Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evo 2010 News

Options
  • 08-04-2009 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/970/970869p1.html
    Australia, April 7, 2009 - Konami today announced PES 2010, and boldly stated that it "will benefit from the most exhaustive raft of new features in the series' history, with every aspect of the game benefiting from key improvements." The game is coming on PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PSP, PS2 and mobile phones this Australian Spring / American Autumn.

PES Productions, the Tokyo-based development team, is setting out to make this the most realistic football simulation available, with player feedback a key part of the process. "We have been monitoring feedback and comments on the progression of the PES series for some time now, and PES 2010 will see us implementing a great deal of the ideas players have been requesting," commented Naoya Hatsumi, Producer for PES Productions at Konami Digital Entertainment Japan. "We aim to make PES 2010 a more user-friendly, immediate experience that places the emphasis on getting straight into the gameplay for which the series is famed. PES 2010 will look better, will play better, and will recreate real football as closely as the current hardware will allow."

The team has expanded for development of PES 2010, with the creation of a number of dedicated departments focused on different aspects of the game, such as online. The key additions/changes to the game are:

Gameplay: "PES 2010 focuses on enhancing the excitement of matches between players, making for a truly challenging experience that will constantly test the player. Intuitive zonal defending will cover spaces and players need to look constantly for new ways to attack. PES 2010 focuses on being a real football simulation, as it requires both strategic play and quick reactions, as in real life. In addition to key out-field elements, goalkeepers are more versatile and with abilities matching those of modern shot-stoppers. The game's referees have also been reworked, with smarter AI elements allowing them to make more balanced calls during matches."

Improved Visuals: "PES 2010 has undergone a major visual revamp, with its celebrated player likenesses and animations now even closer to those of real-life players – including live player expressions to be depicted with an improved lighting system which differentiates between various conditions! Stadium detail is also massively improved, with the grass and other in-stadium elements finely depicted."

All-new Animations and Moves: "Animations now dovetail into each other seamlessly, with dribbling and shots on goals worked into dribbling animations. More individual skills are also on show, including new flicks and tricks that have a definite showing on the way a game flows. Several elements have been completely reworked, with the dribbling, turning and kicking animations greatly enhanced, while there is a noticeable change in pace when a player passes a ball from a standing position than from within a run."

Enhanced Master League: "Master League has been thoroughly renewed with the enhancement of managerial aspects, which enables users to enjoy managing a team for a longer career lifespan. Seen by many as a key contributor to the series' success, the Master League elements in PES 2010 have been bolstered by far-ranging and vital new additions, dedicated to enriching the mode."

AI: "The Tokyo team has worked to improve the AI of the game, with Teamvision 2.0 implemented. Midfielders and defenders now work together to cover open space and close down attacks, meaning that cover can be provided for lower-ranked defenders. This also has the additional effect of removing soft goals, thus returning PES 2010 to its simulation roots. In terms of attacking, players can also now move several players (at) once, sending them into different areas, opening up more goal-scoring possibilities than ever before. As such, PES 2010 necessitates a new level of control from the player. Strategic thinking is as important as quick passing, but the new system greatly opens the way the player oversees control of the team. In free kick scenarios, for instance, players can now instigate the runs of the players awaiting the ball in the penalty area."

Individual Play Characteristics: "In previous PES games, the team formation has determined the movements of the players. PES 2010 introduces a new system wherein the individual attacking and defending nature of the players is integral to the way they play. Each player enjoys unique AI tied into their best abilities, and is reflected in the actions of their team mates – i.e. if a player who is known to be a good crosser of the ball is in possession, more players will flood the penalty area to receive it. Similarly, if a player is known to be good with close control, defenders will work to cover their stronger side, while lone strikers will be automatically supported by midfielders on receipt of the ball."

Strategy Use: "A new power gauge system allows users to balance their strategy in a quick, but wide-ranging way before a match. Every element – pass frequency, movement, the line of defence, width of play, or the position of the front line – can be altered to match those of a favoured club: Juventus Turin are a dangerous side on the counter-attack, for instance, while FC Barcelona use width in their attack. These formulations can be altered at any point, too, with Home and Away matches forcing different circumstances on the user, as does the rigours of a Master League season."

Enhanced Online: "A new dedicated section of the Tokyo team is committed to improving the online side of PES 2010. More downloadable content is also planned. Konami has supported PES 2009 with the release of new licensed teams, transfer updates, etc, and this support will grow for PES 2010. Team and content updates are planned throughout the game's lifespan. These will make the game even more bespoke to the player's match day needs."

Match-Day Atmosphere: "Crowd reactions to the on-field action are now more varied, with all new chants and cheers. The subtle difference between Home and Away matches will be reproduced, and the crowd will react spontaneously to specific situations in a game, showing their disdain or pleasure as fouls are committed and goals scored. Likewise, the commentary has been altered to offer a fresher, more concise overview of the game."

Penalties: "An all-new system has been implemented, offering greater control, placing and accuracy."

Exclusive Europa League License: "Konami has strengthened its relationship with UEFA and can announce it has secured the exclusive video game rights for the Europa League Licence (formerly known as the UEFA Cup). In addition Konami will be enhancing and developing the use of the UEFA Champions League within PES 2010 to make even better use of the best club football competition in the world."

Look out for more on PES 2010 on IGN soon.

I got as far as "Team Vision 2.0" and had to stop for a little laugh....

I hope they are telling the truth with all this and that it isn't JUST marketing guff - remember PES2009 had a complete graphical overhaul too....

Main points of interest for me:
    PES 2010 focuses on being a real football simulation
    goalkeepers are more versatile and with abilities matching those of modern shot-stoppers
    referees have also been reworked, with smarter AI elements allowing them to make more balanced calls during matches

Of course, there were a lot of other pieces that are of interest, but they are the main ones for me.

Please get this right Konami. I'd love for them to release an image or two...

Also, i'd ask people not to flame this thread with PES SUCKS FIFA RULZ crap, please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I just hope they put back keeper control in unassisted mode, why oh why they removed in in 2009 is beyond me, and also to put the pirouette back to controlled by the right analogue stick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't know about the right analog to be honest. The bit in the press release about being able to move more than 1 player at a time, my first thought on that would be that additional player movement would mapped to the right analog stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Seems like a lot of PR stuff, no real specifics yet.

Once we see some gameplay videos and hands-on reviews, we will see how much of an improvement it is.

Otacon wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of PR stuff, no real specifics yet.

Once we see some gameplay videos and hands-on reviews, we will see how much of an improvement it is.

Won't be getting them for a few months yet. I think we might get some screens soon enough though.

It is all PR stuff, but it is setting down a marker - they are promising a lot in this release, if they don't deliver on it, it will be the end for the PES series. From what I am hearing, Konami know this, and are determined to get to right this year.

The massively expanded development team and dedicated departments are very, very welcome confirmations indeed.

I truly hope they can get the series back to what it used to be in the PS1/PS2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The one thing I want changed more than anything, is the Konami ID system. Get rid of it. Its a crap system with absolutely no benefits.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    The one thing I want changed more than anything, is the Konami ID system. Get rid of it. Its a crap system with absolutely no benefits.

Apparently the Konami devs don't like the system either, but the very higher ups want it, for some reason, so are forcing it on the dev teams for all their online games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Its amazing how they can say so much, without really saying anything at all.

Wasn't PES2008 an improvement over PES6 also? What do you expect them to say really, that the game is rubbish?

I've poured thousands of hours into all the Pro Evo's up to 6, but I've lost all faith now. I don't think they can turn it around to the extent that they need to. Having said that, I'll still give the demo a go when it's out.

EA have a top game in FIFA, but the amount of bugs in Ultimate Team is shocking. They fix one thing, and break another. At the moment, its like, this week we will fix the *searchfailure bug, but you won't have the expiry problem. Ah, now, this week, you will have the expiry problem, but we'll fix the *searchfailure bug.

Blah, to both of them. Full of marketing talk.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Its amazing how they can say so much, without really saying anything at all.

Wasn't PES2008 an improvement over PES6 also? What do you expect them to say really, that the game is rubbish?

I've poured thousands of hours into all the Pro Evo's up to 6, but I've lost all faith now. I don't think they can turn it around to the extent that they need to. Having said that, I'll still give the demo a go when it's out.

EA have a top game in FIFA, but the amount of bugs in Ultimate Team is shocking. They fix one thing, and break another. At the moment, its like, this week we will fix the *searchfailure bug, but you won't have the expiry problem. Ah, now, this week, you will have the expiry problem, but we'll fix the *searchfailure bug.

Blah, to both of them. Full of marketing talk.
    I don't understand how people can have lost complete faith in Konami, and have turned to FIFA, just doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why some have turned to FIFA recently, but to completely write off, and lose all faith in, Konami is not understandable imo.

EA started off with great titles in FIFA Soccer and FIFA 95, and then went down hill imo, with quite poor output (very poor in comparision to the ISS and Pros) on the PS1 and PS2 especially. Even the first FIFA on PS3 was a poor showing. If EA can turn it around so spectacularly after so many years, why do people think it is completely beyond Konami to turn it around after just two relatively poor years?

I can understand people being skeptical that they will live up to the PR fluff here, but to write them off completely is just odd to me, considering.

As for this release saying a lot without saying anything.... I disagree. Without going into technical specifics, this release promises A LOT. Whether Konami deliver on this is another matter, but this release is saying a lot imo. Also, one reason I think Konami could well be a position to deliver this year is the massive expansion of the development group for the game - 200 people added to the team and dedicated dev teams set up for specific areas is exactly what was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Konami need to go right back to the fundamentals with this "new" incarnation.

I am constantly frustrated with a myriad of stupid things that happen in PES 09 - I'm not going to get into it now but two examples are how ridiculously stupid the passing mechanism is and how crossing the ball is totally pointless as scoring from a cross is nigh on impossible.

See here for my problems with PES2009 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055418429

Year on year I feel like PES is an unfinished and rushed article which has not been tested thoroughly.

Get the finger out Konami...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I pray this gets back to it's best, everytime i go to play it i just go meh and put a fifa in. But Pro evo is still my game of choice even though i have not played it as much this year.

Really hoping for a big change this year.

• Advertisement

FYI - for anyone reg'd on WENB - they have an official Press Release Feedback thread, that Konami will apparently be looking at very closely. PESfan may have similar, haven't checked their site since just after the release came out.

WENB thread here: http://kitanamedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=154

So, if you have feedback on the actual press release, you could do so in that thread (as I have done.... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I don't understand how people can have lost complete faith in Konami, and have turned to FIFA, just doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why some have turned to FIFA recently, but to completely write off, and lose all faith in, Konami is not understandable imo.

Loss of faith comes from:
    • PES6, first one next gen console, no edit mode which PS2 had. Rush job.
    • PES2008, the worst game of the Pro Evo / ISS series to date
    • PES2009, completely broken online play with tearing, gameplay not as good as promised (still, its decent tho, but they promised much more). Outdated squads, even though FIFA had them and released around 2-3 weeks earlier. Loss of licenses for Spanish sides.

I'm not saying they won't turn it around. I'm still going to try the demo when it comes out and I hope its as good as the series used to be. But going on the past 3 iterations, I'm not holding my breath. I expected them to turn it around for the past two years. They didn't.

Put this along side FIFA, which has improved dramatically since 07. I don't buy into being on one side or the other. I'll play whichever one is better. I don't care which one that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭liverpo

Mitch Connor, good work mate, with all the problems in PES09 its still my favourite PS3 game, every year i hope they'll nail it but for me its still the best footie game going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ersatzian

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about...the end for the PES series? Please, even if FIFA was lightyears better than PES (which it is not), nobody in Asia would touch it. The main market for Konami is Japan and greater Asia (as in that's where they make the majority of their sales). Compare FIFA sales in Japan to PES sales in America and you will realize how funny your comment sounds. Hahaha! Maybe you were being sarcastic...but I doubt it...
    It is all PR stuff, but it is setting down a marker - they are promising a lot in this release, if they don't deliver on it, it will be the end for the PES series. From what I am hearing, Konami know this, and are determined to get to right this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=70053

There's an apparent pic of Messi there - looks convincing enough, though I'd say its not from in game play.

I've had a few discussions on that forum re pes 2010, there had better be a LOT of iprovements to make me buy it, because Pes 09 is shyte (though I still play it nearly every night lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I don't care if they don't change a thing regarding gameplay, graphics, modes etc AS LONG AS THEY FIX THE BLASTED ONLINE......AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I don't care if they don't change a thing regarding gameplay, graphics, modes etc AS LONG AS THEY FIX THE BLASTED ONLINE......AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Online??? The amount of things wrong with this game - IMO they should fix OFFLINE first!

Defenders giving away penalties (COM controlled), not being able to judge passes at all - or who you pass 2 (god forbid there might be 2 team mates further up the pitch), match fixing by the com, cheating (com getting free kicks because you ran near them, but you get creamed and get nothing most of the time), keepers forgetting that they're meant to catch the ball, slow ass defenders all of a sudden catching up with Messi, Bojan, Gambino etc the list goes on.

Online??? The amount of things wrong with this game - IMO they should fix OFFLINE first!

Defenders giving away penalties (COM controlled), not being able to judge passes at all - or who you pass 2 (god forbid there might be 2 team mates further up the pitch), match fixing by the com, cheating (com getting free kicks because you ran near them, but you get creamed and get nothing most of the time), keepers forgetting that they're meant to catch the ball, slow ass defenders all of a sudden catching up with Messi, Bojan, Gambino etc the list goes on.

Agreed 0 if they only got the online sorted, then all we would have is a super smooth online version of Pes2009....

While i do actually like PES2009, that would not be even close to being acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

ditto. ain't no point in them improving the gameplay unless they fix online play. i played fifa online, 10 v 10, twenty bloody people, no lag.

konami - online playability for pes 2010 = death of pes

BeeSee wrote: »
    ditto. ain't no point in them improving the gameplay unless they fix online play. i played fifa online, 10 v 10, twenty bloody people, no lag.

How does that make sense to you?

Seriously, its mind boggling.

How can anybody possibly think that online is more important than the gameplay. Would you be happy with a smooth online for PES09 in a shiny new PES2010 box? Honestly?

I can understand people wanting online fixed (personally I don't care at all, i prefer to play mates in my house, or theirs, with a few drinks) but to prioritize it over gameplay is shockingly wierd in my opinion.

• Advertisement

How does that make sense to you?

Seriously, its mind boggling.

How can anybody possibly think that online is more important than the gameplay. Would you be happy with a smooth online for PES09 in a shiny new PES2010 box? Honestly?

I can understand people wanting online fixed (personally I don't care at all, i prefer to play mates in my house, or theirs, with a few drinks) but to prioritize it over gameplay is shockingly wierd in my opinion.

what i'm sayin is online play should in my opinion be the most important improvement of pes 2010. if they improve the game play and its still pants online i personally wont buy it. i dont see the point in this day and age of having a ps3 & broadband if you cant play your games online, aint online play a massive aspect of consoles these days?

plus now that fifa is there as an alternative, there's an adequate replacement

what i'm sayin is online play should in my opinion be the most important improvement of pes 2010. if they improve the game play and its still pants online i personally wont buy it. i dont see the point in this day and age of having a ps3 & broadband if you cant play your games online, aint online play a massive aspect of consoles these days?

plus now that fifa is there as an alternative, there's an adequate replacement

indeed - online is important, but for me it will come second to gameplay, always. Sure, i'd like to be able to play online, but playing against mates in the same room is a far more enjoyable experience and it is the gameplay that will make or break that, as it would the online aspect. the gameplay is the core of the game, if they don't get that right online won't matter a damn cause people simply won't play it.

indeed - online is important, but for me it will come second to gameplay, always. Sure, i'd like to be able to play online, but playing against mates in the same room is a far more enjoyable experience and it is the gameplay that will make or break that, as it would the online aspect. the gameplay is the core of the game, if they don't get that right online won't matter a damn cause people simply won't play it.

i've enoyed many a pes tourney myself over the years, agreed more enjoyable than playing against a stranger online. but i think in this day and age when the technology is there, why konami cant get it right is beyond me, it would be nice to play a quick game or 2 online against another human, get a true reflection on how good you are etc.

unless the gameplay in pes 2010 is far superior to that of Fifa (presuming online is still flawed) think i'll be switchin over :(

i desperatley hope i'm proved wrong, but wont be holding my breath

i've enoyed many a pes tourney myself over the years, agreed more enjoyable than playing against a stranger online. but i think in this day and age when the technology is there, why konami cant get it right is beyond me, it would be nice to play a quick game or 2 online against another human, get a true reflection on how good you are etc.

unless the gameplay in pes 2010 is far superior to that of Fifa (presuming online is still flawed) think i'll be switchin over :(

i desperatley hope i'm proved wrong, but wont be holding my breath

personally, the news i am hearing is all good so far.

Dev team increased with 200 new staff members.

Dedicated teams for pieces of the game.

but the big one.... the REALLY big one imo, as it ties the entire game together as the animations are part of the problem....

MOTION CAPTURE!! At long last the game will have motion capture, whihc means the animations should be more realistic, and the play should flow as a result. There are other reasons, but right now motion capture is a big deal for me.

On the motion capture - it seems to be 100% that it is being used for the game, but apparently the way it is being implemented is very exciting. What that means, I have no idea as I can't think of any 'new' way motion-capture' could be implemented. Might find something out within the next 10 days or so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I got as far as "Team Vision 2.0" and had to stop for a little laugh....

I got as far as...
    with player feedback a key part of the process.

They've said that for years, with little to no evidence to prove it and there have been actual emails of lists of things sent directly to them over the years through various groups and people pretty important to the community.
    I hope to god they do listen to someone... anyone, this time and manage to release something decent, but the main thing that worries me again with their announcements are the "instantly accessible" comments. WE/PES when it was great was never instantly accessible, it took time to learn and improve, but that has been lost in recent years and it's now the badly animated pinball we're all too used to. :(

dar83 wrote: »
    but the main thing that worries me again with their announcements are the "instantly accessible" comments. WE/PES when it was great was never instantly accessible, it took time to learn and improve, but that has been lost in recent years and it's now the badly animated pinball we're all too used to. :(

I disagree - PES has always been instantly accessible- it was never, ever, difficult to play. People were always able to pick up the pad and get straight in to it, pass the ball around and get some decent playing going. Now, it was difficult to master and the more time you put in to the game the better you got and the more you got out of it.

Easy to play, hard to master. It is a cliche, but one that is true in terms of Pro Evo's of old.

Also, the 'instantly accessible' talk could be down to making the game easy to get in to in terms of starting games - simply a well designed and easy to use UI, which is how i picked up on it based on the rest of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I agree to a point, but if you go back to ISS Pro Evo 2 or PES1, it wasn't exactly pick up and play. Even on 3 stars the first few games you played were quite the drop into the deep end. Scoring was another matter altogether and you were happy to string some good passes around the pitch, let alone finish it with a decent goal. :)

Those days were probably the most rewarding of all the WE/PES's as it steadily got faster and more dependant on their "quick responses" that they love so much and not so much the thought out approach that was such a breath of fresh air back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Hopefully they will get someone with a good grasp of English to sort out some of the text in the game which looks likes it was translated on google.

The menus need a lot of work to make them more acceptable they're not even at PSOne games level. The sound effects are head wrecking in the menu too as well as in the game.

The memory device should be automatically chosen once you select it at the start instead of having to pick which device every time. We're not back in the days of having 8mb memory cards anymore with saved games all over the place.

It's good to hear there's 200 extra people working on it, hopefully some of them were hired from outside Konami and can bring something better to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Always was a fifa man from the start, but pes has grown on me lately. My main problem with 2009 was when your trailing a opposite playing your player will slide tackle without pressing anything getting him sent off, and then the slow reactions/bad passing lol.

I cant wait for the demo to be out, hopefully they will deliver what they said.

Advertisement