Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all

I hope to have my MCSA at the end of Arpil.

Im currently on Level 1 helpdesk and hope to

1 Move jobs
    2 Continue studying

Would it be a dangerous move to think of moving in the current climate.Id love a sys admin job but probably would need to go for desktop support role as too big a jump with current experience

Also I hope to continue studying after break for Summer or maybe study during the Summer depending on weather etc :)

What would be best courses to do maybe upgrade exams to 2008 or maybe hardware like CCNA etc

I really want a certificate that will help me to move to another role

Thanks
    Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Toshlad

Noel,

Here is my 1c worth of advice.

I have my MCSA, MCSE and CompTIA Security+ certs. I have over 20 years experience in the IT industry.

I was made redundant back in early Feb and getting a new job is proving very difficult.

My 1c of advice is get the new job and let them put you through the certification programme.

Another way is to show your current employer that you are worthy of promotion.

I hope this helps and if you you go for further certification I wish you good luck with that also.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

IMO the certs that are in demand are mainly Cisco, Juniper and Nortel/Cisco Voice Certs.
    I have an MCSA myself (and have almost completed the MCSE) - they don't hold much value unless you are working with servers on a larger scale.

I know IBM are looking for people with MCSA/E :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply

Will finish MCSA and then see how things are going

All the best,
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

CCNA is always worth having, particularly if you plan to work with networking.

Advertisement