Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 3G and Skype

Options
  • 08-04-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Can anyone shine some light on why I cant use Skype over 3G? It works on the iphone on Wifi but not 3G.

Is this an attempt by O2 to restrict us getting cheaper calls, hence not lining their pockets. I know that Skype uses a considerable amount of bandwidth. Surely this cant justify them blocking it.

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think I recall reading in another thread that Skype is restricted by the networks to keep iPhone users from making calls outside the scope of their billing system. Apple are in bed with the networks, so facilitate the restriction by way of sanctioning a wi-fi only version of Skype.

There's a jailbroken version of Skype, but last I heard it didn't work too hot on 3G either.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Can anyone shine some light on why I cant use Skype over 3G? It works on the iphone on Wifi but not 3G.

Is this an attempt by O2 to restrict us getting cheaper calls, hence not lining their pockets. I know that Skype uses a considerable amount of bandwidth. Surely this cant justify them blocking it.

I think that Skype over 3G will be allowed though in the next software release 3.0, due at the start of June (ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's nothing to do with O2 specifically. The iPhone itself won't let you do this; I imagine it was Apple's agreement with the networks. Many US networks have plans which give users unlimited data. And Skype is primarily used for international calls, so to allow international calls using VoIP through your unlimited data plan, the operators are losing out big time. You can understand why they'd want to block it.

I'm not 100% sure if it's the API itself which blocks outgoing calls over 3G or if it's a requirement that it's not allowed in order to be listed in the App Store.

Either way it's very very unlikely that this will be available in the 3.0 firmware unless someone takes a case against this as an anti-competitive measure and wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Check out the JellySMS post :)http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=45863#post45863. Only available to developers at the moment. Will it make it into the public release of 3.0? - We'll have to wait and see

skype_iphone.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Yes. works well for me over 3G. I even made some calls over EDGE (good coverage). Lets hope Apple don't pull this from the final release of 3.0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

very easy to overcome this problem.

1. Download skype from appstore

2. jailbreak phone, and download ''voipover3g' from Cydia, free,

you can now make calls over 3g no problem

Advertisement