Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much data does GPS on mobile phone use?

• 08-04-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

I am thinking about picking up an unlocked Nokia 5800 and putting my 02 PAYG sim in it.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much data is used using the GPS (e.g. nokia maps)...say for a 30 minute use (never used one before so don't know if it is "connected" at all times or what). Wouldn't use it every day just a fews time a month maybe, weekends.

Info on the O2.ie website doesn't give suggested costs, just says a webpage is about 25kb, which means the 99c limit would be hit pretty easy.
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Mobile+internet/More+Information

Just trying to work out if I would need to go pay monthly to avail of the data bundle or would the PAYG 50MB/99c limit be sufficent if wanting to do the occasional browsing and using the maps.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It only takes 50KB to hit the 99c ceiling so yes it would be almost certain to hit it whenever you use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

IH77 wrote: »
    I am thinking about picking up an unlocked Nokia 5800 and putting my 02 PAYG sim in it.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much data is used using the GPS (e.g. nokia maps)...say for a 30 minute use (never used one before so don't know if it is "connected" at all times or what). Wouldn't use it every day just a fews time a month maybe, weekends.

Info on the O2.ie website doesn't give suggested costs, just says a webpage is about 25kb, which means the 99c limit would be hit pretty easy.
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Mobile+internet/More+Information

Just trying to work out if I would need to go pay monthly to avail of the data bundle or would the PAYG 50MB/99c limit be sufficent if wanting to do the occasional browsing and using the maps.

Thanks.

GPS access on its own will cost you nothing, but availing of the A-GPS functionality will incur data charges depending on how often you either change position, or download new maps that are not already present on the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

If you have TomTom or such, and GPS, it costs you nothing correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Deaddude wrote: »
    If you have TomTom or such, and GPS, it costs you nothing correct?

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I made the mistaken assumption that the OP already knew that just using the gps doesn't cost anything :)

Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I made the mistaken assumption that the OP already knew that just using the gps doesn't cost anything :)

Apologies

Sam, you weren't mistaken! I wasn't sure but the responses have cleared things up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Just to be clear: once you hit the 99c you get up to 50MB for that 99c. 50MB is a lot of data to pull down over a 3G connection.

AGPS uses about 10kb per fix from what I can gather. So how much data it uses is going to depend on how often your application (maps in this case) requests a location update and how long you are out of the range of regular GPS.
    Let's assume you live underground=no GPS. 50MB @ 10kb a fix will get you 5000 fixes - you'd need to target your location ever 17 seconds all day to use your 50mb daily allowance! Not going to happen.

Browsing of mobile formatted websites uses very little data (m.boards.ie uses only 10kb for it's home page for example)
    Browsing regular websites can add us though - the non mobile version of Facebook for example is over 1mb for the first page!

The actual maps themselves you can download from Nokia to your PC and preload onto the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Thanks PMan, that's useful info. I can trial it over a month on the PAYG and see what my average use is like. I will then decide whether a bundle will be more suitable. I think once I get the new toy I will use the mobile internet a lot more so probably heading towards a pay monthly bundle.

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just to be clear: once you hit the 99c you get up to 50MB for that 99c. 50MB is a lot of data to pull down over a 3G connection.
    If you go over the 50MB ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Thanks PMan, that's useful info. I can trial it over a month on the PAYG and see what my average use is like. I will then decide whether a bundle will be more suitable. I think once I get the new toy I will use the mobile internet a lot more so probably heading towards a pay monthly bundle.

Yeah I'm on the Voda contract bundle - €10 for 500mb a month. Compared to their 99c a day offer I'm saving if I use it more than 10 days in the month (assuming that any day I use it I'll hit the 99c mark immediately).

If you go over the 50MB ...

2c per kb, it's pretty clear in the link in the OP. Which is expensive (maybe that's the point you are trying to make?).

For the kind of stuff I do (mobile web, mobile web based email) hitting 50mb in a day would be impossible. I would not even do that in a month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement