Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the economic stimulus?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 11:00am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thats the second budget in a row where nothing was offered in terms of stimuli for economic recovery. It seems to me that the government is trying to catch sand. Sure they may get a handful but its only going to slip through their hands.

There was mention of incentives for investment in IP but that had many of us scratching our heads.

Corporation tax remained unchanged.

Any views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

There was a grant scheme for providing home insulation announced in the last budget in October to stimulate the construction/home maitenance market.

Mabey they feel the reform to stamp duty announced would also be a stimulus?

I'm not going to pretend I know what their policy is.
    But mabey they think if the banks feel comfortable and able to lend credit again this would in itself be the stimulus the economy needs.
    That could be why they put so much money into them?

Its my opinion that in a global downturn its government policy that is necessary to stimulate the economy.
    The government will have to borrow heavily to capitalise the banks, they probably cant afford to borrow more to do anything else!

Advertisement