Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E71

• 08-04-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

G'day! My current phone is reaching the end of it's life I'm afraid so I'm looking to get my first smart-phone. The price is obviously putting me off a lot of the handsets I've found so far but the E71 seems to be feature packed and practical...

The only reason I've yet to buy is the screen:

- it's quite small
    - the resolution isn't the best
    - I'll be doing quite a bit of web browsing and map viewing... is the screen going to hinder my experience?

If anyone who has it / used it can allay my fears then I can go get one tonight! Cheers!

Or if there's another phone I should be looking at that's got good web browsing (WIFI), GPS, camera, sim free/prepay and micro SD slot then I'd love to know about it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Welcome to boards.

Yes the E71 is a great phone, plenty of interest in it on boards. Looking at your demands a N95 would also suit. It has a slightly bigger screen. It has a standard earphone jack, a 3.5mm instead of a 2.5mm. Its also smaller and a little lighter, not to mention a better camera.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

N95 Vs E71
    - E71 is only 7g heavier.
    - E71 I think has the bigger screen
    - E71 offers a higher resolution
    - E71 offers a qwerty keyboard
    - E71 has a better battery life
    - E71 has better standby time
    - N95 has better internal memory
    - N95 has better camera (5mp Vs 3.2)
    - E71 offers bigger picture resolution

Also see:
    http://ourn958gb.blogspot.com/2008/09/n95-8gb-vs-e71.html

Personally prefer the E71 as the N95 is ugly and bulky. E71 is a lot nicer of a phone, offers a lot more battery life and pretty much does everything that the N95 does (in some areas better)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Sully wrote: »
    N95 Vs E71
    - E71 is only 7g heavier.
    - E71 offers a qwerty keyboard
    - N95 has better internal memory
    - N95 has better camera (5mp Vs 3.2)

Also see:
    http://ourn958gb.blogspot.com/2008/09/n95-8gb-vs-e71.html

Personally prefer the E71 as the N95 is ugly and bulky. E71 is a lot nicer of a phone, offers a lot more battery life and pretty much does everything that the N95 does (in some areas better)

N95's screen is bigger - 2.8'' vs 2.4-ish on the e71.
    E71's battery life is indeed enormously better than, well, most phones', really!
    I do sh*tloads of online-stuff with e71 and the 'small' screen is ok(I had an n95, iPhone and also use an Asus p550 which has a 3.5'' screen).
    E71 takes up to 16gb micro sd's, so storage is no prob! Screen is excellent even in strong sunshine!
    It's certainly the best allround device I have ever used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lasers-Pew-Pew

Davy and Sully, cheers!

I think it comes down to price really at this stage, each phone has a lot going for it... I'll have a check online to see if I can find some good deals

The N95 has the bigger screen, 2.6" versus 2.36". If you go for the N95 8GB thats a 2.8" screen.

Both screens are TFT 16M colors and 240 x 320 pixels.

Both the same thing really ;) But yes the E71 does a have a better battery because its newer. The N95 8Gb also has battery very similar to the E71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you considered the 5800 ? Big ass 3.2" screen with better resolution than the E71 or N95. Fits most of the other requirements too. And it's cheaper by far. Mind you, it's not built as well as the E71.
    All depends if you can take a touch screen or not I guess.

Davy wrote: »
    The N95 has the bigger screen, 2.6" versus 2.36". If you go for the N95 8GB thats a 2.8" screen.

Both screens are TFT 16M colors and 240 x 320 pixels.

Both the same thing really ;) But yes the E71 does a have a better battery because its newer. The N95 8Gb also has battery very similar to the E71

No it doesn't! The n95/8 has a different battery altogether. With heavy usage my e71 lasts twice as long as my n95/8. And 'new' has nothing to do with it! My 3 year old e61 runs longer than an n95/8. And that is with the original, heavily used 3 year old battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lasers-Pew-Pew

Yeah, I keep getting put off the 5800 every time I open a discussion about it. A lot of people seem disappointed with it but I do like the larger screen size and of course touch-screen would help with web browsing... The research goes on!

Yeah, I keep getting put off the 5800 every time I open a discussion about it. A lot of people seem disappointed with it but I do like the larger screen size and of course touch-screen would help with web browsing... The research goes on!

I'm not anti touchscreen by any means - I rather enjoy my Asus p550; but I rather question that touchscreen helps with browsing.
    How? For example, a recent large scale poll revealed that a majority of iphone users would like to see a double tap implemented in the iphone's browser because it's so friggin' easy to hit the wrong link that is not an issue with non-touchies, or ts + real keyboard.

Well, oops, no way do I want an iphone debate here hahaha...
    Oh, I returned my 5800 after 36 hrs.
    It's not worth getting imho. The disadvantages far outweigh the grear things it does offer. I'm an s60 fan, and the 5800 feels as if it was designed by someone who never really used an s60 phone. Or any phone sincw the 1110...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭raheny red

Anyone know if the NOKIA E71 WHITE STEEL is available anywhere in Ireland yet, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Someone I know had one last week but I didn't ask him where he got it. It looks very nice actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭raheny red

Someone I know had one last week but I didn't ask him where he got it. It looks very nice actually.

I got it yday - it's very sexeh :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The big difference between the N95 and the E71 (other than the physical size and query keypad) is th4e E71 has a dire camera/video and the N95 a very good one.

Personally I'd love the E71 but the dire camera puts me off. The N95 I'd like only its a brick with poor battery life. Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

Anyone know where you can get a good deal on one? I looked on Ebay but they are only marginally cheaper than buying one in a shop with none of the security so what's the point in that? I'm guessing €229 on an O2 upgrade (my girlfriend's) is probably the best deal I will get?

Westdogg wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get a good deal on one? I looked on Ebay but they are only marginally cheaper than buying one in a shop with none of the security so what's the point in that? I'm guessing €229 on an O2 upgrade (my girlfriend's) is probably the best deal I will get?

Ye, thats probably your best bet. 3 have it for €179 but that would be a 12 month contract which may not suit you.

Thanks Davy. I'm on prepay at the moment and am with O2 so would not want to go on contract with 3. Thanks for your help.

Does this bucko charge from a USB socket, given a suitable lead ?

Me E61 will charge off any old USB source, but my N82 will only work off one of the 4 PCs at work and won't charge from a mains-to-USB plug adaptor.

What's your experience ?

I didn't think any of the nokias charged off USB. Its very annoying that they don't.

long_b wrote: »
    Does this bucko charge from a USB socket, given a suitable lead ?

Me E61 will charge off any old USB source, but my N82 will only work off one of the 4 PCs at work and won't charge from a mains-to-USB plug adaptor.

What's your experience ?

Not chargable using the mirco usb port on the phone.

You can charge it from usb to the power socket. Buy a CA-126 cable. Has a usb and a power adapter.

BostonB wrote: »
    I didn't think any of the nokias charged off USB. Its very annoying that they don't.

Some do, some dont. Less dont in my experience.

Davy wrote: »
    Not chargable using the mirco usb port on the phone.

You can charge it from usb to the power socket. Buy a CA-126 cable. Has a usb and a power adapter.

Some do, some dont. Less dont in my experience.

I know that Nokia doesn'l do charging using the USB connection (more's the pity), but, given the proper "USB-to-2 mm" adaptor, it seems that some Nokias will charge and some won't.

Typically the phone will beep, but then you get a "Not charging" message.

• Advertisement

A non standard USB cable. They really missed the point with that one.

Anyone know how to use the maps function o the E71? I have a mac and have downloaded Nokia Map Uploader to my Mac and Nokia multimedia transfer. I went in there and was using bletooth to connect my phone and I downloaded the Irish map and the English voice. Now, both multimedia transfer and the maps app were recognising my phone and, as far as I know, the mapa and voice were syncing with my phone while all this was happening but I can't seem to find the map on my phone when I looked for it. I'm assuming having the map on your phone allows you to look on the map without connecting to the web? Do I need to re-sync my phone now with the Laptop?
    Also, is there a site where you can get free apps for the E71 and can you download them to your laptop and transfer them to your phone or do you need to download them onto your phone?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

can you not just download maps directly from your phone via wifi nokia maps is already preloaded on the phone
    And re the N95 v E71 the only diff part from the screen is the camera and having owned the 2 I am writing this on my E71 is the slim look of the E71 !
    Westdogg wrote: »
    Anyone know how to use the maps function o the E71? I have a mac and have downloaded Nokia Map Uploader to my Mac and Nokia multimedia transfer. I went in there and was using bletooth to connect my phone and I downloaded the Irish map and the English voice. Now, both multimedia transfer and the maps app were recognising my phone and, as far as I know, the mapa and voice were syncing with my phone while all this was happening but I can't seem to find the map on my phone when I looked for it. I'm assuming having the map on your phone allows you to look on the map without connecting to the web? Do I need to re-sync my phone now with the Laptop?
    Also, is there a site where you can get free apps for the E71 and can you download them to your laptop and transfer them to your phone or do you need to download them onto your phone?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A non standard USB cable. They really missed the point with that one.

They always do, as do Fuji and Nikon.

whiterebel wrote: »
    They always do, as do Fuji and Nikon.

Is that relevant? They don't make phones? :confused:

That said my Nikon and Fuji don't charge over USB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is that relevant? They don't make phones? :confused:

That said my Nikon and Fuji don't charge over USB.

If you want to be pedantic, the second two don't strictly, more a case of big manufacturers who don't implement a standard. It was in answer to non-standard USB, hence the reference.

ah I getcha. Bit like Sony.

I have a iPod, Sony MP3 Player, Sony Phone, Bluetooth ear piece, portable drive, and a couple of cameras. Each one of them needs a different cable to charge. Unbelievable. In future I think I'll only buy devices which have USB charging, and no proprietary connectors.

One thing would make me get a Blackberry 8900 over the E71 is the USB charging.

ah I getcha. Bit like Sony.

I have a iPod, Sony MP3 Player, Sony Phone, Bluetooth ear piece, portable drive, and a couple of cameras. Each one of them needs a different cable to charge. Unbelievable. In future I think I'll only buy devices which have USB charging, and no proprietary connectors.

One thing would make me get a Blackberry 8900 over the E71 is the USB charging.

Have you had a look at both in the flesh, so to speak? I could see very little difference between them physically, and the 8900 was a lot more expensive to buy and run.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Have you had a look at both in the flesh, so to speak? I could see very little difference between them physically, and the 8900 was a lot more expensive to buy and run.

Might depend who you are with. On O2 the 8900 is From €199 to €249 and the E71 is From €149 to €229. So not a huge difference. The BIS (unlimited) is 15 a month and I think a 1GB addon for the E71 is also €15. Of course the 8900 really needs BIS to work fully, whereas you'd get by without it on the E71. Not fond of paying €15 more a month. I'd get by with WiFi tbh. The E71 is slimmer, better built and better battery life. However the 8900 has better keypad, much better camera, (E71 is particularly bad), the 8900 also has a better screen and a 3.5mm. port. The E63 has a better keypad than the E71. Just a tiny bit bigger makes all the difference.

I can't find a phone that ticks all the stuff I want. Decent camera with autofocus, USB charging, 3.5mm port, good batttery, and good PDA/PIM functionality to replace my palm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement