Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did the math.

Options
  • 08-04-2009 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Works out at about 1 months salary in a year less I am taking home. :( That is not even factoring in the means testing on the child benefit.

If both of us were working we would be seriously screwed. It is actually economical not to work now.

Crazy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hobbes wrote: »
    It is actually economical not to work now.

Well then what's everybody complaining about??? :D

Sorry to hear you got hit

Maybe see if there's any changes you can make to claw back that money, shopping in Aldi/Lidl, etc. Maybe work out a personal budget in Excel if you haven't already?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Dave! wrote: »
    Maybe see if there's any changes you can make to claw back that money, shopping in Aldi/Lidl, etc. Maybe work out a personal budget in Excel if you haven't already?

We are already doing this. It is not like I was rolling in the cash to begin with. Also Excel costs money. Open Office of Symphony. See saving money already. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Works out at about 1 months salary in a year less I am taking home. :( That is not even factoring in the means testing on the child benefit.

If both of us were working we would be seriously screwed. It is actually economical not to work now.

Crazy.

Yep...exact same situation here Hobbes. After yesterday I have just lost one months pay a year. Wife is at home minding two young kids so no child care costs thank god.

That is on top of pay cut we had to take recently so a drop of about 20% in the last month. More to come next year/later this year I assume when they realise they botched this budget also.

Everyone has to take some of the burden...no argument there. I'm still not sure what to make of it all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hobbes, sorry to hear you got hit.

My mates brother works part time as a chef. If he gets let go in the morning he says it would almost be the best thing to happen him, he'd have lots of free time and wouldn't loose too much income once tax and the dole are taken into account. wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

How did you lose a full months pay?:confused:

I lost some on the levy.

Where did you lose so much money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It is actually economical not to work now.
    That's Ireland for you. If you're industrious and successful you are penailsed, while if you prefer to live off the fat of the land you thrive. You'll find that our social welfare system, taxation structures and family laws are all geared towards that. I think it's a fiscal implementation of our national predisposition towards begrudgery.

It never went away during the Celtic Tiger - it just sat at home watching Sky waiting for its claim against the Corpo to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

mortgage interest relief?
    childhood supplement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

on primetime last night they worked out the figures

family with 2 kids earning 60k - end up loosing about 4k a year i.e a months wages

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

The big ****-off bite taken out of your wages by the doubling of the health levy (2% >> 4%) and the raising of the ceiling from €52k to €75k for PRSI.

If you have childers, then you probably ****ed too
    Mortgage Interest relief halved, and gone altogether after first 7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    How did you lose a full months pay?:confused:

I lost some on the levy.

Where did you lose so much money?

early childcare supplement. Two young kids....that is the big one.

While everyone has been hit by this budget, people with young kids have really been hit hard in every area with more to come next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement