Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/American citizenship

Options
  • 08-04-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,
    Just recently found out that my grandmother was born and raised in New York before she moved to Ireland,Does this mean i can claim American citizenship.I'm really in the dark on this and i have looked on the net and not found any answers,Can anyone help me please!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

thegunshow wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just recently found out that my grandmother was born and raised in New York before she moved to Ireland,Does this mean i can claim American citizenship.I'm really in the dark on this and i have looked on the net and not found any answers,Can anyone help me please!!!

Unfortunately not it must be an immediate family member i.e mother or father. If you have a US Grandparent one of your parents must also be an American to be eligible.

Click Here

For quicker info call the US Embassy in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Teh Russ

If your parent from your grandmother was to claim US citizenship first, you would then qualify. The only downside of that is, as a US citizen, you have to pay US taxes wherever you are in the world! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Teh Russ wrote: »
    The only downside of that is, as a US citizen, you have to pay US taxes wherever you are in the world! :confused:

The only way that's true is if:

1) You make lots of money (somewhere north of $80K for a single person or combined $160K for a couple)

AND

2) the place where you live has lower income taxes than the US. In that case, I think the IRS asks for you to make up the difference of what you would have paid living in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

A similar sort of question and thought theres no point starting a new thread so OP hope you don't mind.

My wifes Dad was born in Pennsylvania and has US citizenship, my question is is my wife entitled to apply for US citizenship also ? Is there any restrictions in place i.e Does it have to claimed by a certain age or anything like that ?

It's not really for our benefit that I'd like to claim citizenship but more so for our daughter. Gives her more options for her future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chiarrai1

I have a query myself and quite frankly don't have a clue:

I am 19 years old, my father is an american citizen who lived in the states for 2 yrs when he was born, his mother (my grandmother) is an american citizen who lived there for 15 yrs.

Any lhelp would be hugely appreciated!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If you have a parent who is/was a citizen then you are entitled to citizenship. Call the embassy .

If you have a parent who is/was a citizen then you are entitled to citizenship. Call the embassy

Is it really that simple ? In theory so my wife (Who's Dad was born over there) can claim citizenship, and in turn my daughter can claim same in a couple of years time, ya ? I tried calling the Embassy, was directed to their website !!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Teh Russ wrote: »
    If your parent from your grandmother was to claim US citizenship first, you would then qualify. The only downside of that is, as a US citizen, you have to pay US taxes wherever you are in the world! :confused:

lol or wot they will send an IRS agent to track you down ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Is it really that simple ? In theory so my wife (Who's Dad was born over there) can claim citizenship, and in turn my daughter can claim same in a couple of years time, ya ? I tried calling the Embassy, was directed to their website !!

Not in theory, in practise. Yes your wife can. Your wife can then claim for your daughter on her behalf. She will need birthcerts, deathcerts [if applicable] and marriage certs [if applicable.] Call the embassy again, tell them you want to bring in the documents and ask for an appointment. Get the application off the website and look at it.

And finally can i claim it once my wife has gained citizenship ? I could find myself being left behind by the 2 women in my life !!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

As mentioned earlier in this thread, be sure to check how acquiring US citizenship will affect your tax status, especially if you end up maintaining dual citizenship (Ireland and USA). Speaking from experience, your tax situation will become more complex with dual citizenship, and can change overtime with the changes in USA legislation and administrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

hmmm, my uncle is a U.S citizen...

apparently i can only claim if it's an immediate family member...

if my mother claims through him... then i can claim through her... correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

bacon? wrote: »
    hmmm, my uncle is a U.S citizen...
    apparently i can only claim if it's an immediate family member...
    if my mother claims through him... then i can claim through her... correct?

Yes and no. You cannot just claim US citizenship while living abroad, unless you are the child of a US citizen and in his/ her legal custody when born.

For your plan to work, your uncle would need to petition your mother (his sister) to come to the USA as a green card holder. After she moves to the USA, she can apply for you to join her as her son. Once you get the visa (it will take several years if you are over 21, longer if you are married), you can move to the USA and apply for citizenship 5 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

silja wrote: »
    Yes and no. You cannot just claim US citizenship while living abroad, unless you are the child of a US citizen and in his/ her legal custody when born.

For your plan to work, your uncle would need to petition your mother (his sister) to come to the USA as a green card holder. After she moves to the USA, she can apply for you to join her as her son. Once you get the visa (it will take several years if you are over 21, longer if you are married), you can move to the USA and apply for citizenship 5 years later.

dam, so i can't just fill out some forms online and have it by friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cailinmaith

Can I deduce from above discussion that it would be worth my while to get Dad to apply for citizenship as his mother was born in US? We have the documentation to prove that, however, my granny has died so would that make the application invalid? And if Dad applies, and actually gets it, could I then apply?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

lol or wot they will send an IRS agent to track you down ?

Yes, they will. The US Internal Revenue Service has treaties/recipocral agreements with most countries, even places the US state department isnt welcome. The US takes its tax collection very seriously.

SO it doesnt take much computer time to do some cross checking and if you owe them money they will get it.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, be sure to check how acquiring US citizenship will affect your tax status, especially if you end up maintaining dual citizenship (Ireland and USA). Speaking from experience, your tax situation will become more complex with dual citizenship, and can change overtime with the changes in USA legislation and administrations.

yes. its a serious mistake to underestimate the reach of the IRS.

I've been in the US for almost 15 years and am entitled to a US passport but I've held off simpley because of the Tax situation and that was because of an inheritance in Ireland that the americans could have got their hands on.

If you're entitled to a US passport and plan on living there then by all means go get it. But if its on a whim or to make holiday travel a little easier once in awhile then at least consult an acountant first.

Can I deduce from above discussion that it would be worth my while to get Dad to apply for citizenship as his mother was born in US? We have the documentation to prove that, however, my granny has died so would that make the application invalid? And if Dad applies, and actually gets it, could I then apply?

Thanks

How long was your granny in the USA? Has your dad ever lived in the USA? A child of a US citizen is only entitled to claim citizenship if the US parent has lived in the USA for at least 5 years, 3 of which have to be after the age of 14.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The US takes its tax collection very seriously.
    Indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cailinmaith

Boo! My granny came home to Ireland at the age of seven and never went back. So that's that then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, I have the same problem. My grandad was born in the states but had to leave when he was a kid (great grandad had a hatred of cops and went on a bit of a spree. Ended up being deported)
    Grandad also renounced his citizenship so he wouldn't have to fight with the Americans in WWII. Instead he spent the war guarding sites with the Irish LDF.

Looked into getting citizenship myself at one point only to find out that as my aul fella never worked in the States I had no chance. Grandad's abjuration didn't help matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

InTheTrees wrote: »
    yes. its a serious mistake to underestimate the reach of the IRS.

I've been in the US for almost 15 years and am entitled to a US passport but I've held off simpley because of the Tax situation and that was because of an inheritance in Ireland that the americans could have got their hands on.

If you're entitled to a US passport and plan on living there then by all means go get it. But if its on a whim or to make holiday travel a little easier once in awhile then at least consult an acountant first.

Some very insightful knowledge there InTheTrees.

Care to give us some info on how far the IRS can reach? I once met an US Oil Engineer in Bangladesh who claimed they could revoke his passport (and therefore his identity) if he didn't play their tune....

As far as I know they have recripocal arrangements with tax authorities around the world, even Switzerland is on board now.

You may get away with just not filing, but you'd be taking a risk and the penalties they charge are severe, a few thousand owed to them and not paid can turn into tens of thousands over a few years. They don't go for jail time with us small fry they just add more and more to what you owe.

And they're one of very few countries that claim a share of a citizens income even when they don't live there. That's the creepy part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

silja wrote: »
    A child of a US citizen is only entitled to claim citizenship if the US parent has lived in the USA for at least 5 years, 3 of which have to be after the age of 14.

I know a girl who is currently pregnant...in fact probably due to have the baby anyday now.
    She is illegal...but well....how does that work paperwork wise.
    I've heard hospitals can't refuse you treatment if you refuse to give details but have the money to pay for the treatment.

I knew a couple who were in America for 8 years illegal, they had a baby and only came home to Ireland when the kid was about 3 or 4.
    For them to fly the kid must have had a passport...an American one?

It's all messy either way!

RATM: Not sure about the IRS, but I know a US citizen who is way behind on his child support, and they tok his passport away, so he cannot travel oput of the country until he is current.

Toni: a baby born on US soil is an automatic US citizen. However, that does not entitle the mother to stay, should the authorities find her- they will deport her and give her the option of bringing the child with her or leave it with legal family in the USA or foster care. Hosptials cannot refuse you emergency care (ie if she shows up there in labour), but once she is delivered I believe they can kick her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

my late mother was born and raised in America and came to live in Ireland when she was 17. should i have any difficulties in getting American citizenship. would there be any advantages of getting it. what kind of documents would be required to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Bit of a twist on the "if my parent is a US citizen can I claim citizenship"- My parent is an American citizen but I am adopted. IE I am Irish & was adopted by an Irish family, my birth mother is also Irish but living in US most of her life & is a US citizen. Am I entitled to US citizenship? Or does the fact that she is not my legal guardian matter. (By the way I am an adult)

Bit of a twist on the "if my parent is a US citizen can I claim citizenship"- My parent is an American citizen but I am adopted. IE I am Irish & was adopted by an Irish family, my birth mother is also Irish but living in US most of her life & is a US citizen. Am I entitled to US citizenship? Or does the fact that she is not my legal guardian matter. (By the way I am an adult)

I'm no expert and i'm guessing but I'd say yes, you're entitled.

Also I dont think you can have a legal guardian if yu're an adult can you?

whocares86 wrote: »
    my late mother was born and raised in America and came to live in Ireland when she was 17. should i have any difficulties in getting American citizenship. would there be any advantages of getting it. what kind of documents would be required to get it

You'd need her birth certificate certainly.

As for advantages... you cant go and live there without it so thats one.

If you dont plan on living there i'd say its less of an advantage and possibly a liability because as I said above they will want you to pay taxes even if you dont live there and even if you pay taxes elsewhere. Its worth investigating anyway.

• Advertisement

whocares86: You probably are entitled to citizenship, though it depends on when your mother and you were born, as the law has changed several times.

Swagger: you are probably not entitled to citizenship, as your USC biological parent gave up all parental rights/ ties to you when adopted. Ie for the purposes of law and immigration, you are the child of your adopted- Irish- parents and your biological mom doesn't count.

Both of you: have a read of the official info here:
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8554a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8554a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Advertisement