will be voting that way here in portlaoise, I HAVE MY MIND MADE UP. SF IND LAB IN that order 1, 2, 3

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Brand New wrote: »
    Come on Fianna Fail! Some Sinn Fein eejits called around. Like they even have a hope.
    Good Choice on your behalf. I will be voting that way here in portlaoise, I HAVE MY MIND MADE UP. SF IND LAB IN that order 1, 2, 3

Quick Q on the "Sinn Fein eejits", I'm not a Shinner by any stretch of the Imagination but is Brian Stanley running. I've met him on a few occasions, he's heavily involved in the community... does a lot of good work. Nice bloke too...

Anyone be able to tell me please?? He would definately be hogh up on my list of preferences!!

(You know its a classic case of local politics vs. national politics)!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i will be voteing IND SF AND LAB in that order, fianna fail have had it to handy for a long time around portarlington and with paul mitchell and aidan mullins they will be a good change and they will do alot for the community as they are already doing

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I voted PD last time because unlike the rest they actually did some good for our residents. I won't go into detail but I had exhausted all other avenues (and that includes Paul Mitchell) and when I contacted Tom Parlon he actually got stuff done. I won't be voting Mitchell as I've heard stories regards planning, etc..

I also had the shinners collecting at the door the other night and when I mentioned that they'd better have a good mandate for the elections, well the look I got. All these muppets think they can just knock on a door say who they are and walk away.

It's going to be hard to decide who to vote for as I don't thinking there will be much (if any) funding to improve infrastructure in Laois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Guys,

You cant be serious about Mitchell! He has done feck all for the town as far as I can make out! He spends more time out in Bulgaria working on his development projects than doing what he should for the town.

I am neutral on Sinn Fein, but I know Aidan Mullins and he is a good guy! Seems very sincere and someone you could trust to get something done.

Ray Cribbin, despite what people think is actually a nice guy, will help the "average joe" if they need anything. Not so sure if he really does anything proactive for the town though!

Agree with Willie Murphy, dont know how that muppet got in in the first place...

As for the rest of them, it's going to be a tough one! There was a guy from Portlaoise running for Labour last time that I thought seemed good so will be giving him a second thought this year!

voodoo wrote: »
    Guys,

You cant be serious about Mitchell! He has done feck all for the town as far as I can make out! He spends more time out in Bulgaria working on his development projects than doing what he should for the town.

I am neutral on Sinn Fein, but I know Aidan Mullins and he is a good guy! Seems very sincere and someone you could trust to get something done.

Ray Cribbin, despite what people think is actually a nice guy, will help the "average joe" if they need anything. Not so sure if he really does anything proactive for the town though!

Agree with Willie Murphy, dont know how that muppet got in in the first place...

As for the rest of them, it's going to be a tough one! There was a guy from Portlaoise running for Labour last time that I thought seemed good so will be giving him a second thought this year!

Good stuff, only thing is Labour dont have anyone from Portlaoise this time im sorry to say. There is a guy from a village 15 miles away near Offaly who has put his name forward for Portlaoise. Good luck to him.

DJCR wrote: »
    Quick Q on the "Sinn Fein eejits", I'm not a Shinner by any stretch of the Imagination but is Brian Stanley running. I've met him on a few occasions, he's heavily involved in the community... does a lot of good work. Nice bloke too...

Anyone be able to tell me please?? He would definately be hogh up on my list of preferences!!

(You know its a classic case of local politics vs. national politics)!!

He is running alright and is trying to get a running mate in with him this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Independent01

Anyone know what's happening in Emo and Luggacurren on the election front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

emcc wrote: »

Thanks for that:-

I think its amazing:-

In Portlaoise

Fine Gael - 6 candidates
    Fianna Fail - 4 candidates
    Sinn Fein - 1 candidate (though 2 has been mentioned on the forum)
    Labour - 1 Candidate (shocker :eek::eek::eek::eek:)

I'm really surprised at Labour.....

For a party that's ready to rule (and had a surge in popularity) it sure isn't putting itself out there!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,707 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

emcc wrote: »

no independants???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Independent01

Am suprised at the low level of independent and labour candidates. I definitely thought labour would put a few more in place.

Advertisement