Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona v FC Bayern München Q/Final 1st leg

• 08-04-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

All the facts and figures ahead of Barcelona's Champions League quarter-final clash with Bayern Munich at the Camp Nou.
    988e4bd1099cec1a11204a74faf1f88a.jpg
    Barcelona and Bayern are the joint top scorers in the competition with 24 goals apiece.

Miroslav Klose is the competition joint top scorer with seven goals.
    The German side have won three and drawn one of their four games against Barcelona in Europe and tasted victory on both visits to Spain.

Bayern have lost only two of their last 18 matches in the Champions League and only one of the last nine on the road.

Bayern have only won one and lost five of the last seven Champions League matches against Spanish opposition.

Barcelona have only kept one clean sheet in their last nine Champions League matches.

Barcelona have won 10 and drawn one of their last 11 Champions League matches against German opposition.

Barcelona's midfielder Xavi has supplied the most assists so far in the competition, five.

Of the teams remaining in the competition, Bayern have scored the most headed goals, four.

The Catalans have scored the most goals from outside the box in the competition, five.

Bayern have scored the most first half goals, 11, whereas Barcelona have scored the most in the second 45 minutes, 14.

Lucio, Van Buyten both missing in defence tonight as is top scorer Klose up front spells trouble for Bayern. 19 year old Brazilian Breno is expected to partner Demichelis which could be a big ask. Barca have no injuries to worry about. Ribery and Messi on show tonight which could make this a magnificent contest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Uefa Champions League, Quarter-final first leg
    Venue: Nou Camp Date: Wednesday, 8 April Kick-off: 1945 GMT
    Coverage: BBC Radio 5 Live updates with live text commentary on the BBC Sport website. Also live on Sky Sports Xtra

Barcelona duo Yaya Toure and Alexander Hleb are fit again after missing their win at Real Valladolid on Saturday but Eric Abidal and Gaby Milito remain out.

Lionel Messi and Daniel Alves, restricted to substitute appearances on Saturday, should start against Bayern.

Bayern have only two fit central defenders including 19-year-old Breno.

Lucio (groin) is out, Daniel van Buyten has returned to Belgium on a private matter, while striker Miroslav Klose (ankle) is also sidelined.

Bayern Munich boss Jurgen Klinsmann has been forced to call upon reserve-team youngster Holger Badstuber, 20, to make up the defensive numbers alongside Martin Demichelis and Breno.

Klinsmann told BBC Sport he was aware Barcelona were a "huge obstacle" that stands between his side and a place in the last four.

"We need a good result in Barcelona but then we will take them back to the Allianz Arena where there will be 70,000," he said.

"We want to see what level we are at but we go into the matches with a have a lot of confidence.

"This is a huge obstacle to winning the Champions League, but anything is possible."

The German side have won three and drawn one of their four games against Barcelona in Europe and have come out victorious on both of their previous visits to Spain.

The two sides go into the game in contrasting form, Barcelona recorded a 1-0 win over Real Valladolid after a strike from Samuel Eto'o, while Bayern went down 5-1 to Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga.

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola believes it is a bad time to play Bayern.

"League form has nothing to do with the Champions League, but in my opinion it is the worst possible result for us," Guardiola said.

"Bayern have won the European Cup four times and have won their domestic league many times, and it is now sure they will arrive with even greater motivation."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7986695.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think with half their defence gone, and Klose out, Bayern could have big problems in the Nou Camp. With two full strength teams I think it'd be close, but with the injuries Bayern have, I'd go 2-0 to Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I agree - I think that Barcelona are going to play Bayern right off the field. I know that Bayern slaughtered Sporting 12-1 in the previous round, but this is entirely different and there's been a relatively long period of time since then. Plus, Bayern aren't doing that great in the Bundesliga.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I honesntly think Bayerns height will cause serious problems for Barce's Defense.

Time and time again Pouyol has proved that he can't handle taller players and besides Marquez, who they play in midfeild more often than centre back, they aren't blessed with anyone who can dominate in the air.

Barce are favourites obviously, but Bayern aren't going to roll over.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I honesntly think Bayerns height will cause serious problems for Barce's Defense.

Time and time again Pouyol has proved that he can't handle taller players and besides Marquez, who they play in midfeild more often than centre back, they aren't blessed with anyone who can dominate in the air.

I get what your saying man but Bayern are mssing two CBs so they will have their own problems and Klose who is a big aerial threat is out injured.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

True, but Dimechalies is a good CB (better DMF but good CB) and the young brazilian has done ok this year when he's played.

Klose is the biggest lose but they have Luca Toni back from injury/suspension (cant remember which it was) and Podolski is also good in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think Barca to win tonight, but only 2-1. I reckon Bayern will score.

Hoping for a cracker anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is this game on Setanta Ireland?

Hopefully, otherwise I'm stuck with a chess tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yup, it is.

Des wrote: »
    Is this game on Setanta Ireland?

Hopefully, otherwise I'm stuck with a chess tournament.

Aye brother, Live: Barcelona v Bayern Munich
    Available in Ireland only. Live UEFA Champions League action from Camp Nou as Barcelona take on Bayern Munich. K.O. 7:45pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bayern will be without Lahm as well now. Will be hard for them without 3 of their main defenders.

Jesus are you serious ?

I dont give them a hope with three of their back four missing.

Damage control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does anyone else think Bayern are really over rated ? They are 4th in the Bundes Ligas at the moment. They have some great players, but I think they are anywhere near as good as the top teams from England, Italy or Spain.

Tusky wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Bayern are really over rated ? They are 4th in the Bundes Ligas at the moment. They have some great players, but I think they are anywhere near as good as the top teams from England, Italy or Spain.

They are a team with some top players capable of beating any of europe's elite on their day. Thats how I sum them up.

More team news just in is that Butt will be in goal instead of usual no.1 Rensing. No idea as to why as nothing mentioned about injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tusky wrote: »

I think that. I think Barca though, of the best teams, are worst suited to playing them in terms of style. That said, I think Barca will win this tie with relative easy personally, probably by outscoring.

Because I said that Bayern will now show me whats what ... :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think the people's dark horse will get a jolt tonight. They'll get an away goal though.

I wish I had Setanta Ireland :(

qqqb.jpg

Bayern defence looks too weak especially if up against Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Messi and Henry. Three first choice defenders and the first choice keeper absent for Bayern alongwith top goalscorer Klose. I can only see this going one way. If Barca cant beat this side then they have a serious problem. Hope Ribery puts in a good one.

Haha.........

Giles knows his Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Seaneh wrote: »

Barce are favourites obviously, but Bayern aren't going to roll over.

Lol, have you seen Barca in 4 years? Marquez has played in the midfield once since 2005.... Also, Pique is playing at CB, who is quite tall. Barca's defense can deal with height, they can't deal with fast and incisive runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is Pique playing LB, or Puyol?

/EDIT

Puyol apparently. Will be interesting to see how he handles Schweinsteiger.

/2nd EDIT

Wrong :) Altintop playing wide right.

Messi

1 - 0

Eto'o

2 - 0

Bayern could be in for a hammering here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Feckers ruining my multi bet.

Who got the assists?

E'too and Messi assisted each other.

Messi probably should have had a penalty just there.

Should've been a penalty.

Jaysus, Barca could be 3 or 4 up already.

Pep sent to the stands!

• Advertisement

good match this.

good jaysis, Henry really did a number on the keeper didn't he?

Des wrote: »
    good match this.

good jaysis, Henry really did a number on the keeper didn't he?

It'd be even if Bayern had turned up, but Barca are just amazing to watch. Though Ribery has still managed to look impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That booking for Messi was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Feckers ruining my multi bet.

Who got the assists?

Thought it was your namesake for the first and Messi for the second. Although BBC live text says it was Et'o for the first and Messi then returned the favour.:confused:

3 - 0

Messi again

Bring on Pool

three nil now, Henry doing very well, Messi.

• Advertisement

3-0 Messi

Classic-Henry putting on the afterburners there.

redout wrote: »
    3 - 0

Messi again

Bring on Pool Chelsea

one apiece in Anfield

Fuppin' heck.

What would've happened of Barca were playing Sporting? :p

Also, is this Barca playing well, Bayern playing badly, or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Job done Barca...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Tom65 wrote: »
    Fuppin' heck.

What would've happened of Barca were playing Sporting? :p

if bayern can get a touch of the ball we'll let you know how they're playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Game over already. Wow.

Four nil

Terry Henry in on the act.

4-0!!!!! HENRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... Fcuk me why would anybody support any other team??? ;);)

Tom65 wrote:
    To be fair they are missing 3 key players - Lucio, Lahm and Klose.

The defenders are definitely a big loss. And Breno looks way out of his depth. While Demichelis is normally playing DM I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus Bayern gonna find out how Lisbon felt in the last round...

Leo Messi took an elbow in the face there

Definite intentional elbow on Messi. He did a job on him.

My thoughts so far is that this is Barca giving what's probably the finest performance I've seen in the Champions League since Man Utd vs Roma. This could get much, much worse for Bayern.

The worst thing is Van Bommel was a Barca player I really loved, he lived and died for the shirt, and even gave a 'fu*k you' salute to Real Madrid when he scored against them for Bayern in the CL. Scummy thing to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

4-0 Barca

Great game so far. Should be more goals to come. Its like watching someone punch a kitten square in the face over and over ... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How Webb booked Messi for a dive there I'll never know. Shocking decision.

4-0 is almost flattering Bayern, Barca are just slicing through them like butter. Shocking defending really, but that can take nothing away from Barca's attack, which is just outstanding, outstanding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement