Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble getting to sleep...

Options
  • 08-04-2009 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

It normally takes me the best part of an hour - sometimes more, before I drift off to sleep.

If I put the TV on I somehow force myself to stay awake to watch whatever sh**e is on. So I now normally turn it off fairly early. But even when I'm not watching telly in bed I still lay there wide awake for ages before I can get to sleep. My mind does be racing, just thinking of any random stuff.

What makes it even more frustrating is that my O/H can get into bed and say "I'm going to sleep now, good night" - she turns over and is gone in a matter of seconds!!!

I've heard people say that its a sign of stress when your mind is racing and you cant get to sleep.

Are there any recommended techniques that I could try...

Just to note that I never usually have trouble sleeping on say a Friday/Saturday night if I've had a couple of beers! I'm not talking gallons or anything, or even every weekend. Just on the odd occasions that I do have a beer. I mean 3-4 bottles of beer at home relaxing. (Not an alco!!)

Could it be that I am too stressed and on a Friday or Saturday night I finally relax and unwind?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It could be stress. Try cutting out caffiene after 7pm, and try not to eat for a few hours before you go to bed. Avoid working in your bedroom, and especially from your bed. If you do any work on your computer at home, do it in another room. Don't watch TV before or in bed, it's too stimulating. Try reading for a short while instead. Start getting into a fixed routine of going to bed at the same time every night. Lavendar can help induce sleep, so try sprinkling lavander oil lightly on your pillow if you can stand the smell.

Other than that, just try to control your thoughts and guide them towards pleasant relaxing things, rather than stressful things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 d1widdhair

i used to b able to sleep for hours till i hit about 16 then id go for weeks staying awake till 4 or 5 and the only thing i found that works is cammomile tea. now it isnt d niceset but a bit of cinnamon and honey n its ok. the way it is drank is also important. you must clear you mind, breathe in and take a sip, swallow and exhale. i also recommend 2tea bags a cup. i passed this info onto many friends n so far 100 per cent success. i also got rid of d tv in my bedroom as its too easy to get sucked into watching late into the nyt. plus your mind needs to associate d bedroom wit sleep (or the other thing if your lucky) so dont study or work or spend long sessions in your room before going to sleep. if u have no choice get a screen n separate sleeping area from relaxing area.
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had any trouble getting to sleep since Thursday, probably because I had a 4 day weekend (Good Friday - Easter Mon) and I relaxed my brains out!!! Back in work tomorrow, so I'll see how tonight's sleeping goes!

I'm hoping its not all 'work stress' related....

Advertisement