Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes - Relevant or Not

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Haven't seen the topic raised up until now.

The title of this forum is DIY - Do "It" Yourself - yet a good fraction of the threads on the forum are requests for quotes for this, that and the other where the work will be done by a tradesman. I find these posts a distraction from the core purpose of the forum, which I see as a place where those who are undertaking work themselves can ask questions about their projects and offer or exchange advice. Then again I may be misinterpreting the intention of what "it" is. The forum charter doesn't really deal with this point so I offer it up for discussion.

Has any consideration been given to providing a dedicated forum for these "quotation" or "going rates" kind of threads?

Any takers on either side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I see your point but looking at the nature of prev posters and requests for info I believe that the majority use the forum for exactly what its for. The quotation threads that appear every so often tend to be more of a discussion about price services etc. If there was a problem with these then the mods woukd have stamped their authority a long time ago. Live and let live as all anyone is looking for is a bit of friendly experienced advice.:rolleyes:The going rates in my opinion would turn into and advertisement section of "who is available and for what price" and that is what the adverts section is for.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

... I believe that the majority use the forum for exactly what its for.
    ... If there was a problem with these then the mods woukd have stamped their authority a long time ago.

Ah yeah, not saying it's wrong to post these type of questions as things are but just wondering if there's anyone out there that agrees with me and if there'd be any support for moving them into a sub or parallel forum. I take your point about the risk of it turning into an adfest alright though. Then again maybe a dedicated section on adverts would be another route. Ah I'm just typing as I think, I haven't thought it through in much detail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

backboiler wrote: »
    Ah yeah, not saying it's wrong to post these type of questions as things are but just wondering if there's anyone out there that agrees with me and if there'd be any support for moving them into a sub or parallel forum. I take your point about the risk of it turning into an adfest alright though. Then again maybe a dedicated section on adverts would be another route. Ah I'm just typing as I think, I haven't thought it through in much detail...

maybe because peeps want a rough estimate to get the job done before they go out and pay over the odds in B&Q and end up making a balls of the project them selves.

to be honest . Not many lads get work from the DIY forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Good point Gsxr1,

Although the forum does help to identify whether the individual is able to do the job or will indeed need the help of a pro before making a "liathroidi" of it. i would go with backboilers suggestion of a sub category.

B

Advertisement