Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Upgrade Eligibility

• 08-04-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

im on the last day of my contract with vodafone now and phoned them up enquiring about getting an upgrade...i was told to wait until my final billing period (another week from now) and i can check online then..felt i was not getting the whole story from rep and they were just tellin me wat i wanted to hear

the thing is from what ive read here on boards and elsewhere on the net, it seems it wrong to expect an upgrade for def in the first place as there are alot of different factors in place to qulaify for one in the first place..the rules seems to change in all the the other threads ive read about this

can any1 whose had past experiences upgrading their handsets recently this way let me know how they got on?? and also their exps good or bad involving the vodafone upgrade process?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Yeah - from what i know it depends on a whole mess o stuff... and it's gotten stricter of late cos of the whole economic buggery at the mo.
    for starters, if you finish and 18 month contract with vodafone, you're guaranteed an upgrade... not so with a 12 month.
    Also, they'll factor in how much you spend each month and how long you've been with them versus the number of upgrades you've had so far...
    if you make a bit of a fuss you usually get something - even if it's just a bit of credit on your account - tho i found that being nicer can really pay off... otherwise they stop caring and switch to "i said no" mode :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

If worse comes to worse a friend of mine switched to Prepay, waited a few weeks and switched back to Bill - same as upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

ya cheers i may do..pity its has to take a couple weeks to swing that but i guess at the mo its my best option..

just annoyed the vodafone reps made it sound like i would def get an upgrade come the end of the contract..half tinking of porting somewhere else but vodafone tell me i have to give 4 weeks written notice or be charged another month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

buddy wrote: »
    If worse comes to worse a friend of mine switched to Prepay, waited a few weeks and switched back to Bill - same as upgrade.

Not the case. The network would regard this as reactivating an account. I think they wait about six months before they would allow you to move back on to bill pay AND avail of a phone. Otherwise everyone not eligible for an upgrade would do just this.

OP.....port to another network if you want a good phone cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Vodafone have become very tight with upgrades and unless you have spent a serious amount in the last 12 months (over €1200) they will not give you an upgrade.
    Easiest way around this is to hop network every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Vodafone have become very tight with upgrades and unless you have spent a serious amount in the last 12 months (over €1200) they will not give you an upgrade.
    Easiest way around this is to hop network every year.

Ya all networks have tightened their belts, it's not a case of length of service anymore, you have to reach the certain criteria. O2 used to be 800euro to get a gold but have increased to 1200euro. Automatically get a Silver upgrade after 18months which is worth diddly squate. Like Daniel Craig said best thing to do is to hop network once you have reached your 12month. Plenty of deals on every network and get the phone cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Not the case. The network would regard this as reactivating an account. I think they wait about six months before they would allow you to move back on to bill pay AND avail of a phone. Otherwise everyone not eligible for an upgrade would do just this.

OP.....port to another network if you want a good phone cheap.

I dunno actually... if you did it online, I can't imagine there'd be a problem... (there's an option to buy a phone and move from prepay to billpay at the same time - same order so one won't happen without the other...) - think that might put you on a new account too... not really 100%, but i guess it couldn't hurt to try??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    O2 used to be 800euro to get a gold but have increased to 1200euro. Automatically get a Silver upgrade after 18months which is worth diddly squate.

Completely wrong information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

thanks for all the info guys..

phoned vodafone today again and told same thing, im dont qualify for upgrade..i said if they couldnt provide me with one today id prob port and afer puttin me on hold for bout 5mins, i was told i now qualify..

ordered upgrade today...very unexpected to be honest but vodafone rep was sound out and as heplful as you can get...well happy with overall resolution

Advertisement