Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell Coming up Kitchen Sink \ Under Sink

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this should be in the Plumbing Section but I'll start here in the event other Charlesland Residents may have come across the issue.

I have a 3 Bed Terrace House in the Court and have noticed a smell coming up through the kitchen or possibly under the sink over the last 2 weeks, I have flushed the sink with (Boiled Water, Bleech, Caustic Soda) as well as some kind of hand pump so its not blocked.

It seems to be hit and miss as when the smell starts (I thought the washing machine or dishwasher may have contributed),

Plan to remove U-Bends under sink tonight but can anyone else hazzard a guess to what it might be,

Cheers

Earlsie :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Firstly, you shouldn't get a smell from under the sink. All the seals should be doing their job but nevertheless, there'll always be one seal which is a bit crap.

Where your waste pipe comes down from the sink and meets the floor, it goes from a small bore white pipe to a 4 inch soil pipe. The change in size is helped by a rubber grommet. Check this grommet is correctly sealed all the way around. If you can't see the grommet, then it is possible it is lower down but under concrete.

The alternative is to clean the soil pipe. I think in the houses the pipe runs from the wash basin in the downstairs loo and connects with the Kitchen Sink soil pipe. Go to the back garden and find the AJ (Access or Armstrong Junction). Turn on the tap in the kicthen and see if this is the correct pipe. Get a loan of some rods suitable for this operation and just rod the pipe as far as you can.

I have found that a lot of grease builds up in the 4 inch soil pipe and this is what causes the smell, so much so the crap seals don't hold the smell back. Of course, the seals in my house are grand!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Thanks Ciarán, As helpful as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Check vent gully beside foul AJ. Sometimes this gully gets blocked and lets fumes go back up foul line into house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have same problem and found it was most potent after a cycle in the washing machine.

The waste pipe that the machine waste hose connects to under the sink might be the source.

There is a U-bend to stop smells coming back up the drain but for some reason after a wash cycle there is little or no water in this U-bent thus bad smells getting out into the kitchen.

The only solution i have found so far is to fill a jug with fresh tap water and slowly pour it down that offending U-bend and that solves the problem till the next wash cycle.

Hope that is helpful info.

Advertisement