Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Budget force down creche costs?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

We've a 5 month old that due to go to the creche from the end of June at €965 a month. With the childcare supplement finishing and with more and more people loosing their jobs, childcare is fast becoming less affordable. Added to the fact that unemployed women, with small families, may start to look at having a 'cash' job, minding kids, like back in the old days!

Will creches begin to start going out of existance?

What do people think?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

They have already started to going out of business

since christmas, 10 of the facilities i work on have closed down.

The problem is, childcare is labour intensive with guidelines for the number of adults to childcare raotio and you have a baby which is even more intensive.

Childcare workers are not very well paid as it it, therefore in order for the creches to reduce childcare fees, they will need to reduce staff wages which they cant really deduce them anymore

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I hope creche costs fall ,I really do but with the cost being slightly subsidised now I dunno what will happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭calahans

Our local one in dublin puts its fees up in jan :eek:

Advertisement