Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broody Hen

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Got 2 hens before christmas and they started laying in February. Everything was going grand until one of them wouldn't leave the laying box. Thought the dog or cat had got at it first but she is sitting on 2 of her companions eggs so I now think she is broody.

Whats the best thing to do now? I have seen her out of the box only once in the last week. I have water and pellets in the house for her. If she is broody and not sick I might try and get some pheasant eggs for her to see what happens but if I cant get them what should I do, leave her sitting, remove the eggs, lock her out of the coop during the day? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

My Nana used to duck their heads in a basin of water lol, and yes it actually worked, it knocked it out of them. You may not be up for that though! What I do is just root them out everyday and don't leave her with eggs to sit on, if possible keep her out of the house too, since she's broody she won't lay eggs anyway.
    Usually when you kick them off the nest everyday they put up a bit of a fight and peck you, I usually throw a blanket over them and lift them out.

Advertisement