Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Health Insurance Q'S?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Not sure of the correct forum placement for this question so please move if required.

I am thinking of getting private health insurance for the first time in my life. However I am not sure exactly how it works:o.

I have medical conditions and yesterday after a 1 year 4 months wait I eventually got to meet the HSE Consultant and am going on a waiting list for a surgical operation that I need, I firmly believe that I won't see this done within two to three years on the HSE, (If I live that long:()

From my understanding if I join a PHI (Private Health Insurance) company that I cannot claim for the first year and must disclose my pre-existing conditions.

Is this the case? or could I pay the premium and get the operation carried out within 6 months or should I have to wait the 1st year and before renewing?

I cannot trust the HSE with my health anymore and if I cannot this procedure covered on Private Health Care here I will have to get it done in either Ireland or the United States privately and most probably bankrupt myself in the process.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Not sure of the correct forum placement for this question so please move if required.

I am thinking of getting private health insurance for the first time in my life. However I am not sure exactly how it works:o.

I have medical conditions and yesterday after a 1 year 4 months wait I eventually got to meet the HSE Consultant and am going on a waiting list for a surgical operation that I need, I firmly believe that I won't see this done within two to three years on the HSE, (If I live that long:()

From my understanding if I join a PHI (Private Health Insurance) company that I cannot claim for the first year and must disclose my pre-existing conditions.

Is this the case? or could I pay the premium and get the operation carried out within 6 months or should I have to wait the 1st year and before renewing?

I cannot trust the HSE with my health anymore and if I cannot this procedure covered on Private Health Care here I will have to get it done in either Ireland or the United States privately and most probably bankrupt myself in the process.

Unfortunately (and depending on your age) you will have to wait between 5 and 10 years to get any benefits under private health insurance. However, if you are already on the waiting list for an operation under the public health system there is a special fund that allows you the option of getting treatment elsewhere after you've been waiting for a specific time. I'm not sure how well it works - or even if it's still going to be in place with all the cut backs More details here http://www.ntpf.ie/home/

Advertisement