Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody headed up north for baby stuff?

• 08-04-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just wondering if anybody has already been or is thinking of heading up north or to the UK for baby things. I was talking to a friend who was saying it's much cheaper to buy Mama's and Papa's up north than it is in the south. If it's just a few €€€€ in savings I couldn't be bothered travelling up but if it's more i'd definatly be interested.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I do!

Nappies are cheaper,formula is half the price.
    Baby clothes are lots cheaper.
    Baby wipes and shampoo,bubble bath,oils,bonjela,sun cream,soothers are all a fraction of the price.
    Semi chem is a great shop for that sort of stuff.
    Check mammas and papas uk website for prices.
    kiddicare.com is fantastic for prams and cots and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just wondering if anybody has already been or is thinking of heading up north, or to the UK for baby things.

up north, or to the UK ....... ?

Yeah, we are going up North within the next month or so to buy the larger items like a cotbed, a pram, etc, + anything else that takes our fancy. We will probably head for Newry, although I have heard that the traffic can be chronic, so we might take the longer option & head for Enniskillen instead > hope my boot is big enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KildareCross

I went up north for the pram in enniskillen. I got a silvercross 3d pram that turns into a stroller etc with a silvercross carseat everything the latest model. Withe the change over and all it cost about 450 euro, this does not sound like im savin much except i was able to order the pram as i liked it i.e with larger wheels, different handle bars etc so the service is a lot better as here it is take what you are given.
    The price of wipes, sodocrem, nappies and everything is half the price. You would want to be bulk buying though as it is a long journey if you want to save anything realistically. (spelling bad sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

We drove up to Belfast last weekend as we saw a Cotbed in Mamas and Papas that was way cheaper in their Belffast store. We saved around €300 on the cot, mattress and a chest. Exact same stuff and also delivered to our door. Was well worth the trip.

We bought our Quinny on Kiddicare.co.uk I reckon we saved €300-€400 on buying it there. We ordered on the Sunday evening and it arrived on the Wednesday Morning.

Well worth shopping around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Ashlynn

Definatly worth the trip from what I hear everything is cheaper there is a lad I work with & he headed up to Smyths to price a cot & the identical one down here was €200 dearer :eek: typical rip off Ireland, if you can find the time I would head up there guranteed to find bargains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

We went up and got a good few things - all of it was cheaper than it was here (in kealy's, mother care, etc). BUT, I checked online afterwards and it would have been even cheaper to just buy it online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

YES!

Mammas & Pappas are well worth the visit. Located in the Victoria shopping centre with a massive car park underneath it (like Dundrum). The staff are excellent and we saved hundreds on the pram/car seat etc. system.

I also wanted a mattress for the cot; "Sorry sir, we don't have any in stock, but I can order one in" she said, "thanks but I live in Dublin so it's too far to travel again" I replied, "oh we can deliver it instead, £6.40". I couldn't believe how cheap it was!

I am amazed how Blanchardstown do any business especially as the euro and sterling prices are on all labels. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

YES BUT

Alot of stuff in the north is sold out when you get there. I went up for a buggy and something else ...oh a cot - both outta stock.

bought them in dublin instead at a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Should'a phoned first?

We are going up shortly for the Pram, cotbed+ whatever else, but we will call Mothercare in Newry first.

Its a long drive up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Probably going tomorrow for baby stuff... I will let you know where is cheaper...

Here is my list:
    buggy
    nappies
    maternity jeans
    baby clothes
    hospital items
    nursing bras
    milk substitute
    steam steriliser + bottles
    teats
    bottle brush
    non-bio powder

I'll do my research and I let you know....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Chelle1

I bought everything in Euro Babys about 3 years ago after my first son. Only after I bought everything did I discover ebay. I was raging. Everything was so much cheaper. I felt completely ripped off. My advice to anyone, (who can't make it up north), would be to go and get the info in all the local shops and then go on ebay and you will definately get your specific items cheaper including delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

Hi Guys,

Good post , Happy09 you mentioned you may post back with the locations you went to for all the items metioned , I am also looking for these items and would love to see where you went.

Thanks in advance

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Went to NI ( newry area) and saved definetely. Very happy with my purchases.
    • buggy - the best price is on Ebay actually, but still NI will save you 20-50 euros
    • nappies - Asda in Kilkeel is great, Sainsbury was too expensive -it's like M&S
    • maternity jeans- don't like mothercare,was looking in next but they don't have maternity section in newry
    • baby clothes - SAVED THE MOST. Went to penneys and dunnes.Prices are much lower than in Ireland. Was planning to buy minimim but was able to buy loads of cute clothes for the same price I would pay in Dublin.
    • hospital items - mothercare in newry
    • milk substitute/non-bio powder- Asda in Kilkeel
    Basically I'm very happy with trip to Newry.My suggestion is to plan everything.You should know where you going, addresses, plans of shopping centers (check online). Plus if you go, go to Asda for food.They have great offers.

Hope it helps!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

hay

my sister does it every few weeks and she stocks up upon baby stuff for her and my other sister! she says everything is dirt cheap!! i heard her sayin the other day that those baby wipe things worked ou half the price of the same brand in ireland!!

if your goin its well worth goin to newry and go early in the mornin!!! try get into newry before 10 as once it hits 11 or 12 traffic begins to back up from ppl coming from the south to shop!!

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I would definitely recommend toys r us in Lisburn. It is in the sainsbury's retail unit in Lisburn. They have a babies r us section. Got a great deal on my pram including all extra accessories free. I recently purchased the nappy changing unit for £60. It is much cheaper that any Argos or Smyths here. Their website is www.toysrus.co.uk There is also a 24 hour Asda just 15 mins from there in Westwood shopping centre (it is just off the belfast road). I also found the nappies in boots - 2 packs for €6.00 (Newborn) to be just as good as the pampers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

we went to enniskillen a few times, but we decided that its more cost effective for me to work then waste a day in the car

OP dont forget lidl

pampers here 19c each when bought in the biggest package
    pampers in enniskillen are 11p each when bought in the biggest package
    lidl nappies here are 17c each and are better then pampers

wipes here are about e2.40 a packet in tescos (although sometimes bogof)
    wipes here are e1.09 a packet in lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Oak1000

Hi all,

We are expecting our first. Very nervous and checking every website both UK and here for ideas and help. We recently found a great product in the UK for pregnant women who drive called Tummy Shield. It basically protects the fetus from being harmed by the seat belt if you have a small or (God forbid) big bang in your car. It gives us peace of mind when I go out in the car. I don't know if you can get it here but it's worth checking out. You can't be too careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

sandyg wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend toys r us in Lisburn. It is in the sainsbury's retail unit in Lisburn. They have a babies r us section. Got a great deal on my pram including all extra accessories free. I recently purchased the nappy changing unit for £60. It is much cheaper that any Argos or Smyths here. Their website is www.toysrus.co.uk There is also a 24 hour Asda just 15 mins from there in Westwood shopping centre (it is just off the belfast road). I also found the nappies in boots - 2 packs for €6.00 (Newborn) to be just as good as the pampers. :D

The Toys R Us is in Sprucefield retail park. I've gone there too and got a thermometer that was €60 up here for just €20. They are very good but for some reason they will not ship goods to RoI. It's not that far a drive down though. I only discovered the shop on the way back from a trip to Belfast. There's a Sainsburys right beside it too.

Advertisement