Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

technical drawing replaced next year?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

im studying for my leaving cert as an external candidate, i was planning to sit my l.c. next year,
    i was looking for a syllabus for tech. drawing but on education.ie it says its being replaced by design and communication technology,

is this going to replace technical drawing for the 2010 l.c.?
    Can anyone tell me text book i can use for this?

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

it's already been replaced by Design and Communication Graphics, it will be examined for the first time this June. Be warned there is also a project involved in the new course which involves learning the use of a drawing program.

there's a couple of DCG books listed on the gill and macmillan website.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

DCG is being examined this by June for the first time. Don't know about textbooks and what not but a good chunk of it is using stuff like CAD and that on a computer! Don't do it but most of my friends do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hairyhead

it's already been replaced by Design and Communication Graphics, it will be examined for the first time this June. Be warned there is also a project involved in the new course which involves learning the use of a drawing program.

there's a couple of DCG books listed on the gill and macmillan website.
    DCG is being examined this by June for the first time. Don't know about textbooks and what not but a good chunk of it is using stuff like CAD and that on a computer! Don't do it but most of my friends do it!

thanks, shows how long ive been out of school. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Also for the project, I think you need to have someone to sign off the project and the time that was spent on it. A friend of mine was doing it outside of school this year, but my teacher said he had to have someone sign it off, so he came into the class at lunchtimes to do it. Though all the questions about verification and stuff have already been raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

the project is worth 40%. I'm in LC at the moment.

as mentioned above this is the first yr of DCG. for the project it really showed.
    they were late giving out the briefs (we got them around the middle of Jan)
    they didn't make it clear wat exactly they wanted/how they wanted it
    they had to extend the deadline halfway through (ended up being the last wk of feb) right in the middle of our pres

very amateurish tbh.

with regards to the June exam, 5 sample papers for HL and 5 for OL were all that were given and these papers weren't out till recently to my knowledge.
    I no these teething problems should be out of the system by next yr.

in my humble opinion, it would be a very hard subject to do straight from the book. theres a very limited amount of questions and worked examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

You would need some institution whereby you could do the CAD aspects of the project, as you have to do it in school (or where ever) as it can be checked etc. So you wouldnt be able to do it on your own laptop at home or anything...

Advertisement