Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois Local Elections 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

No independant candidates? Thats a shame.

So let's send portlaoise down the sh1tter again for another few years then.

Party politics is what has this country in a mess, people who have to tow party lines rather than think for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Independent01

Agree to some extent but perhaps there are members of parties out there who do think of their communities first rather than whatever party they are from. However, from what I have seen the candidates are simply running on whatever party banner or on the back of having a family member as a councillor, td etc., but have done little or nothing at a local level in terms of ordinary peoples issues discounting involvement in GAA. But GAA is the national sport, most of the country are involved in GAA but that does not get a light fixed, or a footpath installed, or ensure that a response is received from council officers. Have all those with independent minds left the country already ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

lads that dosent seem right, paul mitchell is running and he is indepedant,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

THAT WEBSITE JUST SEEMS TO have party candidates..

francis emerson is also running and shes independent...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Yeah Tom Jacob in Portlaoise and the Hesh McCormack is back from retirement (going to shoe the footless people all over again)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr. vain

moose112 wrote: »
    Yeah Tom Jacob in Portlaoise and the Hesh McCormack is back from retirement (going to shoe the footless people all over again)

Yeah and Michael Moloney brother of John TD for FF is running as an independent in P/L.

I had canassers at my door tonight from Fianna Fail, Some guy called jack Nolan. I left him with a flea in his ear. Has Anybody else had polititions call in the Portlaoise area.

mr. vain wrote: »
    Some guy called jack Nolan.

You obviously not a local so if you not heard of Jack Nolan

You obviously not a local so if you not heard of Jack Nolan

Would know some of the Public reps, I knew there was a shop near the main st that cuts keys called J Nolan. Same Guy?

Yeah same guy alright, he been involved in local politics long time now was the PRO of the laois county board a few years back.
    Does commentry for midlands radio on GAA matches, he was one of the people who re-started the patricks day parade, think he also involved in the christmas lights committeee.
    As regards to local reps he def seems to be one of the most active

• Advertisement

Yeah same guy alright, he been involved in local politics long time now was the PRO of the laois county board a few years back.
    Does commentry for midlands radio on GAA matches, he was one of the people who re-started the patricks day parade, think he also involved in the christmas lights committeee.
    As regards to local reps he def seems to be one of the most active

Sounds good, I will consider Jack for a preferance, I promised the two Sinn Féin lads a vote. Both very well versed and they knew the local issues in the estate. Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fianna Fail have brought this country and indeed this county to economic ruin. Anyone who votes for FF candidates frankly needs their head examined.

I'm sick to the teeth of this brainwashed, ignorant and gombeen pattern of voting for sons and daughters of former politicians and voting a certain way because your family votes that way. Can people even think for themselves?:mad: I despair at much of the Irish electorate at times.:(

I will be giving my votes to Labour and FG in that order. I'm also pretty surprised that there aren't more Labour candidates running in Laois. They would pick up votes in the urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

FF did blow the celtic tiger big time, but they blew it on wage inflation in the public sector and cost overruns in infrastructure. Would FG have scrapped the pay deals at the time, or taken over the West Link, or taken us out of the EU so we could control our own interest rates when inflation got out of control? i don't think so. Labour may be the answer to tighter regulation of financial markets, but they're definitely not the answer to our bloated public sector where 350,000 people out of 2 million workers in Ireland are public sector. I've never voted before but i might vote this time as it's more than just taking the pepsi challenge like in previous years. I'd choose someone who has a proper education and achieved something in the real world, like George Lee has, which would tell me a lot more about a person than them sitting on a port pride or tidy town committee.

alternatively, if Tesco run a candidate i'll vote for him/her so we can get a shop in Port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sharethepain

FF did blow the celtic tiger big time, but they blew it on wage inflation in the public sector and cost overruns in infrastructure. Would FG have scrapped the pay deals at the time, or taken over the West Link, or taken us out of the EU so we could control our own interest rates when inflation got out of control? i don't think so. Labour may be the answer to tighter regulation of financial markets, but they're definitely not the answer to our bloated public sector where 350,000 people out of 2 million workers in Ireland are public sector. I've never voted before but i might vote this time as it's more than just taking the pepsi challenge like in previous years. I'd choose someone who has a proper education and achieved something in the real world, like George Lee has, which would tell me a lot more about a person than them sitting on a port pride or tidy town committee.

alternatively, if Tesco run a candidate i'll vote for him/her so we can get a shop in Port.
    Tesco's are putting there staff in portlaoise on a 3 day week. I think this has put the Portarlington store in doubt......shame really, and they after bribing certian councillors to rezone the land:D

Tesco's are putting there staff in portlaoise on a 3 day week. I think this has put the Portarlington store in doubt......shame really, and they after bribing certian councillors to rezone the land:D

Sorry to hear about the staff, Fianna Fail have realy messed up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smiths

I know FF have made their mistakes but what must be remembered is this election is a local one..local people..local issues. Personally, its the person i vote for every time..regardless of what party they're affiliated to.
    I do like the fact there are a few young first timers running this time around..its time for some young blood/fresh ideas!
    Much known about aoife o meara? She called to my door last night...seemed nice and down to earth (not like many more of them!!) Seems to have some good ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

smiths wrote: »
    I know FF have made their mistakes but what must be remembered is this election is a local one..local people..local issues.

Fianna Fail's mistakes (for want of a stronger word) have seriously affected "local people". Their national mistakes have resulted in widespread unemployment, which is a local issue. A vote for any Fianna Fail candidate in the local elections (even the ones who sneakily hide their affiliation on their posters and leaflets) is a message of support for the Fianna Fail government.
    smiths wrote:
    Much known about aoife o meara? She called to my door last night...seemed nice and down to earth (not like many more of them!!) Seems to have some good ideas.

She's running for Fianna Fail, isn't she? Frankly, that's all I need to know.

RayM wrote: »
    Fianna Fail's mistakes (for want of a stronger word) have seriously affected "local people".

Im not saying local people havent been affected, what i am saying is that a person should be voted for on what they will do for your community not what ticket they happen to be running on. The party is completely irrelevant at local level.
    She's running for Fianna Fail, isn't she? Frankly, that's all I need to know.

Very immature statement..hope this outlook isnt to the detriment of Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

smiths wrote:
    Im not saying local people havent been affected, what i am saying is that a person should be voted for on what they will do for your community not what ticket they happen to be running on. The party is completely irrelevant at local level.

If the party is completely irrelevant at local level, why are the majority of local councillors members of political parties, as opposed to independent? It's funny - you're not the first person I've heard claiming that the party is irrelevant at local level. I've heard a few Fianna Fail members saying the same in recent weeks. You wouldn't happen to be a member or supporter of any particular political party, would you? Of course, I'm not suggesting anything...
    smiths wrote:
    Very immature statement..hope this outlook isnt to the detriment of Laois.

It's not immature at all - it's utterly pragmatic (particularly given the fact that Portlaoise is one of the worst-hit towns in the country regarding recent growth in unemployment). I'm sure plenty of perfectly decent and hard-working FF representatives will suffer as a result of the anti-FF backlash, and that's unfortunate for them, but in the interests of forcing a much-needed change of government, their loss will be the country's gain.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't happen to be a member or supporter of any particular political party, would you? .

I'll admit i would waver slightly to the FF side but locally I'm giving a FG candidate no. 1 for county and FF for town.
    I'm sure plenty of perfectly decent and hard-working FF representatives will suffer as a result of the anti-FF backlash, and that's unfortunate for them,

But its not their loss, its our towns and communities loss if candidates are voted into council simply because they represent any other party but FF. You have to admit this is not a constructive use of a vote.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

do many posters here realise that we've had a Fine Gael led council for the last 5 years???........

FF havent a hope of getting back into Laois co co...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

the biggest laugh in the Laois local elections is FF putting Liam Phelan up, this lad is a complete tosser, goes out on a Saturday night, gets drunk and then starts fights with everyone. Personally id rather not have someone of his class representing the town!! the lad was stabbed outside Egans nightclub a couple of years back.

FF are either getting desperate or they have been very much so mislead with this candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well I wont be repeating the same mistake I made last time.
    I gave Rotimi Adebari my number 1 last time around, he had realistic promises and seemed a genuinely nice guy.

However I was very annoyed when all that stuff about him being deported from France and working illegally in the UK came out. I think it is unacceptable that he chose not to respond to the UK allegation.

I personally find it hard to believe that he was persecuted in Nigeria / would be if her returned - he went to University before coming to Europe and was recently appointed chieftan in his home town.

Unless he comes to my door tonight to explain the above, hes lost my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

blondie7 wrote: »
    the lad was stabbed outside Egans nightclub a couple of years back.

How does being the victim of a crime make someone a scum bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Willie Murphy and his clan calling around the doors last night and I swear they were very merry (and not after hearing a few jokes either).

Why does it take 4 people to knock at one door?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

How does being the victim of a crime make someone a scum bag?

eh the lad started the row, as he always does!!! the chap is barred from numerous pubs in the Portlaoise area, a vote for him is a vote wasted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

right.. i just found out we've three feckin votes tomorrw..
    this is short notice for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭minime1

Portlaoise & Mountmellick have 3 votes rest of Laois only two, I think.

Haven't a clue who'll go for in European :confused:

Think I'll give Emerson my vote in local ones, canvassed by her & she seemed very genuine, fresh & knew what she was talking about. I hate the parties being really pushy at the door :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

what time do polls open at?

Advertisement