Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesa Boogie Bass amps and Ampeg SVT Classics

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone here has much experience with any of the Mesa Boogie bass heads? Any use at all?

Also, keen to hear peoples feedback on the Ampeg SVT Classic head - I'm thinking of looking for another bass head (currently have an old SVT II) and while I'd love a Vintage SVT there are not many about. Anyone have any tips on what might give a similar sound?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'd steer clear of the latest Ampegs if I were you. They're made in China and the quality control hasn't been great from what I've heard. Prior to that they were made in Viet Nam and it was sketchy also.

If you want one it's best to pick up a used one thats a few years old and was made in the US.

As for Mesa, a good one to check out would be the 400+, it's all tube 500watts. They're discontinued now but you could get one used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richard.power

Cheers Dord,

Thats pretty much what I would have thought alright - I can't think of an amp that I am happy to buy new at this stage. Definitely think vintage is the way to go.

I keep an eye on the second hand market, particularly for an SVT 1, but have noticed that decent pieces are few and far between at the moment.

Well, I don't think vintage (Serious €€€).. I think just used would be good. Maybe get an early 00's or 90's one or something. :confused:

What type of tone are you looking for? any bassists who have the sound you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richard.power

I play with a lot of mid and good bit of treble. I recorded through a vintage SVT and 8 x 10 and got a really nice distorted sound that really cuts through(well I think its nice - most sound guys disagree with me!)

To be honest my current setup of SVT II, 4 x 10 and 1 x 18" does a pretty similar job but given the amount that I am gigging and the increasingly fragile state of my SVT II, I'd like another option!

I play with a lot of mid and good bit of treble. I recorded through a vintage SVT and 8 x 10 and got a really nice distorted sound that really cuts through(well I think its nice - most sound guys disagree with me!)

To be honest my current setup of SVT II, 4 x 10 and 1 x 18" does a pretty similar job but given the amount that I am gigging and the increasingly fragile state of my SVT II, I'd like another option!

Hmm... Well if the SVT II works then thats good. What might be a good idea is to get it serviced and checked out. Hopefully it's ok but it wouldn't hurt to have a checkout.

Then, to buy another head as a backup for your SVTII or for an alternative tone if you need it.... provided you don't need to sell your SVT II to fund it, otherwise thats out the window.

Now, what I would recommend is something small that can still give you a bit of grit if you need it. I currently use a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 which has a tube preamp. Its extremely small and light yet can put out 600w! :eek:

Here's a picture... as I said its something to consider that you could bring along as a backup and would barely notice the extra size or weight.

shuttle-3.jpg

Thats it in its little bag sitting on the arm of my couch.

:)

I'm not selling mine so don't even think about asking! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 RickyRadar

Hi Just popped in. I have used Mesa 400+. Couple of problems to note. Be prepared to replace lots of valves( you must replace in biased pairs). After a gig , the chassis stays hot for hours. This makes the valve filaments suspect to shock damage. The main power switch has tendency to arch or spark when powered on due to the massive current it draws.Sometimes you cant power up as the switch burns out. Nasty at gig. Be prepared to see lights dim when powered up. You must do plenty of weight training or have strong roadie. Heavy Bast---,Great when working.Sold mine years ago and recently discovered a stock of replacement valves in my attic. Genz Benz brilliant. Like the photo.Great portable sound machine. Have 2 , keeping one ,and have one for sale. Let me know if you are interested? Try before you buy. ```Eden WT Hybrid range is also amazing.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Gotta agree with this, we had one in the studio I worked in last. Thing sounded great but the amount of times it had broken down was crazy, theres like what 16 tubes in the thing and the fans have a tendancy to break down/not cool them enough resulting in tubes going bye bye.... I wouldnt use it for gigging unless you manage to get it modded somehow, if your gonna keep it at home though you can pick em up PRETTY cheap second hand and like i said, they sound GREAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mpkeire

quick question about the svt classic... how would you tell if it was american or not, where would it say on the head unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 basshead56

Hi all,
    Just sold my Mesa 400+ (to Rich actually)
    Am now looking to find an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    Trouble is, cant seem to find an American made one (tried everywhere)
    I really want one as the few times I´ve used it, I got exactly the tones I wanted out of it)
    I don´t know enough about the quality of any of the asian made ones at all, so not comfortable forking out the guts of grand on something I mighnt like or will cause me hassle.
    Anyone got any input on this at all?
    Was also looking at the 2 Pro and a few others from the Pro series, but definately not the 3 pro(need an amp with a min2ohm load).
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gotBass

hi all,
    a few years ago I imported an SVT CL mid 90s model
    Check with the american shops, I'm sure there are some real 2nd hand goodies available.
    amp cost me about €800, they should be cheaper now, just make sure to get serial number and then verify it's history using ampeg support or some other forum

by the time I was finished with shipping and duty, it came in at about €1150 - €1200
    it was in fab nick, apart from the very small scratch or 2. the valves were brand new.

The SVT-CL transformer from this era can be rewired very easily so that it can work directly from Irish mains electricity by the way. I did my own, after getting schematics from ampeg support. I took about 30 minutes to do.

anyway good luck in the hunt,
    great amps, very heavy, but class sound with virtually any cab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement