Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona v FC Bayern München Q/Final 1st leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tom65 wrote: »
    Also, is this Barca playing well, Bayern playing badly, or both?
    Barca obviously playing very well but Bayern have been shocking. Loads of mistakes. Terrible tactics too. You don't sit back and let Barca play. Hassle them.

My bet on Barca -1 at evens was safe early on and I could relax. Messi should have had a clear peno and Henry should definitely have scored those 2 chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Vokes wrote: »
    Great game so far. Should be more goals to come. Its like watching someone punch a kitten square in the face over and over ... :pac:

Yeah, it's great. I hate cats :D

Am I correct in thinking Bayern have only had 1 shot, and that was Ribery pulling the ball wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Yeah, it's great. I hate cats :D

Am I correct in thinking Bayern have only had 1 shot, and that was Ribery pulling the ball wide?

Schweinstager had a bit of a pop iswell, went on target too.. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I dont know what to make of this. I wouldnt say Barca should get the wow factor here as four of the five regulars from the Bayern defensive unit are all missing. (picture United with VDS, RIO, VIDIC, EVRA). Messi 100% dived and deserved his yellow. Watched the replay and the Bayern player definitely didnt kick him and actually clearly pulled his leg away. Pep deserved the red for acting like a lunatic. Then the guy didnt understand Howard Webb who sent him off. He went back the bench for a couple of mins before someone had to tell him he was off. The tie is beyond Bayern now who can only apply damage control at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

redout wrote: »
    I dont know what to make of this. I wouldnt say Barca should get the wow factor here as four of the five regulars from the Bayern defensive unit are all missing. (picture United with VDS, RIO, VIDIC, EVRA). Messi 100% dived and deserved his yellow. Watched the replay and the Bayern player definitely didnt kick him and actually clearly pulled his leg away. Pep deserved the red for acting like a lunatic. Then the guy didnt understand Howard Webb who sent him off. He went back the bench for a couple of mins before someone had to tell him he was off. The tie is beyond Bayern now who can only apply damage control at this stage.

Maybe you saw a different angle then I did but it seemed like definite contact, maybe not a penalty bit definitely not a booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Messi 100% dived and deserved his yellow. Watched the replay and the Bayern player definitely didnt kick him and actually clearly pulled his leg away.

sorry to disagree bud, clear contact, definite peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Jancker to come off the bench and score a hat-trick making it a tense finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Fuppin' heck.

What would've happened of Barca were playing Sporting? :p

They played them in the group stages as far as I remember.

JPA wrote: »
    Maybe you saw a different angle then I did but it seemed like definite contact, maybe not a penalty bit definitely not a booking.
    theteal wrote: »
    sorry to disagree bud, clear contact, definite peno

The Bayern guys kneecap contacted Messi ffs !

Spanish commentators even said it wasnt a penalty and Messi went to the ground to easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

And what did it say?

Spanish commentators even said it wasnt a penalty and Messi went to the ground to easily.

If there is contact it isn't a dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Andreas Ottel on. Klinsmann knows they're out of the competition, he probably just wants to avoid more humiliation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Think we can well and truely forget about Bayern anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yawn so far second half.

Off to RTE for me

Right so Barca v Chelsea semi. Going to be another tough one for Barca. Well be much different to a Liverpool tie. RTE just said Messi made a meal of his yellow card by the way so its not as if I am on my own on this.

• Advertisement

Right so Barca v Chelsea semi. Going to be another tough one for Barca. Well be much different to a Liverpool tie. RTE just said Messi made a meal of his yellow card by the way so its not as if I am on my own on this.

How do you make a meal of a yellow card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Watching the highlights on RTE. This is great craic. Theres been 3 or 4 different pronunciations of each of the Bayern players names.:)

One point I would like to make from tonights game is Guardiola making a mockery of his sending off. I dont know if you lot saw the same pictures as I because I am in Spain but Guardiola took a seat right next to the dugout down by the pitch. The camera kept regularly cutting to Guardiloa every few mins as he was literally sitting 5ft grom the Barca dugout (red X on pic) and regularly giving instruction to the bench. Surely this has to be a piss take of the rules ! I would expect to hear something about this from Uefa as that surely cannot be allowed.

aaauvp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lol

barca will win this outright easy

One point I would like to make from tonights game is Guardiola making a mockery of his sending off. I dont know if you lot saw the same pictures as I because I am in Spain but Guardiola took a seat right next to the dugout down by the pitch. The camera kept regularly cutting to Guardiloa every few mins as he was literally sitting 5ft grom the Barca dugout (red X on pic) and regularly giving instruction to the bench. Surely this has to be a piss take of the rules ! I would expect to hear something about this from Uefa as that surely cannot be allowed.

aaauvp.jpg

You can hardly stop someone from talking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OMG who the F*CK is the goon providing commentary on the Barca highlights?

He just described Puyol as being "almost like a refugee from the folk scene in the 60's" (his hair).

Just one of the cringeworthy phrases he's come out with.... bloody hell...

Dave! wrote: »
    OMG who the F*CK is the goon providing commentary on the Barca highlights?

He just described Puyol as being "almost like a refugee from the folk scene in the 60's" (his hair).

Just one of the cringeworthy phrases he's come out with.... bloody hell...

He's a moron. It seems like he's never seen either of these teams before.

Yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn RTE panel, can't defend, Puyol/ Marquez/ Pique terrible. Fcuking bring on Chelsea/ Liverpool to be honest, it'll be a 50-50 affair, but at least we can show the world that we CAN actually compete with the top 4 in England....... More than capable of beating Chelsea to be fair.

Dunphy is adamant that Marquez is an awful player. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dave! wrote: »

Yeah that gave me a little giggle alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

PHB wrote: »
    How Webb booked Messi for a dive there I'll never know. Shocking decision.
    Messi jumped off his right foot before contact was made with the defender. Clear dive.

Not to take away from the rest of Messi's game which was superb. Bayern would have got thrashed by most teams with that defence tbh. They are unlucky that they met a barca team in form. Shocking defending.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Messi doesn't dive lads. Seriously lads, Messi never dives. Ever. Lads.

... anyway. Scary stuff from Barca. Looking forward to seeing them taking on Chelsea in the semi.

... anyway. Scary stuff from Barca. Looking forward to seeing them taking on Chelsea in the semi.
    Chelsea will beat Barca providing they get no serious injuries (i.e Drogba) between then and now. Far stronger defence and too strong a midfield physically for Barca. Barca can tear apart weak defences but when they come up against a well organised, proven defence like Chelsea's (United last year) they shoot blanks.

K4t wrote: »
    Chelsea will beat Barca providing they get no serious injuries (i.e Drogba) between then and now. Far stronger defence and too strong a midfield physically for Barca. Barca can tear apart weak defences but when they come up against a well organised, proven defence like Chelsea's (United last year) they shoot blanks.

Barca this year and last year are 2 very different teams. But we'll see I suppose.

Jesus H Christ. Mystic Meg eh? Messi and co better pack it in.... Barca can only tear apart weak defences? And have a weak defence themselves? Funny you say that, let's have a look at the big teams Barca have played so far this season;

Atletico Madrid;
    Trashed them 6-1 at Nou Camp, lost 4-3 away.

Villareal;
    Beat them 2-1 away.

Sevilla;
    Beat them 3-0 away.

Valencia;
    Beat them 4-0 home.

Real Madrid;
    Beat them 2-0 home.

Lyon;
    Drew 1-1 away, beat them 5-2 at home.

Bayern Munich;
    Beat them 4-0 at home, away leg in 6 days...

Write us off all you fcuking want tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Barca this year and last year are 2 very different teams. But we'll see I suppose.

they've still not had to face anything like the physicality and fitness of Chelsea. Xavi and Iniesta in particular will struggle to impose themselves against Ballack and Essien methinks. it will be a really interesting contrast of styles.

anyone else think guardiola was a right muppet to get all upset like that? they were already cruising ffs... and he should be pulled up by UEFA on sitting so close to the dugout. The rules are quite clear, a manager who's been sent to the stands is not to have any contact with the bench.

It's not like Barca lack physical players with Toure, Keita and Busquets there.

It will take an unbelievable defensive performance to stop Barca over 2 legs.
    I can't see anyone stopping them ATM with Liverpool likely heading out.

they've still not had to face anything like the physicality and fitness of Chelsea. Xavi and Iniesta in particular will struggle to impose themselves against Ballack and Essien methinks. it will be a really interesting contrast of styles.

anyone else think guardiola was a right muppet to get all upset like that? they were already cruising ffs... and he should be pulled up by UEFA on sitting so close to the dugout. The rules are quite clear, a manager who's been sent to the stands is not to have any contact with the bench.

Xavi and Iniesta coped pretty well with the physical midfield of United last season, and came up against some bruisers in the Euro's. Sure Essien will be incredibly difficult to contain, as he is just a beast of a player, but have Chelsea come up against a team yet this season who keeps the ball as well as Barca, and can carve open teams as easily as Barca though. Two sides to every story.

Ya, Guardiola is real muppet for being denied an opportunity to almost guarantee a place in the semi's. Also, what if Messi gets another yellow and ends up being given a 1 match ban, that could be the difference between winning and losing the CL. It was ridiculous decision and Guardiola was right to be furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What an amazing transition from last year under Rijkaard. Barcelona really should win it this year, bar injuries they're unstoppable.

Failing Villarreal, I hope they do.

eZe^ wrote: »

Bayern Munich;

Leave it out man. The whole first choice defence was missing for christ sake ! (both CBs, the LB and the first choice keeper, any side was going to struggle against such a lethal attack missing that lot). I was actually dieing to see Messi go at it with Lahm :(

kinaldo wrote: »
    What an amazing transition from last year under Rijkaard. Barcelona really should win it this year, bar injuries they're unstoppable.

Failing Villarreal, I hope they do.

Nice to have a Madridista like yourself give us credit and back the mighty blaugrana. ;)
    It's not like Barca lack physical players with Toure, Keita and Busquets there.

It will take an unbelievable defensive performance to stop Barca over 2 legs.
    I can't see anyone stopping them ATM with Liverpool likely heading out.

Nah, it definitely will be a 50-50 encounter when it comes to the semi's if Barca progress, regardless of whether they face Chelsea/ Liverpool. Barca are easily capable on their day of destroying teams, but so are Chelsea/ Liverpool, as we have seen over the past month. It'll make for a good game, I just hope they don't play the Cantenaccio like United last year and Liverpool the year previous.

+1

Jesus H Christ. Mystic Meg eh? Messi and co better pack it in.... Barca can only tear apart weak defences? And have a weak defence themselves? Funny you say that, let's have a look at the big teams Barca have played so far this season;

Atletico Madrid;
    Trashed them 6-1 at Nou Camp, lost 4-3 away.

Villareal;
    Beat them 2-1 away.

Sevilla;
    Beat them 3-0 away.

Valencia;
    Beat them 4-0 home.

Real Madrid;
    Beat them 2-0 home.

Lyon;
    Drew 1-1 away, beat them 5-2 at home.

Bayern Munich;

Liverpool beat Real 4-0, Bayern's defence was diabolical and none of the teams there are a patch on Chelsea. You couldn't score a goal against United last season in two legs. Barca are hyped to the sky every year but when push comes to shove they don't deliver.

The smart money is on Chelsea.

Liverpool beat Real 4-0, Bayern's defence was diabolical and none of the teams there are a patch on Chelsea. You couldn't score a goal against United last season in two legs. Barca are hyped to the sky every year but when push comes to shove they don't deliver.

Rofl, when in the past 5 years have Chelsea won the CL again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Nice to have a Madridista like yourself give us credit and back the mighty blaugrana. ;)

Well credit where credit is due. They've been the best side in Europe by some distance this season and it's always good for football to see their style of play rewarded.

And it's not like they're gonna catch up with Madrid's 9 European Cups anytime soon :)

Ya, Guardiola is real muppet for being denied an opportunity to almost guarantee a place in the semi's. Also, what if Messi gets another yellow and ends up being given a 1 match ban, that could be the difference between winning and losing the CL. It was ridiculous decision and Guardiola was right to be furious.
    He's a great manager and very passionate. Mourinho would have done the same, Fergie too probably.

However, Howard Webb was entirely correct. Messi dived. He had clearly left the ground before he came into contact with the defender.

But having said that, Messi doesn't dive. :pac:

Except 3 years ago of course.

Have you honestly watched Barca this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But having said that, Messi doesn't dive. :pac:

Could he get the ball, i dont think he dived but couldnt get the ball.

fookin horrible if another puts him out of anohter important game

Rofl, when in the past 5 years have Chelsea won the CL again?
    They had a penalty kick to win it last season! and were beaten by the Pool for a few seaons before that. Liverpool were only in the CL in those seasons too and didn't have to think about the PL whereas Chelsea did.

Your comment has nothing to do with my post anyway.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Could he get the ball, i dont think he dived but couldnt get the ball.

fookin horrible if another puts him out of anohter important game
    He dived. We'll agree to disagree. ;)
    Except 3 years ago of course.

Have you honestly watched Barca this season?
    They have been excellent in La Liga but do they come up against teams with the physicality of those in the PL? No. Nobody knows until the match itself but I'm saying now that I think Chelsea will win.

• Advertisement

They have been excellent in La Liga but do they come up against teams with the physicality of those in the PL? No. Nobody knows until the match itself but I'm saying now that I think Chelsea will win.

Have Chelsea come up against a team who are as dominant and technical when on the ball yet in the PL? No.

Have Chelsea come up against a team who are as dominant and technical when on the ball yet in the PL? No.
    United played Chelsea off the pitch in a 3-0 drubbing in January. United and Arsenal (just watch the matches between the two last season) are as technically gifted as Barca when on form. They just can't do it in the PL week in week out because they are playing more in your face, physically stronger teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dunphy is adamant that Marquez is an awful player. :rolleyes:

Got to agree with him on that one. I think he is appalling

Man U did not exactly tear apart Barca last year did they? Nne great goal over 180 minutes. Just a kick of the ball. Plus, Barca Real is a huge derby of sorts so comparing that to Real Liverpool os a misnomer.

Hyped to the Sky but in the lat 3 years, barca have won it, been in the semis and lost by a single goal and look like they are cruising to another senmi final this year. I think the hype might be a tad justified?

Exactly. But you are writing Barca off because they have not played a PL style team yet. A PL team has not played a team of Barcas style yet this season either.

What do Barca have to do to get the praise from the PL worshippers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

United and Arsenal (just watch the matches between the two last season) are as technically gifted as Barca when on form.

Oh no, not at all. Not even close.

gimmick wrote: »
    Man U did not exactly tear apart Barca last year did they? Nne great goal over 180 minutes. Just a kick of the ball. Plus, Barca Real is a huge derby of sorts so comparing that to Real Liverpool os a misnomer.
    A draw would have been a fair result last season but United had a player who could make the difference, Barca didn't. CL is as big as a derby in fairness. Real Liverpool was a huge occasion considering both club's history.

Hyped to the Sky but in the lat 3 years, barca have won it, been in the semis and lost by a single goal and look like they are cruising to another senmi final this year. I think the hype might be a tad justified?[/quote]
    I mean the fact that everyone rates them higher than United when it simply isn't true. We will see in the semis but as I said, I don't think they will be able to cope against Chelsea when they have no space to play their game. They will not be able to pass the ball into the net against English teams.
    DSB wrote: »
    Oh no, not at all. Not even close.
    Arsenal and United are easily as good technically as Barca, as are Chelsea for that matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement