Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question on the Practicalities of the Under 20's JSA Reduction?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I see there is already a big long thread discussing this but I have not been able to find the information I need in it.

I can see the logic of reducing JSA for young people in an effort to get them into FAS courses.

The problem as I see it is that suddenly all under 20's will want to sign up for FAS course in order to get the full payment again. There already seems to be waiting lists for most courses so is there a plan to introduce more courses to meet this demand?

I ask this as my job involves working with people affected by homelessness, some of them would be under 20, either living in rent allowance subsidised accommodation or hostels, ie not with their families.

Quite a few have called today in a bit of a panic about this worried that they are about to have their weekly money halved.

Where can I get more detail on how this is going to work, I'd like to be able to reassure these people that they are not suddenly going to get €100 a week as of next week.

I think this plan makes absolutely perfect sense and I'm very much in favour of it but only if there are places available for under 20's to take up education/FAS courses straight away.

I'd appreciate if anyone could offer me some info on this or who to talk to?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnotherHelenD

There are plans for additional fas training places and afaik only new claimaints will be on the reduced amount. There's some more information here

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2009/Pages/pr070409.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

"plans" and "additional FAS places" are two different things...

However, only new claimants will be affected, and, if they find work, and lose it again within 12 months existing claimants will still get the higher rate.

When this starts to happen on May 1, I suggest you encourage any young people who are in hardship as a result of this go around and make their case to their local TDs at their clinics for exemption...

It may be their only chance...though I know the INOU are fighting this tooth and nail right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

So its only new claimants, it seems unclear?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

blobert wrote: »
    So its only new claimants, it seems unclear?

Thanks

It only applies to claimants who apply after May 1st 2009.There are some exceptions. It's laid out quite clearly here:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/supplementary-budget-2009/
    Social Welfare
    Jobseeker’s Allowance
    The personal rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) will be reduced to €100 per week for new claimants under 20 years of age (first week of May 2009).

The maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult payable to a Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant aged under 20 will also be reduced to €100 per week (first week of May 2009).

However, the reduced personal and qualified adult rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance for claimants under 20 years of age will not apply in the following cases:

Claimants with dependent children
    Claimants with a qualified adult and dependent children
    People transferring to Jobseeker’s Allowance immediately after finishing their entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit
    People transferring from Disability Allowance to Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Where an existing Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant gets a job and stops claiming the allowance but loses that job an ends up back on Jobseeker’s Allowance within 12 months
    People aged 18 and 19 participating in a Youthreach course for young early school leavers or a full-time course in a Senior Traveller Training Centre
    Claimants who qualify for the Back to Education Allowance full-time second level course or post Leaving Cert course
    People aged 18 to 19 participating in a full-time FAS training course
    When a person on reduced Jobseeker’s Allowance reaches the age of 20, if they still qualify, they will be entitled to the full adult rate.

There is no change to Jobseeker’s Benefit for claimants under 20 years of age.

If you need help on how to advise the people you are working with you can call The Citizens Information Line on 1890 777 121 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm) . They are usually extremely helpful and they can advise you on general or more individual queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

It is a good thing that j.a will continue for existing receipients, Surely a bad thing though If anybody takes a risk on a job,May,be they dont like/cope with the job,may,be employer will find them unsuitable or buisness goes under.

No incentive there for those 18-20yo,s willing to risk any job offered to them?It would only encourage anybody 18 yrs old now to sit safely on the e204.80 for two years.

I know of a case were an 18&half year old who was told he could not have a fas course so soon after he completed another.I dont know if that rule by fas has changed,but I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ynotdu wrote: »
    No incentive there for those 18-20yo,s willing to risk any job offered to them?It would only encourage anybody 18 yrs old now to sit safely on the e204.80 for two years.

That is not so.If someone under 20 is on the dole now(not a new claimant)they can get a job and if they lose it within on year of starting it they can claim the dole at the full rate that they are presently on.They will not get half benefit if they're forced to reapply.

However, the reduced personal and qualified adult rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance for claimants under 20 years of age will not apply in the following cases:
    Where an existing Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant gets a job and stops claiming the allowance but loses that job an ends up back on Jobseeker’s Allowance within 12 months

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/supplementary-budget-2009/

Advertisement