Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data connection and insomnia

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

explain me this please...

without using insomnia, does both wifi and edge\3G switch off about 15 minutes after the phone goes to sleep??

If so, while the phone is asleep and if i have email set to chack for mail every 15 minutes, does it switch on the data connection, check for mail and then switch it off again??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Gryzor wrote: »
    explain me this please...

without using insomnia, does both wifi and edge\3G switch off about 15 minutes after the phone goes to sleep??

If so, while the phone is asleep and if i have email set to chack for mail every 15 minutes, does it switch on the data connection, check for mail and then switch it off again??

Your iPhone's data connection is always on for e-mail. So if you set it to check e-mail every 15mins it will do just that - even if sleeping. No need for insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

always on for email...so its always on for everthing??

whats the function of insomnia then??

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Nope, not on for everything. Apple will only allow certain applications to run "in the background" e-mail being one, your iPod, your phone. All other applications will stop once the phone goes to sleep. Insomnia (I assume) stops your phone going to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

what i'm curious about is wheather the data connection stays on while the phone is asleep. i read somewhere that when the phone sleeps, the wifi is turned off, but edge\3g stays on, thats why email can be received...is this accurate??

Advertisement