Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like the Republicans were right, the troops HATE Obama

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

610x.jpg

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

"Repugs?"

Seriously, though. The man's the President. I may not have voted for him (and per the polls, I'm with the majority of the military), but he's the CinC, and I'm certainly going to try to attend if he visits. He does, after all, hold my future rather directly in his hands, I'm curious to know what he may have to say and get a personal impression. Further, how many other Presidents does a troop today get the chance to see or be seen with? What are they going to do, say "Nah, I don't like you, I'll tell my cool story about and get my photo with the next President of the USA who visits?

Not least, also, the military is not a homogenous block. There's no rule that says that if you're in the Army you can't like Obama, and somewhere between a quarter and a third did vote for him, if memory serves. They're a minority, they're not non-existant.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ho_hum

"Repugs?"

:confused: You're a 'follower' of U.S. politics and you've never heard of the term? I wish I led as sheltered a life!
    how many other Presidents does a troop today get the chance to see or be seen with? What are they going to do, say "Nah, I don't like you.....

You missed the point, entirely. It would, I imagine, be quite easy to fill any room with military for a Presidential visit, even GWB got full houses, but to be greeted with the level of enthusiasm that met Obama when he visited Camp Victory (:rolleyes:) was a touch mortifying for the extreme wing of U.S. politics that huffed and puffed about the possibility of many of these people refusing to serve under this, um, traitor.

That's the point.
    There's no rule that says that if you're in the Army you can't like Obama, and somewhere between a quarter and a third did vote for him

44%, actually. And that was against a supposed war 'hero'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008#cite_note-126

I know, I know, it's Wikipedia, but it provides links for the data if you care to look.

Oh dear, looks like the military coup the Repugs promised isn't coming after all.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the problem is him telling them there great and doing a great job of brining democracy to iraq, which wasn't why they were sent, that was to seek WMD's

the troops love liers

You're a 'follower' of U.S. politics and you've never heard of the term? I wish I led as sheltered a life!

No, I've heard the term, and consider anyone who uses it to be about as mature and worthy of debating with as anyone who uses 'Dimocrat.'
    44%, actually. And that was against a supposed war 'hero'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...#cite_note-126

I know, I know, it's Wikipedia, but it provides links for the data if you care to look.

I've looked (Took a while, the figure was from cite 127 not the 126 you linked to) and you've mis-interpreted the data. The question asked was "Ever Served in U.S. Military?," not "Are you now in the US military." This will include anyone from a current Air Forceman from Arkansas through people from Berkeley who were drafted for the Army in the Vietnam War, and so basically will encompass a huge portion of the national population far in excess of that represented by today's volunteer military. Not a good start. Further, given how CNN conducted the exit poll, a not-insubstantial percentage of the then-current US military could not be surveyed, For example, a good 20% of the Army was at the time serving in places where CNN pollsters tended to be a little thin on the ground.

To my knowledge, the only survey which has made a decided attempt to specifically view the opinion of the current military was that undertaken by The Military Times, which rated the score at 68% McCain, 23% Obama, but even at that the MT cautions against using the data as scientific fact given that they merely polled their subscribers on a voluntary basis resulting in there being no way to determine a level of accuracy. For some reason, I've never been contacted by the pollsters when away with the Army. Can't quite figure out why.
    the problem is him telling them there great and doing a great job of brining democracy to iraq, which wasn't why they were sent, that was to seek WMD's

The two are not mutually exclusive. Note the difference in tense.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

No baiting with that title. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

never heard of a dimocrat.

You need to hang out on more right-wing boards...

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

using catchall insulting terminology does not sparkle with me.

also MM, republican does not mean right-wing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

What I find shocking is that with all them guns in there not one was aimed at Obama. Maybe the hysteria about him 'getting assassinated when he's president' is a load of bollox after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Denerick wrote: »
    What I find shocking is that with all them guns in there not one was aimed at Obama. Maybe the hysteria about him 'getting assassinated when he's president' is a load of bollox after all.

Americans tend to be very concious of etiquette - particularily that of the cut off between the military and political life - and thus only try to bump off their CIC after serving. Or so I've observed.

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    also MM, republican does not mean right-wing.

Did I say it did?

NTM

You need to hang out on more right-wing boards...

NTM
    And listen to Limbaughnians? N'thanks. Dropped out of college for a reason, and it wasn't because they were trying to brainwash him with liberal agenda I assure you. Though thats what he maintains is happening there.

Wheres are the GlennBeckennites? They're "out there" but at least they know their stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

but he's the CinC, and I'm certainly going to try to attend if he visits. He does, after all, hold my future rather directly in his hands...
    Obama visits Afghanistan in a few months. JWM attends the meeting, pushing to the front, shoving several soldiers aside and finally reaches the front and hands his bailout funds wish list to Santa Obama, just in time for Christmas. Right at the top of the list is a shiny new Tank he wants to play with while on his tour of duty.:D

Without detracting from the actual feelings of the troops in the picture who appear genuinely enthusiastic about seeing Obama, there have been noted a couple of issues with the picture being portrayed as an example of the military as a whole. Firstly, apparently it was a 'who wants to go?' deal, as opposed to the Camp Lejeune 'you're going and that's an order' deal. (The latter resulted in Obama receiving a somewhat frosty reception), thus resulting in an atypical view of the Forces. Apparently also the stage-managing included free digital cameras which were handed out to a number of troops.

ObamaSupriseVisitToIraq2.jpg

It does seem interesting how many of the troops happen to have identical cameras. Got to admit, it's a great deal. "Come and show your face next to the President, get a free digicam!"

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Come and show your face next to the President, get a free digicam!"

NTM

'Please do not use for cataloguing activities with prisoners and fellow soldiers....'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Hadn't noticed the cameras were the same, well spotted.
    President Obama certainly knows how to win over a crowd.
    In America, they give you free cameras.
    In Ireland, they would tax you for buying, possessing and operating one.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It does seem interesting how many of the troops happen to have identical cameras. Got to admit, it's a great deal. "Come and show your face next to the President, get a free digicam!"

NTM

I was actually going to say the opposite, there are a few similar ones but on the whole it seems like there is a healthy mix of cameras in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ho_hum

The single funniest comment I have ever read on the interweb...truly, I had to double-check the url, I thought I was on freerepublic.com.

Manic Moran? I don't want to enflame you, but two words: President Obama.

;)

The single funniest comment I have ever read on the interweb...truly, I had to double-check the url, I thought I was on freerepublic.com.

Manic Moran? I don't want to enflame you, but two words: President Obama.

Is either untrue?

Of course, you do place yourself in a bit of a quandry.

I'm a troop. Either I react in an inflamed manner to your jibe, proving that the troops as per a sample of one do hate Obama, thus making your original post a bit redundant, or I react in a nice calm manner with the result that your jibe has fallen flat. Which would you prefer?
    there are a few similar ones but on the whole it seems like there is a healthy mix of cameras in there.

I see three obvious types. There is one example of a thick silver camera with an offset lens, one example of a thin silver camera with a central lens, and lots of examples of thin silver cameras with an offset lens, the one in the far top-left may be a fourth. And I think I see a cam-corder in the top right.

What colour's your camera? Mine's a black near-SLR. My previous was a silver offset lens, the one before that a two-tone grey. There is a nice variety of selections on the market. You have to admit, the predominance of the third type in the shown sample group is an eyebrow-raising coincidence.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

oh so the allegation was all pure speculation then? ... I actually believed you :(

• Advertisement

More like an unattributable source. There's some unnamed soldier being quoted as saying they were handing out the digicams. I've not had time to dig down to find where the original quote came from.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Well the US Military might not hate President Obama, but you got to wonder what the Obama Administration really thinks of our troops, especially since issuing the report "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment" from his version of the Department of Homeland Security.

The Homeland Security assessment specifically says that "rightwing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat."

I guess the Obama Administration feels that our veterans can’t seem to help themselves from joining anti-government organizations. Or understand that they are volunteers who love their country, defend our Constitution and would be repulsed by the hate groups described in the report.

It’s also interesting that a footnote attached to the report by the Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis defines "rightwing extremism in the United States" as including not just racist or hate groups, but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority. It goes on to warn "It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single-issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration."

So I guess now according to the Obama Administration, Veterans, Pro-Lifers, Gun Enthusiasts and those Skeptical of Washington are "RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS." Got to wonder what’s next on the agenda… an Obama Brown Shirt Brigade perhaps?

Story:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/14/federal-agency-warns-of-radicals-on-right/

Document
    http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf

(as always... all just my opinion)

sigh. Where were the gun wielding extremists 4 years ago? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

not to worry - I should have read your origianal post more closely

Advertisement