Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular saver vs lump sum (& dirt question)

Options
  • 08-04-2009 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I don't understand how regular saver accounts get much higher rate of interest than lump sums.
    e.g. AIB regular saver (300 / month max) pays about 5% while the best lump sum rate is 3 odd percent.
    Where is the catch with these regular saver accounts ?
    Surely the monthly amounts dont always receive the beneficial rate.

Also is anyone exploiting these so called parent saver / family accounts which appear to dodge DIRT if the named child is under a certain age.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You'll generally find that the higher rate only applies to the first €5000 (or other set amount) saved, any balances over that usually earn a lower rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

petergdub wrote: »
    I don't understand how regular saver accounts get much higher rate of interest than lump sums.
    e.g. AIB regular saver (300 / month max) pays about 5% while the best lump sum rate is 3 odd percent.
    Where is the catch with these regular saver accounts ?
    Surely the monthly amounts dont always receive the beneficial rate.

Also is anyone exploiting these so called parent saver / family accounts which appear to dodge DIRT if the named child is under a certain age.

It's 5% on each monthly lodgement and the balance already in the account (if any). i.e Your first lodgement (lets say 300 eur) attracts a rate of 5% for the month. The next lodgement brings the total balance to 600 eur and the interest accumulates based on a rate of 5% for the month and so on. Interest is then paid out and added to the principle at the time.

RE: DIRT - this is not true. Link

Advertisement