Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all just Leave!

Options
  • 08-04-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Every one keeps complaining on how tough the budget is, as if we didnt see it coming a mile off..

Theres so much skill in the people of ireland, that 99.9% wouldnt find it to difficult to find a job somewhere else in the world. Whether through immigration or contract work.

Theres a better quailty of life out there, but it aint here in ireland.

Look around, the world,s a huge place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Great - where do you recommend that isn't suffering a recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Great - where do you recommend that isn't suffering a recession?

Canada for one has opportunitys for irish people, Sure the east coast Of canada is like been in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Just heard from a friend in Canada who works with the equivalent of FAS...she says she has NEVER seen things so bad (and, like me, she is an "ould wan")...

But I really DO applaud your initiative, and positive attitude...

This really is one hell of a mess, and the only thing we know for sure is that sitting around, moaning, will not solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

already left my friend, already left. Its sad to say also that I don't have any plans on returning anytime soon.

Its pains me to say that as i thought i would come home to raise a family. More taxes does not improve an economy and will make people more inclined to not spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

as i mentioned in another thread there are plenty of countries who would take irish to do TOEFL etc teaching English to locals

if you have a degree or better in science or engineering you really dont have much to worry about, tho bankers and finance people are getting what they deserve :D lately

• Advertisement

aare wrote: »
    Just heard from a friend in Canada who works with the equivalent of FAS...she says she has NEVER seen things so bad (and, like me, she is an "ould wan")...

But I really DO applaud your initiative, and positive attitude...

This really is one hell of a mess, and the only thing we know for sure is that sitting around, moaning, will not solve it.

Alot of jobs in Canada depend on the price of a barrel of oil. Im working over in canada at the moment with an oil company. In canada at this time, alot of companys are suspending there foreigion tempoary worker programs for a 3 month period.

But they still will maintain a quota .

What im saying is Life is much better there for example. People with skills who dont agree with the budget leave this place, Over the next ten years people are going to struggle and meak out a poor quailty of life here.

Dont be a slave to ff fg or any other party.

In my veiw they can have this Island, ill come back on holidays once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'd leave but my gf has a good job. Also, it's global recession. Back to college I think.

silvine wrote: »
    I'd leave but my gf has a good job. Also, it's global recession. Back to college I think.

Make sure its in renewable energy.....

Theres nothing stopping you from going to work any where on this planet for a couple of weeks or months working at anything.

Remember life is not meant to be a struggle or worry, if it is do something positive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

why should we all have to leave? wouldnt it cost less to pack all the expensively overpaid politicians off to some 3rd world country instead?

then hire qualified people in their correct fields of expertise to run the various departments of this country

and hire others to police them with vigour to prevent corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Kippure wrote: »
    Make sure its in renewable energy.....

Theres nothing stopping you from going to work any where on this planet for a couple of weeks or months working at anything.

Remember life is not meant to be a struggle or worry, if it is do something positive about it.

There is! It's called a work permit or visa. You can't just go to any country you like and look for work. Canada, USA, Autralia all have stricked work visa's and if you have already recived on ein the past you may not be elligable to get another

• Advertisement

why should we all have to leave? wouldnt it cost less to pack all the expensively overpaid politicians off to some 3rd world country instead?

then hire qualified people in their correct fields of expertise to run the various departments of this country

and hire others to police them with vigour to prevent corruption.

Because its an option, why struuggle when you can have a great life somewhere else. I have no loyalty to this island. Infact the more it goes ta hell the better, people still are in denial here. What will it take for the irish to wake up and revolt. Ill tell you..Nothing... people will just sit there and complain about it on a high stool.

But your idea about people qualified for the various cabinet postions is classic. Ireland does not need politicians, it needs "qualified people in their correct fields of expertise to run the various departments of this country"
    and not politicians with "advisors".

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Canada for one has opportunitys for irish people, Sure the east coast Of canada is like been in ireland.

What's wrong with trying to do something so you don't have to leave? Are we rats leaving a sinking ship? Should we leave the poor feckers behind that will have to face this mess? Should our children not have a right to decent employment without having to leave the country? Should we just accept the mess that Ireland is in? No. If you want to do something, vote for someone besides the usual muppets.
    What hope is there when you get leaflets in your door from your local Chinese restaurant with a picture of a smug FF politian endorsing it? Yes, I received one of these a few days ago with Charlie O'Connor on it.

This is not the 80's all over again. We will get out of it but the country needs to take a good honest look at itself. We have politian's who are more concerned with speed bumps and speed cameras than working on national interests. They deliver very little for what they are paid and cannot be bothered to sit in the Dail even on one of the busiest days of the year. When SF were giving there reaction to the budget yesterday, it looked like no one was left. Only Martin Manseragh who was fast asleep.

Vote these lazy gangsters out instead of leaving. It'll do more good in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's nothing in Canada. The borders are closed to Irish immigrants till next year. What do you propose people do for the next 8 months?

flowerific wrote: »
    There is! It's called a work permit or visa. You can't just go to any country you like and look for work. Canada, USA, Autralia all have stricked work visa's and if you have already recived on ein the past you may not be elligable to get another

Thats what im saying, go get them, i did. And guess what? it works. Apply for Permanent residancey for as many countrys as possible. Dont put any barriers infront of you or any excusses. Smash the walls down and go for it.

seamus wrote: »
    There's nothing in Canada. The borders are closed to Irish immigrants till next year. What do you propose people do for the next 8 months?

Wrong. Because im going through the PR Program right now for skilled workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die

maybe we should hold a national strike and lose money for the economy, as the budget is making us pay for the problem, why shouldn't we cause problems. The people are the new government! Power to the people!! :rolleyes:

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    What's wrong with trying to do something so you don't have to leave? Are we rats leaving a sinking ship? Should we leave the poor feckers behind that will have to face this mess? Should our children not have a right to decent employment without having to leave the country? Should we just accept the mess that Ireland is in? No. If you want to do something, vote for someone besides the usual muppets.
    What hope is there when you get leaflets in your door from your local Chinese restaurant with a picture of a smug FF politian endorsing it? Yes, I received one of these a few days ago with Charlie O'Connor on it.

This is not the 80's all over again. We will get out of it but the country needs to take a good honest look at itself. We have politian's who are more concerned with speed bumps and speed cameras than working on national interests. They deliver very little for what they are paid and cannot be bothered to sit in the Dail even on one of the busiest days of the year. When SF were giving there reaction to the budget yesterday, it looked like no one was left. Only Martin Manseragh who was fast asleep.

Vote these lazy gangsters out instead of leaving. It'll do more good in the long run.

Theres nothing wrong with staying, its a choice. But if thats that life you want, grand.

A change in goverment? for who?

Who would you vote for, An independant?

There just not interested in the People.

As you said there was nearly an empty house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wrong. Because im going through the PR Program right now for skilled workers.
    That's funny because a Canadian ambassador was on the radio a few weeks back saying that there were no more temporary work Visas available in Canada for 2009.

[Edit: Aha, "PR" obviously means "Permanent Residency". Well that's a whole different kettle of fish. But either way if the temporary visas are going like hot cakes you can be sure that any job vacancies in Canada are no doubt under massive competition or soon will be.

seamus wrote: »
    That's funny because a Canadian ambassador was on the radio a few weeks back saying that there were no more temporary work Visas available in Canada for 2009.

[Edit: Aha, "PR" obviously means "Permanent Residency". Well that's a whole different kettle of fish. But either way if the temporary visas are going like hot cakes you can be sure that any job vacancies in Canada are no doubt under massive competition or soon will be.

http://www.leaderpost.com/business/Government+shortens+time+process+immigrants+paperwork/1436873/story.html

Check this article out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Wonder if theres any unpopulated caribbean islands about. We can call it Boards Island and all live there happy ever after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'd love to leave, I'd go tomorrow if I could, but I have a house and a kid which I can barely pay for. This country might be doing down the tubes but there's lots of people who simply can't abandon ship saving a lotto win **crosses fingers**

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The government want people to leave and the people want them to leave. It's all a question of timing. If there are, as I understand, 70 million people with Irish roots spread across the planet, it proves that Ireland has never been able to look after its own people, no matter who was in power.

If something radical doesn't happen, this place will be worse off than Moldova when the world recession ends.

It must be time to wave goodbye to the dynastic hicks "running?" the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Theres nothing wrong with staying, its a choice. But if thats that life you want, grand.
    Yes it's a choice but if droves of people left we'd be worse off. I can't see that happening yet because every country is in a similar boat to ourselves. But once the global economy picks up, it will probably be the US which rebounds first. It could be a long time before Ireland does and that's when emigration is likely to happen.
    A change in goverment? for who? Who would you vote for, An independant? There just not interested in the People.

Vote for change. It's the people who put them there in the first place.
    It's clear that these gangsters don't care, it doesn't mean that can't change with fresh faces.
    Why leave Ireland and let these *ricks do what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

My brother has gone to Canada 3 weeks ago on a 1 year work Visa.
    He still has not found any building work.

He said he met a solicitor who went out the same time as him and was looking for legal work for 6 weeks before she left and she has since joined a temp agency for secretarial work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Emigration, though difficult in the current climate, is probably the most patriotic course of action and here's why: During what many people at the time recognised as an unsustainable boom, the government used tax money from construction to expand public sector jobs in order to buy votes. Now during the slump, it can't be cut back proportionately.

Rather than tend to the underlying problem in the wider economy the government has chosen instead to raise taxes - the opposite of the stimulus measures in other countries - which will have the effect of further deepening the recession and which, in turn, will cause the government to further raise taxes. And so on, creating a downward spiral.

We are told that we need to make sacrifices for the good of the country. That is not true. We are making sacrifices for the good of the state apparatus (politicians and their pensions and perks., civil servants etc.) not the country itself.

The real problem is that we have come to identify this state apparatus with the country it has been created to serve. Cart before the horse. We need to get back to a situation where we make demands of the government and not the other way round.

A collapse needs to be brought about before this situation changes.

So I'm thinking that if you have skills, emigrate if you can and put them to some use. Keep them fresh so you can use them when you eventually come back rather than have them apostrophe here.

lucylu wrote: »
    My brother has gone to Canada 3 weeks ago on a 1 year work Visa.
    He still has not found any building work.

He said he met a solicitor who went out the same time as him and was looking for legal work for 6 weeks before she left and she has since joined a temp agency for secretarial work.

Has your brother got a Trade? If so he should be checking out places like alberta and saskatchewan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Has your brother got a Trade? If so he should be checking out places like alberta and saskatchewan.

yes he does.. he is based in Toronto at the moment..
    Thanks will let him know

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Thats what im saying, go get them, i did. And guess what? it works. Apply for Permanent residancey for as many countrys as possible. Dont put any barriers infront of you or any excusses. Smash the walls down and go for it.

I Applied for an Austrialian permanent residency and didn't qualify. You don't just get a visa for a counrty Just because you apply for one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

Soby wrote: »
    Wonder if theres any unpopulated caribbean islands about. We can call it Boards Island and all live there happy ever after

cuba :) that island has freedom written all over it, well according to mr burns. Would the last person leaving turn out the lights please or else the greens will follow us

• Advertisement

flowerific wrote: »
    I Applied for an Austrialian permanent residency and didn't qualify. You don't just get a visa for a counrty Just because you apply for one :rolleyes:

That goes with out saying...

Advertisement