Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Reduction

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

I was looking through daft yesterday just out of interest and to my surprise i saw a 2 bedroom apt in my complex going for 200 euro a month less a month than I'm paying for a 1 bedroom.

I'm planning on ringing the letting agent today and seeing if i can get a reduction in my rent and if not I'm planning on moving out. I have a 12 month fixed term contract. Am i right in saying i can give a months notice and be entitled to my deposit back?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

phreak wrote: »
    I was looking through daft yesterday just out of interest and to my surprise i saw a 2 bedroom apt in my complex going for 200 euro a month less a month than I'm paying for a 1 bedroom.

I'm planning on ringing the letting agent today and seeing if i can get a reduction in my rent and if not I'm planning on moving out. I have a 12 month fixed term contract. Am i right in saying i can give a months notice and be entitled to my deposit back?

Re: notice- you are correct.
    You are on a fixed term lease however. If you vacate the lease prior to its natural expiration- you can be held liable for any periods of vacancy or difference in the rent received by the landlord until the period of the original lease has expired. This can be gotten around by subletting on your part- however it has to be with the prior agreement of the landlord- and the rent as per the original lease continues to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

so if i was to move out before the contract ends and gave notice i'd lose the deposit and be liable for the rent for the rest of the contract unless the landlord decided to be nice about it?

except for subletting is there any other ways around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It is pretty clear that you cannot terminate a fixed term lease early unless the landlord is in breach of their obligations.

Ask for a reduction, I did last week and got one. Although I felt that we signed a contract at a price that we deemed fair value back in August '08 so the landlord had every right to refuse, its like people wanting to change from a fixed interest rate to a variable at the moment because the market has gone against their original decision...It is pretty much tough luck but you might have a landlord with a brain and a little bit of savvy who would want to keep you in the apartment for a reduced price rather then an empty apartment after the lease is up. Make your position clear that reducing the rent now would go a long way towards you renewing the lease when it is up for renewal.

Tenants are slowly gaining the upper hand and when my lease is up for renewal I will be asking for another reduction and a 6month lease!

Advertisement