Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Point & Find service

• 08-04-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

home-pointbrowsephone_bkd.jpg
    pointandfind.nokia.com

Nokia have launched the service in the UK and the US. Would be nice to see it spread across the pond. This is already working for smartcodes for programs like 'shopsavvy' but with nokia getting behind this hopefully it should be prevalent.
    Nokia Point & Find is a new way for you to find and connect to relevant information
    and services by simply pointing your internet-enabled camera phone at real life
    objects. Easily, intuitively and on the spot. Nokia Point & Find puts you in the know,
    when you’re on the go.

Just point your camera phone at real life objects and find a world of content just when you need it. For example, point your camera phone at a movie poster and instantly see local showtimes, reviews, trailers – even purchase tickets with just a few clicks. Nokia Point & Find also supports text entry search with directory capabilities. With Nokia Point & Find, shoppers can also point at barcodes of retail products to obtain price information and comparisons

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It appears to be a great service and will eventually make finding items online much easier; I say eventually, as it is currently in the beta stage and only recognises movie posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is something I'm very interested in.. let's see how this deveops :)

Again, heavy on the data no doubt ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Scoping movie posters doesn't appeal that much to me, but if it could do cool stuff like identify birds or check the price of such and such on amazon, that would be impressive.

No pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Where does this process go in the end? Will you be able to flash someones face and load up their Facebook or Bebo (if they've opted in) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Baza210 wrote: »
    Scoping movie posters doesn't appeal that much to me, but if it could do cool stuff like identify birds or check the price of such and such on amazon, that would be impressive.

Thats what the program shop savvy does which i referred to in my original post. Its only available in america at the moment but hopefully over time it will extend its way here.

The movie poster is only one example so don't get hung up on it. Its just a easy example that can show you want it can do. Your at a bus stop, see them movie poster and then you instantly have the option of reading about it, watching the trailer or booking tickets etc.

The smartcodes are alread being used just very little on this side of the world. Japan is probally the major user of them. You can even create your own smartcodes at the minute if you want to take the time to. The whole thing is now having a company like nokia behind it, it should get off the ground over here properly.

• Advertisement

This is now available for some devices outside the uk and US, both n95's, n86 back to the e51 or the 5700. N97 or 5800 owners not welcome

Check if it includes your phone and download it from here: http://pointandfind.nokia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Davy wrote: »
    This is now available for some devices outside the uk and US, both n95's, n86 back to the e51 or the 5700. N97 or 5800 owners not welcome

Check if it includes your phone and download it from here: http://pointandfind.nokia.com/

Damn those 5800 owners, they deserve every scoff they get!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

they released this app as beta about 2 or 3 years ago(for the u.k. And u.s. Only) and it hasn't changed since!

wmMagner wrote: »
    they released this app as beta about 2 or 3 years ago(for the u.k. And u.s. Only) and it hasn't changed since!

They have added other countries now, that was the reason for my new post.

Advertisement