Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenihan: out of touch, out of his mind

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Did anyone listen to iPat Kenny this morning? Lenihan was on air trying to explain to us all that these tax levy increases and his vicious attack on children's care allowance was a necessary evil, in order to reclaim some revenue for the country's well-being.

Yes.

He lives on a different f*&king planet, that man. He needs to be honest with the public and confess to contributing honest hardworking people's money towards a cabal of money-pilfering fat cats protected by self-interested regulations. I mean FFS property developers are able to claim back tax on losses on land, yet ordinary Joe Soap cannot afford childcare??? Lenihan uses our money to buy a sick, twisted and corrupt bank, then claims we have no money???

What, the HELL, is going on here? Why haven't we risen up against this club of buffoons, and shown them what Irish pride really is? How long will we wait...how much more will we allow them to take...before we stand up and declare: "No, we will no longer support criminals who use fear-propoganda to steal the money out of our pockets and lodge it in their own piggybanks!"?

I am tired of this. Pat Kenny clearly was. People were practically crying on the phone---and they were the moderately well-off (despite their protestations, 60k a year is not bad).

I have a son. I'm on 29k a year. My commission might as well not exist. My ex chose not to work, and now her child care is disappearing. My child support payments are already crippling. I cannot afford my own place. I live at home. And this little sh!t comes onto the radio and says there's no other way to rejuvenate the country's finances.

Isn't there? Close the tax loopholes. Quit ignoring Joan Burton's financial qualifications and sound advice; listen to her. Take heed of your peers' clearly superior knowledge and wisdom, and do what's right for our country.

Or else (I hope) the people will oust you.

Sensationalism at it's utter finest. Congratulations. Things had to be done. This economy isn't going to be saved by making popular, nice decisions. It's going to be saved with hard ones. Build a bridge and get over it. We're all suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

One of the problems here now arises from the fact that he's just gone ahead and made the income levy permanent.

I had no problem whatsoever doing my bit to bail out the country. 1% or 2% or even 4% for a year or two was acceptable. The fact that this now going to be a permanent feature is a death blow.

Everyone knows that taxes are never repealed, yet we accepted a 1% increase without a word.

From my point of view, i educated myself, i upskilled, i thought i became the best in my field. I also paid the financial cost to do this, with the intention that it would all pay itself back eventually. I still haven't paid this off. The loans are still there. I do my utmost to pay them every month....and now i find another 200-300 euro a month taken out of my pay packet.

All the time, effort and cost invested in myself to deliver value to this country is gone down the drain.

The minister and the government may think that "those who can afford to pay should pay" is a fair assessment, but when you consider that last week i had 2000 euro at the end of this year for a holiday or xmas and that i now will be in negative figures, it places a whole different perspective on things.

Does this mean that i don't have anything to live for this year???

With the Greens coming to power we had yet more taxes. And now they seem to be further taxing all the diesel drivers too...especially those who made the effort to switch to the greener diesel option. ...... or am i just out of my mind here???

Sensationalism: I never, ever, spent 200-300 euro a month on even holidays over the past 10 years. That's my grocery budget for the month, Yet that's whats being taken away. It's money i dont have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Fair enough, Comrade Lenin-ihan constructed a very poor budget but those callers were far more out of touch with reality. Six months of conditioning and many of the populace still don't understand :rolleyes:

Advertisement