Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

under 20s dole question

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

i thought it was getting cut for everyone under 20 but then someone told me today its just those who sign on after the end of april that will be getting the half rate
    anyone know? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you're under 20 and presently on the dole your money will not be cut.The new measures apply to new claimants who apply after May 1st only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it might be ok if it was for people living at their parents home, is it?

I don't think so lostexpectation. These are the only exceptions noted.
    Jobseeker’s Allowance
    The personal rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) will be reduced to €100 per week for new claimants under 20 years of age (first week of May 2009).

The maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult payable to a Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant aged under 20 will also be reduced to €100 per week (first week of May 2009).

However, the reduced personal and qualified adult rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance for claimants under 20 years of age will not apply in the following cases:

Claimants with dependent children
    Claimants with a qualified adult and dependent children
    People transferring to Jobseeker’s Allowance immediately after finishing their entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit
    People transferring from Disability Allowance to Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Where an existing Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant gets a job and stops claiming the allowance but loses that job an ends up back on Jobseeker’s Allowance within 12 months
    People aged 18 and 19 participating in a Youthreach course for young early school leavers or a full-time course in a Senior Traveller Training Centre
    Claimants who qualify for the Back to Education Allowance full-time second level course or post Leaving Cert course
    People aged 18 to 19 participating in a full-time FAS training course
    When a person on reduced Jobseeker’s Allowance reaches the age of 20, if they still qualify, they will be entitled to the full adult rate.

There is no change to Jobseeker’s Benefit for claimants under 20 years of age.
    Source :http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/supplementary-budget-2009/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why is someone under 20 less deserving of a the dole, social welfare allowance is based on how much you've contributed, under 20s will contribute soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

it might be ok if it was for people living at their parents home, is it?

I couldn't agree more...but unfortunately it isn't.

You can retain the higher rate if you can get on a FAS course...but nobody has explained yet just how that will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

why is someone under 20 less deserving of a the dole, social welfare allowance is based on how much you've contributed, under 20s will contribute soon enough.

I think, in a sense, you've answered your own question. Social welfare allowance is partly based on your own contribution and the contribution of society. Contributing "soon enough" is not the same as having worked for a number of years contributing continuously.

What they are trying to do is to encourage young people to stay in education, and to get qualifications to work with (be it in the form of a diploma, a degree, a FAS course, apprenticeship, etc.). What they are trying to discourage is people leaving school early, making no attempt at getting a job, and simply signing on once they're old enough. They're trying to discourage the creation of more people dependant long term on welfare, people who will never work (but who will continue to claim benefits).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

Kila wrote: »
    I think, in a sense, you've answered your own question. Social welfare allowance is partly based on your own contribution and the contribution of society. Contributing "soon enough" is not the same as having worked for a number of years contributing continuously.

What they are trying to do is to encourage young people to stay in education, and to get qualifications to work with (be it in the form of a diploma, a degree, a FAS course, apprenticeship, etc.). What they are trying to discourage is people leaving school early, making no attempt at getting a job, and simply signing on once they're old enough. They're trying to discourage the creation of more people dependant long term on welfare, people who will never work (but who will continue to claim benefits).

That's exactly correct. The worry always is that in some cases as soon as some people turn 18 they either march or are marched down to the dole office to sign on, where many remain for many years without any intension of gaining further education or employment.

When the upturn happens we need as many skilled and qualified people as possible. Un-Skilled workers such as assembly line workers and labourers are really a thing of the past in Ireland. Our only hope is with this "knowledge economy". An example is that in my industry (Software), there is a forecast of a shortage of highly skilled Software Engineers etc, and this will hurt Ireland in the long run as we need the base of skilled workers to attract this inward investment.

Sorry if I've gone on a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

techdiver wrote: »
    That's exactly correct. The worry always is that in some cases as soon as some people turn 18 they either march or are marched down to the dole office to sign on, where many remain for many years without any intension of gaining further education or employment.

When the upturn happens we need as many skilled and qualified people as possible. Un-Skilled workers such as assembly line workers and labourers are really a thing of the past in Ireland. Our only hope is with this "knowledge economy". An example is that in my industry (Software), there is a forecast of a shortage of highly skilled Software Engineers etc, and this will hurt Ireland in the long run as we need the base of skilled workers to attract this inward investment.

Sorry if I've gone on a little.

so the way forward for us 18-20 year olds and ireland is to get into technology and software?...

marko91 wrote: »
    so the way forward for us 18-20 year olds and ireland is to get into technology and software?...

Absolutely, and if you could manage to do that BEFORE May first you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

I don't have a crystal ball, but at the moment Software and IT is having a difficult time but it is not as badly hit as some industries. Over the last number of years there has been a severe shortage of qualified software professionals. This is not so much the case now, but when the upturn comes and inward investment picks up again, much of this investment will be in IT and Software.

There then is a predicted problem that due to the IT bubble in the late 90's/early 00's many jobs were lost and this discouraged young people from pursuing careers in this area. But in the last 4 years things picked up once again and many of the new positions taken up in software in Ireland were filled by migrant workers form eastern Europe and India. Irish people could not be found.

Whatever you decide to pursue there is no guarantee's, unless you become a doctor of join the Guards, but IT and software should hopefully rebuild a demand for more workers when the world economy recovers.

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    There then is a predicted problem that due to the IT bubble in the late 90's/early 00's many jobs were lost and this discouraged young people from pursuing careers in this area. But in the last 4 years things picked up once again and many of the new positions taken up in software in Ireland were filled by migrant workers form eastern Europe and India. Irish people could not be found.

Now that IS a very interesting point to highlight and repeat for anyone looking at future career options...or anyone in FAS with sufficient common sense to run courses aimed in that direction. Rather than the existing pointless palliatives for unemployed late teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Im currently doing a software/computing course and was thinking of packing it in but this thread has just given me encouragement to keep at it cheers:)

aare wrote: »
    Absolutely, and if you could manage to do that BEFORE May first you should be fine.

...ive been on the dole since i turned 18 in january, does the 50% cut apply to me?cos i keep hearing yes it does and also no it doesnt...can anyone give me a 100% right answer?

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    Im currently doing a software/computing course and was thinking of packing it in but this thread has just given me encouragement to keep at it cheers:)

RESULT!!!
    :D

The best moments on this board are the ones where you have the timing to be part of a little good news about the future...

I must say...having watched the IT industries deflate as though pricked by a balloon in 2000 when people realized the was going to be NO SUCH THING as a significant "millenium bug", and having personally taken a hit when the dot.coms crashed, I was glad to have my own "information databases" upgraded here in terms of the future viability of IT and software industries...

...ive been on the dole since i turned 18 in january, does the 50% cut apply to me?cos i keep hearing yes it does and also no it doesnt...can anyone give me a 100% right answer?

The 100% right answer is that it will NOT apply to you, and even if you take a job, and lose it within the next 12 months it STILL will not apply...

So you can relax. I give you my word.

The 100% right answer is that it will NOT apply to you, and even if you take a job, and lose it within the next 12 months it STILL will not apply...

jesus thank god!!!....u have made my day aare:D...now i can actualy survive the week while i search for a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

My advice to anyone thinking of doing something in college... business management... applies to everything :o and, if you can't find a job, at least you'll have the no how to start your OWN business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sorry, I have been asked to check this for someone else and I cant see anything that definitively says it is only for new applicatons.

I know on the welfare site it says it is only for new applicants, but then it also says 'The Qualified Adult Rate payable to a Jobseekers Allowance / Welfare Allowance claimant aged under 20 years will also be €100 per week."

So confusing!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Sorry, I have been asked to check this for someone else and I cant see anything that definitively says it is only for new applicatons.

I know on the welfare site it says it is only for new applicants, but then it also says 'The Qualified Adult Rate payable to a Jobseekers Allowance / Welfare Allowance claimant aged under 20 years will also be €100 per week."

So confusing!

ive seen on rte.ie that the cut applys to "people to apply after 1st may"....i keep hearing yes it does affect peopel already and no it doesnt so im still confused:confused:why didnt they just bloody give a clear answer when reading it out in the budget?

So confusing!
    ive seen on rte.ie that the cut applys to "people to apply after 1st may"....i keep hearing yes it does affect peopel already and no it doesnt so im still confused:confused:why didnt they just bloody give a clear answer when reading it out in the budget?

Lads this is the internet. Just google and you'll find confirmation easy enough.It's also already in this thread but for your benefit :

From the Citizens Information site :
    Jobseeker’s Allowance
    The personal rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) will be reduced to €100 per week for new claimants under 20 years of age (first week of May 2009).
    The maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult payable to a Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant aged under 20 will also be reduced to €100 per week (first week of May 2009).

However, the reduced personal and qualified adult rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance for claimants under 20 years of age will not apply in the following cases:

Claimants with dependent children
    Claimants with a qualified adult and dependent children
    People transferring to Jobseeker’s Allowance immediately after finishing their entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit
    People transferring from Disability Allowance to Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Where an existing Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant gets a job and stops claiming the allowance but loses that job an ends up back on Jobseeker’s Allowance within 12 months People aged 18 and 19 participating in a Youthreach course for young early school leavers or a full-time course in a Senior Traveller Training Centre
    Claimants who qualify for the Back to Education Allowance full-time second level course or post Leaving Cert course
    People aged 18 to 19 participating in a full-time FAS training course
    When a person on reduced Jobseeker’s Allowance reaches the age of 20, if they still qualify, they will be entitled to the full adult rate.

There is no change to Jobseeker’s Benefit for claimants under 20 years of age.

Source :http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/supplementary-budget-2009/

• Advertisement

So confusing!

"Qualified adult rate" is what you are paid if you claim for a partner, or similar.

Don't work Mark, I have it direct from the INOU that it will only affect those who sign after May 1.

chilly are u saying it will affect me?....and i pray ur right aare lol

If you are under 20 and now on the dole your benefit will NOT be cut. That is definitely accurate.
    You can ring the citizens information line on 1890 777 121 and be told by a source you can 100% trust if you like. If you need your mind set at rest you should. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

It said in the underlined part that it applies to NEW CLAIMANTS... will you only be claiming after May 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

i have been working and paying tax etc for 6 years. i went to my local social welfare clinic to apply for jobseekers because i couldn't get a job, and i was disgusted at the way the man treated me. Don't get me wrong, in the area there a people who aply at 18 and will prob go through till they are 40, but i am not one of these people, and dont expect to be treatyed like this. then they have the cheek to cut it for under 20's to €100 per week. I know 6 years isn't that long but i have never, nor would i ever have dreamed of signing on before. i think this new under 20's thing should depend on your work history... and people who hav never had a job should get €100 per week. i have been paying tax for the last few years for some scroungers who cant be arsed getting jobs (i would say about 10% of the people on benefits) and when i really need it myself its soooo bloody hard! like i know people whio get their dole and go straight to the local dealer. they dont get looked down upon like i did. anyway i am just ranting now! i dont mind doing my bit but i expet it in return when its my time.

i have been working and paying tax etc for 6 years. i went to my local social welfare clinic to apply for jobseekers because i couldn't get a job, and i was disgusted at the way the man treated me. Don't get me wrong, in the area there a people who aply at 18 and will prob go through till they are 40, but i am not one of these people, and dont expect to be treatyed like this. then they have the cheek to cut it for under 20's to €100 per week. I know 6 years isn't that long but i have never, nor would i ever have dreamed of signing on before. i think this new under 20's thing should depend on your work history... and people who hav never had a job should get €100 per week. i have been paying tax for the last few years for some scroungers who cant be arsed getting jobs (i would say about 10% of the people on benefits) and when i really need it myself its soooo bloody hard! like i know people whio get their dole and go straight to the local dealer. they dont get looked down upon like i did. anyway i am just ranting now! i dont mind doing my bit but i expet it in return when its my time.

David I am only so, SO sorry you were treated like that...and to see a return to that kind of treatment in a more general way.

Sadly, those working for the Department are under intense pressure, and some have been drafted in from other areas to cope...and not all of them are the best at dealing with the public...

You don't deserve that treatment, and it wasn't personal...please believe that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

David I am only so, SO sorry you were treated like that...and to see a return to that kind of treatment in a more general way.

Sadly, those working for the Department are under intense pressure, and some have been drafted in from other areas to cope...and not all of them are the best at dealing with the public...

You don't deserve that treatment, and it wasn't personal...please believe that?

haha what??

he wasnt drafted in he is there all the time, and he was an arse..

haha what??

he wasnt drafted in he is there all the time, and he was an arse..

That happens too...and not just in the DSFA...

I think you will probably find that family connections were used to pop him in to the Civil Service young because, with a 'tude like that he hadn't go a HOPE of passing an interview in the private sector...EVER...

You just keep your head high and thank heavens you are not like that!

yea when i went in in january to apply for JSA the man in the booth i got was a total C*UNT! he was a moan bag and rude he just made my blood boil, i did nothing rong to be treated like that...he was bein a c*nt yet i had to be polite to him just cos he works their...their are some nice people working their though:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement