Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anpost mail redirection service

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

not really an issue but couldn't find any other place to open this thread.

I am moving city next month and would like to use the An Post mail redirection facility for the next 3 months.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Wizards/Manage+my+mail/redirection.htm

I would like to know if any of you tried this and had any problem with it? I also would like to understand how they actually know who is subscribed to this service and therefore needs mail redirection? Do they actually check every letter one by one before sending it out for delivery? :confused:

Thanks for your help. ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're better off trying to come to an arrangement with the person that owns or will move into your current house to be honest, it's very hit and miss.

(All letters go through an automated sorting system that scans letters as the fly past and attempts to OCR them. I don't know exact stats but I'd guess a large majority go through first time. Ones that don't are manually sorted by people, usually via scans presented on screen.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

dahamsta wrote: »
    You're better off trying to come to an arrangement with the person that owns or will move into your current house to be honest, it's very hit and miss.

(All letters go through an automated sorting system that scans letters as the fly past and attempts to OCR them. I don't know exact stats but I'd guess a large majority go through first time. Ones that don't are manually sorted by people, usually via scans presented on screen.)

adam

Nice one thanks - I think this system should suit me as most of the mails I am concerned about are bills, banks, etc, therefore not handwritten. 55€ for 3 months sound reasonable enough to allow me sometime to sort out my new address :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not just change over all your bank stuff and bills in one day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not impressed; ended up calling the local mail office only to be told "oh, we got mail here for you will you come in and pick it up?" after 6 months waiting for a specific letter.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why not just change over all your bank stuff and bills in one day
    It's a pain in the arse and you'll be chasing some of them up for months afterwards - plus of course you'll forget some - but that's the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

or just register at http://www.myaddress.ie/ and they'll do everything for you for most utilities / banks and other companies at a cost of under a tenner.

Not a bad service, but not error free either. Better value than An Post though, and better CS too. The An Post people are answerable to no-one, and it shows in everything they do.
    darc wrote: »
    or just register at http://www.myaddress.ie/ and they'll do everything for you for most utilities / banks and other companies at a cost of under a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I used myaddress.ie and also set up a 3 month redirect with AnPost when I moved house a few years ago. Didn't have any problems with the redirect, and it meant that the few things I'd forgotten about arrived and I changed them then.

One thing to look out for when you're moving are things like pension statements that only get sent once a year - it's very easy to forget them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Miss Nayni

Wondering can I redirect mail from my fixed address as people at home seem to open my mail regardless of it has my name on it or whether I'm there or not. My friend said I could redirect it to hers but I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Miss Nayni wrote: »
    Wondering can I redirect mail from my fixed address as people at home seem to open my mail regardless of it has my name on it or whether I'm there or not. My friend said I could redirect it to hers but I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions.

Yes and no. You can pay for the An Post redirect service (it's now €75 for 3 months). However you're confirming that the new address is your true address, though I've no idea how to check that.

It could also cause you issues with banks, etc if you need to prove your address at any stage. It's designed for when you're leaving one place completely and moving elsewhere.

Can you not just ask people to stop opening your mail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Miss Nayni wrote: »

Ask your postman will he help you with it(obviously give him something for it). Despite moving within the same post code An Post were not able to redirect my post for me( I paid the fee but wasnt getting the post consistently). So I got the postman to sort it out and the letters were redirected consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Ask your postman will he help you with it(obviously give him something for it). Despite moving within the same post code An Post were not able to redirect my post for me( I paid the fee but wasnt getting the post consistently). So I got the postman to sort it out and the letters were redirected consistently.

You shouldn't have to bribe or otherwise induce staff to do work - if they are failing to redirect after the legitimate payment, you make a complaint.

Advertisement