Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/American citizenship

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billyburg

i don't know if this had already been answered sorry but here goes. my mam was born in the US and holds a US passport, her dad (my granddad) was born in the US and his parents (my great grandparents) became naturalized citizens and all held passports. i've read from here that my mam needed to stay fives years, two after i was 14 but she only lived there until she was 4. i really want to get a passport or even an immigrant visa because i want to move over after college without needing a short term visa or sponsorship. is there anyway around the requirements since theres a line of citizens within my family or anything? cheers for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

billyburg wrote: »
    i don't know if this had already been answered sorry but here goes. my mam was born in the US and holds a US passport, her dad (my granddad) was born in the US and his parents (my great grandparents) became naturalized citizens and all held passports. i've read from here that my mam needed to stay fives years, two after i was 14 but she only lived there until she was 4. i really want to get a passport or even an immigrant visa because i want to move over after college without needing a short term visa or sponsorship. is there anyway around the requirements since theres a line of citizens within my family or anything? cheers for any help!

The only way would be if your mom moved to the USA. She can then petition you for a visa/ greencard. It would take about 3.5 years if you remain unmarried, 8.5 years if you marry in the meantime. Once you have the visa, your mother could return to Ireland if she wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

silja wrote: »
    whocares86: You probably are entitled to citizenship, though it depends on when your mother and you were born, as the law has changed several times.

Both of you: have a read of the official info here:
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8554a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8554a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

She was born in the 30's , i was born in the 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

The taxation issue isn't that big of a deal unless you earn a lot.
    All I have to do is file a US Federal Tax return each year, but I don't actually pay anything as my Irish income is excluded since I've already paid tax on it in Ireland(I file the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion form). However, US tax laws are rather difficult and you'll need a professional or professional software to start out if you do decide to go ahead with it.
    I'd say go ahead an apply if you have serious intentions to live there someday or for your kids' sake perhaps, but if it's only a whim it may not be worth the trouble.
    Definitely don't underestimate the IRS.
    Also, for anyone looking to get citizenship not through parents I believe you have to take an exam after living in the US on a Green Card for 5 years? (and even though it's my history, I probably couldn't correctly answer most of the questions on it! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

thegunshow wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just recently found out that my grandmother was born and raised in New York before she moved to Ireland,Does this mean i can claim American citizenship.I'm really in the dark on this and i have looked on the net and not found any answers,Can anyone help me please!!!

your best bet would be calling into an embassy/consulate of the US. Have you already done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 snorkleberry

The only way that's true is if:

1) You make lots of money (somewhere north of $80K for a single person or combined $160K for a couple)

AND

2) the place where you live has lower income taxes than the US. In that case, I think the IRS asks for you to make up the difference of what you would have paid living in the US

Well the above two are true for many people.

Also, you are supposed to file an income tax return proving that you don't owe any money due to (1) and (2), which involves time and hassle, and could involve the further hassle of a tax audit to prove (1) and/or (2) are true.

Note that if your tax return is complex, i.e., business owner, when you do the American returns, you have to apply American rules for deductions, depreciation, etc. Juggling the rules of two countries when doing one's taxes are a big hassle. Also one's assertion that one makes less than the required amount and/or that the American taxes would be lower depends on one's interpretation of the rules. Be prepared for audits from two different systems. No fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Also, you are supposed to file an income tax return proving that you don't owe any money due to (1) and (2), which involves time and hassle, and could involve the further hassle of a tax audit to prove (1) and/or (2) are true.

Is there a penalty for not filing a US return even if you dont owe money?

Those IRS "penalties" are horrible. They can grow exponentially and quickly and dont follow the normal rules about charging interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Hay guys I had a US green card and it expired in 2004 I left the states with my parents in and around 1997 at age 7 Im now 20, Im wondering is it possible for me to renew my green card if I wanted to move back or would I have to apply for a green card all over again any info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Hay guys I had a US green card and it expired in 2004 I left the states with my parents in and around 1997 at age 7 Im now 20, Im wondering is it possible for me to renew my green card if I wanted to move back or would I have to apply for a green card all over again any info would be great

No way to renew it, sorry. You would need to apply via the lottery like anyone else, unless you have close family who are US citizens and live in the USA.

Advertisement