Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orange Order and the Ku Klux Klan

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

I am aware of at least one major thesis being prepared in relation similarities between the KKK in the Deep South and the Orange Order in the North.

Quiet interesting. I will elaborate more as the thread progresses.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ah come on now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thats a bit much isn't it?

i know they both were adept at forming lynch mobs but somehow i couldnt see paisley in front of a burning cross hanging a group of defensless african americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lets see; they are both lodges, both contain ignorant people, both contain stuff for their communites, and both hate someone who has opposite skin colour/religion....

You could also include the RCC in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

If you trace the origins of the Orange Order through to the KKK in the 19th Cent. you will find a lot a shared history and ideals (and personal)

In fact the KKK drew inspiration from the Orange Order and many prominant Orange Order activists in the Deep South helped set up the KKK (which incidentally was not a violent organisation to start out with and to be fair the whole buring crosses imagery is greatly exaggerated).

Alot of Ulster Scots emigrated to the Deep South (and Canada) at the same time Irish catholics were moving to Boston etc.

The expression "Hill Billy" was coined by locals to describe Ulster Scots in the Deep South who would march every July...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

africas-orange-order.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I would describe the theme of this thread as incitement to hatred :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

Which KKK? The hard men known as 'night riders' after the civil war; the mass organisation of 'God Fearing' prohibitionists between the wars; or the bunch of 'white power' losers, who welcome Roman Catholics as members and are attracted to Celtic culture today?

Camelot wrote: »

In what way?

Who is being incited and who is being 'hated'?

It is a genuine social and academic study. You might not like it but then again the truth often hurts.

Camelot wrote: »

I'd describe it as wilfull ignorance of the history of the Roman Catholic Church and an example of flawed logic comparing voluntary association (religion) with biological assciation (skin tone)

If the OO were merely a shower of racists and all about racism then they wouldn't have an African membership. I wonder does the questioner think that the AOH are also like the KKK?

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    I'd describe it as wilfull ignorance of the history of the Roman Catholic Church and an example of flawed logic comparing voluntary association (religion) with biological assciation (skin tone)

If the OO were merely a shower of racists and all about racism then they wouldn't have an African membership. I wonder does the questioner think that the AOH are also like the KKK?

You will note from my previous posts that I am more interested on the origins of the KKK and its associaion with Orange Order in the Deep South.

I am afraid you are jumping the gun.

• Advertisement

You will note that I have specifially referred to the origins of the KKK and its associaion with Orange Order in the Deed South.

I am afraid you are jumping the gun.

Do you have some references for these associations? For instance I hear you saying that the KKK drew its inspiration from the OO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

DrumSteve wrote: »
    thats a bit much isn't it?

i know they both were adept at forming lynch mobs but somehow i couldnt see paisley in front of a burning cross hanging a group of defensless african americans.

Yeah but change the words "African Americans" to something else and all of a sudden it becomes plausible.
    Catholic homes caught fire because they were loaded with petrol bombs; Catholic churches were attacked and burned because they were arsenals and priests handed out sub-machine guns to parishioners.
    This Romish man of sin is now in Hell!
    I denounce you, Anti-Christ! I refuse you as Christ's enemy and Antichrist with all your false doctrine.

Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

Babybing said:
    Catholic homes caught fire because they were loaded with petrol bombs; Catholic churches were attacked and burned because they were arsenals and priests handed out sub-machine guns to parishioners.

Ever heard of The Claudy bombing and Father James Chesney?
    This Romish man of sin is now in Hell!

Religious opinion.
    I denounce you, Anti-Christ! I refuse you as Christ's enemy and Antichrist with all your false doctrine.

Religious opinion.

Hmmm indeed...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I am aware of at least one major thesis being prepared in relation similarities between the KKK in the Deep South and the Orange Order in the North.

Quiet interesting. I will elaborate more as the thread progresses.

Any thoughts?

Without offering thoughts of your own, I'm not sure why anyone whould share theirs with you.

Please read the guidelines on starting threads in this forum.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement