Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol unaffected - I think NOT !

Options
  • 08-04-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Ok so the diesel went up & the petrol was to be uneffected.

I drive for a living aprox 5000km per month so I use pumps.ie a lot & get the best price . Got a fill last night & true enough this morning up it had gone by 5c. Passing my local garage this morning at 11am petrol was 103.4c & diesel was 102.2. Returning past it at 12:30pm petrol was at 108.4c.

uneffected...... Time to name & shame these rip off garages. has anyone else noticed anything similar out there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Toneranger

Can someone tell me the logic in raising Diesel in the Budget but not raising petrol because "we don't want people going north" says the minister.

So I can't go up north in a diesel, and do it with less emmissions, which the EU is already breathing down the neck of the government for.

Surely the should have pushed back the lower diesel taxes to start of 2005 based on emmissions,, get all the second hand car selling in dealerships and decrease the Countries C02 footprint overnight.

I was considering changing to diesel and buying a secondhand diesel, no way now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Petrol was effected in the last budget, Diesel wasnt. Diesel is becoming more popular because it is so cheap, government added extra tax. Adding more tax to Petrol would have been crazy in a market already through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

petrol prices in ireland have been creeping up ever since the media took their eye off it (they think we won't notice)

We are told by our fearless leaders to "shop around" but it is impossible to shop around when every single station in the town sells at the exact same price.

The government ought to impose price controls or at the very least, prosecute petrol stations and oil companies for price fixing and anti competitive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Petrol is slowly creeping up around me - cork/kerry area. I religiously shop around for it and will drive an extra few miles to the nest garage out of pure stubbornness even for a cent difference.

From a low of around the 88c mark a few months back, the lowest I see now is around 101-102c. Dont think their usual excuse of the price of a barrel of oil can stick either - i think that has been fairly static of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

jenzz wrote: »
    Ok so the diesel went up & the petrol was to be uneffected.

Passing my local garage this morning at 11am petrol was 103.4c & diesel was 102.2. Returning past it at 12:30pm petrol was at 108.4c.

That is just plain naughty!

I will be curious to see what Topaz pricing is like...I have a fuelcard and, apart from trying to cancel their much vaunted "negotiated price defaults to cheaper pump price" sales pitch, without telling anyone in November (they had to reverse that till after fair warning, in January), they text me every friday to inform me whether the negotiated price will rise, or fall.

That prediction is, invariably, the opposite of what happens to pump prices.

As a result, I use my Visa card A LOT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Caboose

jenzz wrote: »
    has anyone else noticed anything similar out there??

My garage does it sneakily. Dropped from 1.20+ to .99. Before the budget it was back up to 1.03. every day since it has climbed by one cent (incl tuesday) so now we're back up to 1.07. Diesel matched it yesterday but was a lot lower this morning.

Bicycle investment time methinks!

:eek:

Advertisement