Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF - The ANTI-family Party

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Examples of the effects of the budget here:

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009SupApri...%20changes.pdf

- 50K income for one income family with 2 kids under 5...they lose 5.2% (or €2500) this year because of the changes yesterday. (will be €3500 next year at least by the way when the rest of ECS goes, plus more again with changes to CA)

- 50K income for a one income family with NO kids ...they lose 3.8% (or €1500) this year because of the changes yesterday.

The ECS changes account for the difference.
    And that figure of 2500 is rubbish....much closer to 4000 than 2500!

They have basically screwed anyone with kids here. How exactly is this fair Mr Lenihan? Take nearly twice as much off the family with two kids to support as from a family with none?

FF are officially the ANTI-family party!

Isnt there constitutional mention of a special position for the family in Irish society?

That position in Fianna Fails opinion is quite obviously bent over taking one for the country!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

All I can say is wait for the upcoming local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You're not allowing for the year's free pre-school starting in January.

But yeah, losing the ECS is going to hit parents hard. It was never realistic as a long term measure though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well Ive just been onto the Dept Of Social Welfare.

After this round of tax cuts Im now entitled to a "supplement" under FIS.
    I never bothered with it before because I felt that I didnt need it since Im on an ok wage and it would have only been the minimum entitlement.

Now Im entitled to approx 80 euros per week.

It just goes to show that this shower cant do their sums.Theyre going to take 50 a week off me and give me back 80 :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Then once Im in the system so to speak Im entitled to other supplements.
    I dont want to take a handout but I honestly feel that Ive been shafted this time around so now Im going to claim every penny Im entitled to and I hope every other worker in the state does the same.

If I made a miscalculation like that Id be sacked like this lot should be.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Well Ive just been onto the Dept Of Social Welfare.

After this round of tax cuts Im now entitled to a "supplement" under FIS.
    I never bothered with it before because I felt that I didnt need it since Im on an ok wage and it would have only been the minimum entitlement.

Now Im entitled to approx 80 euros per week.

It just goes to show that this shower cant do their sums.Theyre going to take 50 a week off me and give me back 80 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If I made a miscalculation like that Id be sacked like this lot should be.

The ECS never counted towards family income for the FIS. So taking it away from people doesn't change who's eligible for the FIS.

nesf wrote: »
    The ECS never counted towards family income for the FIS. So taking it away from people doesn't change who's eligible for the FIS.

Im calculating it without the ECS.Im down 50 in my take home,FIS will give me 80 so Im going to be up 30 a week which easily covers the loss of ECS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Be fair , Bank Mangers have families too.

Im calculating it without the ECS.Im down 50 in my take home,FIS will give me 80 so Im going to be up 30 a week which easily covers the loss of ECS.

Would you have been entitled to the FIS before? You get 60% of the gap between your wages and the limit for your family size, so the 50 less will only give you an extra 30 euro.

Not much.Probably only the minimum allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You're not allowing for the year's free pre-school starting in January.

True...but my two kids are over two years away from qualifying for that so I am just going on what I lose right now and for the next couple of years...and I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the meantime anyway and is gone also by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ludo wrote: »
    - 50K income for one income family with 2 kids under 5...they lose 5.2%

- 50K income for a one income family with NO kids ...they lose 3.8%

FF are officially the ANTI-family party!

Wow, bit of a leap of logic on your part.
    By definition if they made any reduction whatsover in anything to do with childrens allowance or benefits, then anyone on a salary of X with kids is going to lose more than someone on a salary of X with no kids.

But that hardly makes them the ANTI-family party.

(No more so than increasing any childrens allowance/payment in previous budgets made them the PRO-family party back then)

• Advertisement

Would you have been entitled to the FIS before? You get 60% of the gap between your wages and the limit for your family size, so the 50 less will only give you an extra 30 euro.

Dont really want to quote my actual figures here but according to the phone call to them this morning thats what Im entitled to.Although I was told I should have claimed last year so the 80 is probably an accumulation of what I should have got last year + what Im now entitled to after these cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

By definition if they made any reduction whatsover in anything to do with childrens allowance or benefits, then anyone on a salary of X with kids is going to lose more than someone on a salary of X with no kids.

(No more so than increasing any childrens allowance/payment in previous budgets made them the PRO-family party back then)

Not really a leap at all...FF promised they would be as fair to all as possible. Yet people with 2 (or more) kids lose nearly twice as much as people with no kids on the same income? Does that strike you as fair in ANY way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Nope that was just a ploy to get FF back in power at election time along with cutting the tax rate!!

As bad as things are my self i have a few friends that are going to really suffer! For 5 mornings a week a playschool in G'Stones costs 450 a month! Thats a 4 week bases! Thats pushing kids in to school at 4 which is young i myself think 5 is a better time to start, Kids are a little bit more adjusted!

Dont really want to quote my actual figures here but according to the phone call to them this morning thats what Im entitled to.Although I was told I should have claimed last year so the 80 is probably an accumulation of what I should have got last year + what Im now entitled to after these cuts.

Well, to use generic figures, someone earning €400 a week after PAYE/PRSI with one child would be entitled to €60 from FIS. I don't have the patience to work out what €400 a week net pay is in gross terms but they'd essentially get 60% of whatever they lose to tax back through the FIS.

Details of the weekly income limits here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-to-families-and-children/family_income_supplement

Advertisement