Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire verdict on Star Trek

Options
  • 08-04-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=134061

Verdict
    Odd-number curse be gone. The most exhilarating Trek to date marks a new future for Kirk and co. If this can boldly go on to seek out ideas to match its speed and style, a franchise is reborn.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

must resist will to read review with potential plot spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

must resist will to read review with potential plot spoilers

I'm the same... haven't read the review. But the verdict is a ray of sunshine in one dank, depressing week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Couldn't help myself :)

The review doesn't have much of what I'd call 'spoliers' - but it does, in passing, answer a few of the "will they / won't they be showing X" questions I would have had.

Even less (i.e. none) spoliers in this summation but I'll spoiler tag it anyway :

The good :
    very exciting, "warp 9" pace, good characters and well capable actors (McCoy and Spock stand out apparently - and there's no qualms with Kirk either), it's young, fresh and relevant while not being too 'MTV' and still being Star Trek.

The bad :
    due partly to the pace of the film, there is less of the 'science' / thinking going on. Doesn't sound like they're going exploring the mysteries of the universe in this one.

BTW... Leonard Nimoy showed up to introduce a screening of STII : Wrath of Khan in Taxes on Monday... But he switched it for the new film instead :)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7989146.stm ....how fraking awesome would that be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Goodshape wrote: »
    BTW... Leonard Nimoy showed up to introduce a screening of STII : Wrath of Khan in Taxes on Monday... But he switched it for the new film instead :)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7989146.stm ....how fraking awesome would that be!

BASTARDS!!!!
    I am so fawking jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

you mentioned "the bad", you spoiled it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

quad_red wrote: »
    I'm the same... haven't read the review. But the verdict is a ray of sunshine in one dank, depressing week!

No real spoilers in the review. I've just taken the risk and read it. How I'm going to last a month resisting learning the entire plot..:eek: Getting so excited about this movie!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

DesignLady wrote: »
    No real spoilers in the review. I've just taken the risk and read it. How I'm going to last a month resisting learning the entire plot..:eek: Getting so excited about this movie!!!!!

I remember trying to avoid anything to do with LOTR: Return of the King (alright, I knew the plot but did not want to see anything till the big screen)

It took all of my will power to leave cinemas if the trailer came on, turn channel on telly etc. It can be done, it will be done

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

The ships named Enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Off to see it tomorrow in London, as the missus won a competion in the Irish Times to goto the premiere :)

And yep, I'm well aware this is just a blatant brag post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Argh why did I read that!!!

You've gone and ruined it for me now :(

heehee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Ronan wrote: »
    Off to see it tomorrow in London, as the missus won a competion in the Irish Times to goto the premiere :)

And yep, I'm well aware this is just a blatant brag post!

I entered that competition several times with a few email addresses. So Jealous! I used to love just going to people watch at London movie premieres when I lived there

Have a fantastic time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

KHAAAANNNNN!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Kiith wrote: »
    KHAAAANNNNN!!!!

Yes?

Advertisement