Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal job

• 08-04-2009 8:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

if anyone is interested there will be an 18yr old appearing in letterkenny district court, all the national papers will be interested.

Dont think I would be allowed to name him but he's allegedly involved with the garda mccallion incident (garda that was knocked down while on duty in donegal and died yesterday-tues)

Anyway - if people are interested in making some money - take pics of 18yr olds going into court with their mum or both parents and send it out to the papers - or I can help you send it out - assuming you get a clear face pic of the kid and confirm it by seeing him in the court and double checking with a newspaper reporter or garda. (note: if you send out the wrong pic theres a huge liability issue)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Is that today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Can you not name him yet you can photograph him?

Wow - a magical thread - now you see it - now you don't - now you do again.
    TaaDaaah! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This post was unapproved for a while. It had been reported due to ethical concerns. The Mods have discussed the issues, not only of this thread but also in a broader sense. The post has now been opened again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Understandable alright,
    given that the legal implications have been made clear if somebody gets it arse ways I'd have to personally see it as ok, its a job after all and as long as its done right its legal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Are all photo jobs of this nature this 'odd'?

I mean surely the paper wouldn't have to check the picture before they publish it, no?

How would the photographer face any liablilty if no information about the person in question is given and the photographer just submitted the pictures - i.e. didn't publish them?

Seems weird to me - but I could have the wrong end of the stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Are all photo jobs of this nature this 'odd'?

I mean surely the paper wouldn't have to check the picture before they publish it, no?

How would the photographer face any liablilty if no information about the person in question is given and the photographer just submitted the pictures - i.e. didn't publish them?

Seems weird to me - but I could have the wrong end of the stick!

The photographer owns the copyright, and sends down the picture with caption or other data naming the person pictured, the paper then publishes that.

It's no different than a journalist being sued for libel. If you are on the staff of the paper it may indemnify you, but if you are a freelancer I'd doubt if they would. Both parties have a duty of care, the photographer's is to get it right and the papers to make sure you're right.

I understand the removal of this thread, in fact, I'm a bit surprised it has returned.
    I mean, it does have serious implications for the photographer, if he/she make a mess of it, and incorrectly identifies someone.
    It's not like someone, who's a celebrity, being snapped down the local supermarket, or even while drunk!

I fully endorse people posting info. regarding possible photo opportunities, but these should all carry a "legal dis-claimer" by the poster & boards, and some kind of "photographer beware" notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think there is enough warning in the OP.
    confirm it by seeing him in the court and double checking with a newspaper reporter or garda. (note: if you send out the wrong pic theres a huge liability issue)

People are also advised to carry Public Liability & Personal Indemnity Insurance if they are doing any sort of paid work.

This is not a Services Wanted as there is nothing in it for PCPhoto & we often have had people who have photographed a news worthy photo & been advised to submit it to the papers. This is much the same but letting people know in advance. How a person acts once there is up to them.

Personally I'm not into this sort of photography but cannot let those preferences influence Modding decisions.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Personally I'm not into this sort of photography but cannot let those preferences influence Modding decisions.

Good call - deserves respect.

I also don't like this type of photography - but everyone to their own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement