Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skill Migration Visa

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Has anyone applied for the Skill Migration Visa? Can you tell me the steps I need to go through to do this?

Thanks,
    Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Hi there,

We have completed the skill migration visa and are now living in OZ, the first port of call you should check is www.liveinaustralia.com.

we found the website very help. and their advice is excellent.

Good luck.
    Regards
    silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi,

Has anyone applied for the Skill Migration Visa? Can you tell me the steps I need to go through to do this?

Thanks,
    Anthony

The route you take depends on your skills or links to Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Have just passed the Expression of Interest stage here for NZ so being sent out the visa application pack, now the fun really starts. Not cheap either but eventually we'll get it done. Doesn't help when we came back to unemployment either!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

majiktripp wrote: »
    Have just passed the Expression of Interest stage here for NZ so being sent out the visa application pack, now the fun really starts. Not cheap either but eventually we'll get it done. Doesn't help when we came back to unemployment either!

Good luck with your application. It will be worth all the effort.

Regards
    Silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

silverski wrote: »
    Hi there,

We have completed the skill migration visa and are now living in OZ, the first port of call you should check is www.liveinaustralia.com.

we found the website very help. and their advice is excellent.

Good luck.
    Regards
    silverski

Hi Silverski,

The website liveinaustralia.com appears to be a migration agent? My partner and I have previously done the WHV visa and are considering the Skilled Migrant visa.

Do you have any idea of the cost?

Thanks,
    Phil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Phillipm,

We applied in Aug 08 and are still waiting for a 175 (skilled permanent visa). We started out in Apr 08 getting skills assessed and took us to Aug to get the rest of the papers together. We paid €300 to have oh skills assessed, approx €4,000 for visa and agent fees, €600 for medicals so thats just under €5000 and we still don't have the bloody visa. We were on a CSL list (priority processing) but were taken off it a few weeks ago so we've basically been told "tie yourself to a state or wait" we are waiting because we are not sure where we want to go. Oh is a carpenter and the work has dried up over there - check out www.britishexpats.com or www.pomsinoz.com for forums specific to relocating. We used an agent in Kildare who was very helpful - pm if you would like the details.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Hi Hells B,

Thank you for the info it is much appreciated. If you get a chance could you please PM me the details of the agent in Kildare you used?

Thanks again and please keep me updated on your progress.

Thanks,
    Philip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

If you have an occupation on the Critcial Skills List (http://www.acacia-au.com/csl.php) then you do not need an agent. Save your money. The process is relatively simple and you will have plenty of time between each stage.

Yes some say its easy to do on your own - ours wasn't a straight forward case so we chose to go with an agent - she was worth her weight in gold to be honest. If you are good at paperwork by all means try on your own, it would save you around €700 ish. The Australian Govt is www.immi.gov.au Phillip I'll pm you now.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

seriously considering it, but am caught between a rock and a hard place.

I turn 35 in July so i loose points coz i'm an old fart
    . I'll also probably have to do the english test for teh extra points, coz even though i work in IT i dont have any real certification, but will have a BSc (Hons) in Business & IT by teh time my birthday comes around.

are the agents expensive? i was on to Liz O'hagans office today.

• Advertisement

Hi Dade,

I used Liz and I found her great, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post names....anyway the whole shabang is costing us around €5000 for the visa, thats a perm residency 175. I'm not sure what the other visa classes cost but the immi website has a breakdown. Liz should ring you back and give you an appraisal over the phone, she won't take anyone on who doesn't qualify but she knows the ins and outs so she should have some suggestions for you.

From the other sites there seems to be a problem with techies getting jobs in Australia - the main reason seems to be an over supply - a lot of the Indian applicants are doing IT however I think some IT may be on the CSL so you wouldn't be waiting that long for your visa if you are on that list. If you have your application in by July you won't loose the points but you have to have a certain amount of time put in on the job for the skills assessment - on ours it was 6 out of the last 12 months or 12 out of the last 24 (oh is a chippy) along with your qualifications.

Hope that helps
    HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

yeah i was thinking of teh 175 visa. I don't have any of the specilist IT skills like Cisp or Linux that are listed.

but i did just have a brain fart. My mother's brother in law's (my uncle) sister has lived there for years if i remember. she' sbeen there for as long as i can remember. would this be too distant a relationship?

Hi Dade,

Found this on the web:

To be sponsored by a relative, your relative must live in Australia* and be either:
    • an Australian citizen;
    • an Australian permanent resident; or
    • an eligible New Zealand citizen.
    You or your spouse must be related to your sponsor as either:
    • a non-dependent child - including a natural, adoptive or step-child;
    • a parent - including adoptive or step-parent;
    • a brother or sister - including adoptive or step-siblings;
    • a niece or nephew - including adoptive or step-niece or nephew; or
    • an aunt or uncle - including adoptive or step-aunt or uncle.
    * If your relative lives in Sydney, Gosford, Newcastle or Wollongong, you must meet additional requirements.

Not sure if your mothers brother in laws sister would qualify lol, are you on any of the state sponsorship lists? Here are the links, if they don't work I got them on www.britishexpats.com :

NT: http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/docum...rtage_List.pdf

WA: http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media...NUARY_2009.pdf

Victoria: http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...igibility-List

NSW: http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/migra...ia_Finance.pdf

SA: http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/centr...tate_spons.jsp

ACT: http://www.business.act.gov.au/skill..._november_2006

QLD: http://www.workliveplay.qld.gov.au/d...nt.cfm?id=3704

Lots of stuff to go through so maybe it would be worth your while to call an agent. They should know most of that off the top of their heads. Are you going with a partner and would they have the necessary skills?

HB

Advertisement