Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to send cash to UK bank?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Okay, I wish to send someone some cash and wish to do it with as few details as possible.

Add to which I dont want to use my existing bank (just want to use cash my end).

Basically I wish to stick some cash in someones account (they live in UK with UK bank account).

Can banks here do this without me being a member). If so what bank, and what details of the person will I need?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Western Union is your man. It's available at the Post Office. It won't let you send directly to the bank account, they'll have to pick it up in a Western Union office in the UK. AFAIK, if you want the money to go to a foreign bank account, you'll have to send it from a bank account for traceability purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gobschite

Toots85 wrote: »
    Western Union is your man. It's available at the Post Office. It won't let you send directly to the bank account, they'll have to pick it up in a Western Union office in the UK. AFAIK, if you want the money to go to a foreign bank account, you'll have to send it from a bank account for traceability purposes.

Western union could be a way.

I dont really care about traceability tbh. Its only 100e so if the person in question steals it, then its not the end of the world.

So if I walk down to AIB and plonk down 100e, and give them the persons Bank name, account number and sort code, will this be sufficient?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You could post a bank draft perhaps? Get the draft, and write to the UK bank and detail what account you want to lodge the draft to. I've done that before with no problems.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

gobschite wrote: »

I dont really care about traceability tbh. Its only 100e so if the person in question steals it, then its not the end of the world.

So if I walk down to AIB and plonk down 100e, and give them the persons Bank name, account number and sort code, will this be sufficient?

No. If you want AIB to send the money for you, the'll need you to send it from your bank account. The traceability isn't for the benefit of the customer (either the beneficiary or sender), it's to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing and the like. The bank receiving the money needs to know where it's coming from.

If you really must send cash, then it'll have to be Western Union. And AFAIR it's not cheap either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

And its not their account number / sort code you need, its their IBAN (international bank account number) and Swift Code (sorta like a global sort code for banks) that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you don't care about someone stealing it then just post it in a letter.

Advertisement